1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s our scouting and recruitment plan?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Feb 20, 2024.

Discuss What’s our scouting and recruitment plan? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Our scouting and recruitment plan is a shotgun approach based on luck, previous success in a market (Asia?), age (must be under 22), fee (must be under £3m) and fingers crossed. Nobody will tell me it's any different.

The sickening thing is that we have every single thing a club needs to do well in Europe. Huge fan base, big crowds and money in the bank. What we don't have is a footballing direction.

Or specifically a Director of Football who has the sway and influence to shoot down the bankers in charge and take the club forward.

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has revealed he’s playing a major role in reshaping Celtic behind the scenes with a revamp to the recruitment set up underway.

Parkhead chiefs are looking to replace out going talent spotters Mark Lawwell and Joe Dudgeon and the manager will have a say on the new appointments ahead of a massive summer for the Scottish Premiership leaders. Recruitment has been a major question mark among supporters since Rodgers returned to the Celtic Park hot seat - and the boss has now lifted the lid on the plans for the next window

Rodgers said: “Yes, absolutely. I am part of that process of course. Listen you are always thinking short, medium and longer term, especially if you want to be here for that longer-term. I would love that opportunity to help shape that because I have a lot of experience in the game. The game is moving and changing all the time and I want to offer opportunities here for more of our younger players.

In order to do that you need to plan that. You need to have everything in place below that will give those guys the opportunity. We need to take greater focus on our own players. We will have someone in a role that will come in and work specifically on that, with those young players and others out on loan – helping that pathway to the first team. So, yeah, I am part of that

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Last time he had a say we brought in Lee Congreton….

Surely to * we should of had a replacement picked and ready when Lawwell was sacked? We’re only 6 weeks from the * summer in window opening, worrying.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Only 29, judging from his career, will assume it was cut short due to injury?

A bit of a toe step outside of our usual efforts of appointment if so.

Id like someone perhaps with more experience, but at least this one wouldn't be a jobs for the boys and someone with 3 years experience working in 3 other youth setups.

Nothing to * over, but would at least be something different and I'd be happy enough with that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

5. calmac23

I'm lost, who is this about?

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Someone had posted about Adam Asghar being linked to the u18 job

Edit. Perhaps not in here and TapaTalk played funny with the threads.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

calmac23 likes this.
  7. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Hoping for an announcement soon with Rodgers' comments. Just hire the best we can afford, please.

Mental.

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic, meanwhile, have hired former South American talent spotter Mark Cooper in a revamp of the club’s scouting set-up.

Head of player recruitment Mark Lawwell, son of Celtic chairman Peter, and chief scout Joe Dudgeon left the Parkhead club to ‘pursue new challenges’ in a clear-out of the recruitment department in March.

Previously based in South America, Cooper went on to work in MLS, but the Scot has now been lured back to Glasgow in a full-time role. Highly rated by manager Rodgers, Cooper has been set the task of improving the standard of first-team recruitment.

Targeting players aged between 19 and 23, with international experience and fitting certain financial criteria, Celtic’* rate came under scrutiny after a number of the club’s summer signings failed to hit the ground running at first-team level.

Of the dozen new captures brought in over the last two transfer windows, Nicolas Kuhn was the only starter in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Hearts.

Expected to strengthen in a number of key positions this summer, goalkeeper, the left side of defence, midfield and attack are priority areas and Cooper has already set to work on drawing up a list of players likely to make an impact.

As part of the backroom restructure, Celtic recently confirmed former B team coach Darren O’Dea as Professional Player Pathway Manager with the task of developing the progress of young players at Lennoxtown

Crilly likes this.
  9. Damnati

Was this guy involved with recommending Bernabei or am I thinking of somebody else? (Please be somebody else)

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  10. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

The international experience part I've always found an odd criteria. Surely looking at their attributes and fit for our team comes ahead of having 30 caps for someone.

11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Is he the guy that's always tweeting and moaning about south American players we've missed out on?

Mr Shelby and Lewis Kerr like this.
  12. Lewis Kerr

That's what I thought, apparently he worked with us a few years ago but I hadn't heard of him.

Just remember him moaning and * throughout January at how poor our recruitment has been. He wasn't wrong obviously, but feels like a weird move to bring him back especially after his plethora of comments.

Does anyone know who he's scouted for us before? Or if there's anything useful about him?

Clearly we're not going down the DOF route which is disappointing but very predictable.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    BR probably doesn't want one. Suppose you need to hire the DOF first before the manager

He really needs one because he's absolutely hopeless in the transfer market.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  14. Foley1888

He makes a lot of claims about players we should have signed from South America and that he recommended them. I can’t remember who the players were again off the top of my head but there was guys who are now established in top leagues.

He also said we shouldn’t sign Bernabei I think so he gets a thumbs up for that.

Hincapie at Leverkusen I think was one he claimed he told us to snap up then, he had a cracking Copa America, I think it was and Leverkusen bought him. There were others though I just can’t remember who.

One I hope he does recommend is a left back called Rikelme Rocha, who is playing in Brazil for one of the smaller teams in the top division. He is a big, athletic left full back that is pretty good both in attacking and defending.

Lewis Kerr, Wllm and Crilly like this.
  15. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Plenty of good talent in South America. We just need to learn to navigate that market better.

16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Is that not something that is pretty much required to get a work visa for foreign footballers?

17. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Apparently recommend Andrey Santos to us, said deal was done for £4m and then we pulled out at last minute and signed Abildgaard instead.

Hmmm I wonder why??

Foley1888 likes this.
  18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Here is a photo of Lawell and Desmond's "recruitment" plan...

[​IMG]

End of.

* all is going to change.

Lewis Kerr, Peej, TIART and 1 other person like this.
  19. calmac23

Yes. He agreed a deal with Andrey Santos (said he spoke with his family, convinced him to join us, fee was affordable) and also always tweets about other players early (Enciso, Valverde).

It’s a good appointment I’d day. A big Celtic fan with lots of knowledge of a market we 100% should be shopping in.

Foley1888 and Hammy89 like this.
  20. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    If you give me 12hrs, I could fix our transfer policy and scouting.

LectersLuncheon, NomDePlum and Peej like this.