Discuss Who and where should Celtic look to strengthen in the January Transfer Window? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Guest

• Sween

As you say, I think an upgrade on Biton to partner Brown should be the priority. I also sense that a lot will depend on how long we expect Dembele to stick around for - if Celtic expect him to leave in the summer then it makes sense to bring in someone now rather than trying to get someone at the last minute.

As regards guys like Sigurdsson, I see no chance that Celtic can afford him or that he would want to come. If he moves, it is going to be to a Tottenham/Liverpool level team. I think Celtic will still be restricted to either up and coming talent in the English Championship like Dembele, out of favour players that used to be highly rated, like Sinclair, or Scottish and Irish players who are maybe fans of the club or want to move home, like Snodgrass? I appreciate he is a winger more than a central midfielder but I think he would be a cracking signing. He is out of contract to a team that will probably get relegated so it isnt unthinkable that Celtic could convince him to join. From my limited viewing of the SPFL, I dont see anyone who would make the grade at Celtic besides maybe James Maddison at Aberdeen who is on loan from Norwich. He looks like a really good prospect for the future.

I also think Celtic need to get rid of the dead weight in the squad. Commons is gone but getting rid of Ambrose, Boyata, Ciftci, Mackay-Steven, would free up wages, and I wouldnt be too surprised to see guys like Christie, Allan, and even McGregor move on if we strengthen the midfield. Getting rid of all that lot, even for minimal money would free up a lot of money. I think we will spend a few millions at the most lowering the wage bill should free up a lot of cash to spend elsewhere.

and like this.
  • centenary88

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    January is notoriously difficult to get decent deals done but I believe this window is critical if we intent to strengthen for qaulifiers/proper next season. Ultimately to compete as best we can we need to strengthen the midfield , right back and the wide areas. It is hard to imagine which players would interest us under Brendan as I believe he will have greater resources than any manager since MON.

• doctor venglos

I think we need four players, five max if Dembele departs in January.
    Whether we get them all or need them all in January is another matter.
    I think we need another like for like replacement for Lustig at right back, as I think Gamboa is only a bit part player, and not seriously viewed by Brendan as a first team regular. I think we need another left back too, unless McGregor is successfully converted into a left back, as Izzy is on his way out. We will need another like for like replacement at centre back to cover for Simonovic and Sviatchenko, as I think Toure is rapidly sliding down the scale. And we obviously need another defensive midfielder, I would like McCarthy if possible, but I see McGinn as a good investment too. Remember Scott Brown came from Hibs and he developed into a colossus, although originally McGinn came from St. Mirren.
    And if Ciftci is not viewed as a first team regular either, then we are going to need another forward. I'm not too concerned about the goalkeeping spot, although if De Vries is released that may change.

and like this.
  • BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    I like big Gordon and he's been brilliant lately but i think he's had his day. Definitely should try and get a younger goalie in who has experience at the top level.

In my opinion Armstrong's form will drop off sooner or later and we should be putting the most effort in to getting a proper DM to play beside Broony.

A young pacey winger would be good as well.

• packybhoy Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Can't agree on the Gordon one. Big man has been brilliant from Dorus started pushing him. I think he has another 2-3 good years. Look how many clean sheets. A goalkeeper is made better with a good defence in front of him. And as or Armstrong ffs the guy is playing out of his skin. Like a new signing. He will be a mainstay.

• Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Dont we have this thread already?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think there is two areas needing strengthened Right wing as Paddy Roberts will be of back to city in the summer and centre/defensive mid as I believe Brooney needs some one in there with him to share the workload,

likes this.
  • Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We need a solid midfielder who can defend. James McCarthy would be perfect but not very likely. Another winger would be good if GMS doesn't show any signs of improving, plus the fact Roberts is only here for another few months.

I'd like a younger 'keeper signed as well.

• ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Sigurdsson already had his chance at Spurs, don't see him getting back to them or any side pushing for the title. Probably not good enough for that level.

We were linked with him when he was at Reading, missed the boat.

Joe Hart? Not a hope, IMO. Never seen Pickford play, know nothing about him other than that he's young, English and rated down South.

For next season/Jan I want to see a mix of proven quality at the top level (EPL, Bundesliga, UCL etc) and a couple of calculated risks.

likes this.

Good point, could we not sign Paddy permanently though and how much/would he be interested?

• John1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would like Celtic to sign one or a max of two players . I would want Celtic to sign
    player (s) who are considerably better than we have and who will fit seeming less into
    team

likes this.
  • Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We need 3 or 4 players around Sinclair's level.

A 'marquee' type signing would be nice. I want McCarthy but not interested in a 6 month loan as has been suggested. So many aspects of that potential transfer would need worked out if it was to happen.

Midfield would be my first priority.

likes this.
  • This Charming Man

Do you want signings in January or are you content with this team for the rest of the season?

I'm not really bothered about signings in January, I'm enjoying letting Brendan play around with the squad.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed nobody in January. No way are we buying 3 or 4 players of Sinclairs talent in that window.

Players like Sigurdsson will be near enough impossible to lure away from Swansea when they're fighting to get out the relegation zone or stay out of it.

I don't want us to rush signings like we did with de Vries. We're out of Europe and we're smooth sailing domestically. I'd rather let Rodgers have more time digging out these hidden gems, getting some real performances out of Armstrong and the like.

• CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    We need 2 midfielders, to along with dropping the dead weight. That should be the first (and only) priority from day one. If we can get 2 quality midfielders in, then we can look at maybe getting in another CB or GK. OP suggested Jordan Pickford, which is a good shout but will never happen. Young, highly rated, English keeper playing in the Prem? Your already looking at £10 million. If I could pick and choose the exact players I'd get in --

CM - James McCarthy
    CM - Conor Hourihane

CB - Liam Lindsay

GK - Thomas Didillon/Rune Jarstein/Eldin Jakupovic

The two CM's are the big ones, any others I'd gladly take in, Lindsays young and got alot of potential, think he's a future Scotland CB. Didillon would be an absolute perfect GK to sign, young, talented, tons of potential. Jarstein and Jakupovic are the established choices you'd love to have in UCL qualifiers. Jarsteins distribution is phenomenal.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

I expect most of our business to be done in January. I think you may end up being surprised.

Going on interviews with Rodgers it seems he feels that way. It is important we get players in and allow them 4 or 5 months to settle before attacking the qualifiers.

The January window IMO is more important than summer for us nowadays, simply because of those aforementioned qualifiers. Getting Sviatchenko in January and allowing him time to settle, get to know the club etc was beneficial even if he did miss some of the qualifiers, he was still important in us qualifying.

and This Charming Man like this.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Lindsay is a bit of a weird shout, can't say I've really noticed him.

• This Charming Man

I get the time to settle argument, that's a good point. The thing is with January signings if you're going for marquee signings you've got to be willing to splash the cash. Erik is a cracking player but was by no means a marquee signing when we bought him.

• CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Understandable. Important to note that I don't see him as a current challenge to our 3 regulars CB's, but watched him 4-5 times and I think he's gonna end up a great player. Not a necessary signing whatsoever, but if we can sign another young, up and coming CB in January I wouldn't complain.

Biggest priority is the need to clean house a bit and clear some wages for James McCarthy's inevitable signing :86:

Mr Shelby likes this.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The marquee signing point I made was just kind of thrown in there, really.

I won't be arsed if we don't go out and splash £6m plus because quite frankly I don't expect it to happen in a million years. It would be nice though, as I said if it somehow was to happen. Now is the time it will under Rodgers, if anything.

I'd be delighted with 3 or 4 players the same level of Sviatchenko, however, that is the point. Internationalist with European experience and one of the standout players in his league. That is the way we should be going. For £1.5m you won't get better.

He wasn't marquee but he was a player who I and a good few others had suggested in the transfer section and I expected him to make an instant impact due to the rep he was coming with. Few EPL sides were seriously looking at him.