1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Celtic Alex Valle

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Aug 26, 2024.

Discuss Welcome to Celtic Alex Valle in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. T.Rogne25

That’s why I think he’ll be an important player at times this year, Taylor plays that inverted role as well as anyone I’ve seen tactically but he doesn’t even overlap his winger even as a decoy.

Valle can at least make the pitch a bit bigger if need be.

Will take time to learn that role in our team, a lot harder than it looks essentially playing as a midfielder at times even though it should end up with 3 or 4 short passes as an option in theory.

JamesM09 likes this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Full back Greg Taylor will miss the Dons clash through injury but Rodgers reckons borrowed Barcelona ace Alex Valle is starting to find his feet in Scotland. He said: “He’s a good player, now he's settling in, he's seeing how it works, strong, quick, serves it well. and the big thing with him is, which I really like – especially when he came on against Dortmund – was belief. He believes he's a player and I've always said playing for Celtic you have to believe in yourself.

It's just going to be the case that there's not going to be 11 players who will stake the claim to play in every single game, because games will be different and we'll need different things. But as long as we're getting performances from players that are coming in then that's what's important

neilly1987 and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Big chance for Valle that. He had a good game against County one of few for me but he was positive without forcing it, a constant option and sound defensively. Could improve on his crossing etc. but positive signs.

But it’s also very obvious that we miss what Taylor brings in there, and thats that domestically at least (lets put Europe aside for a minute), Taylor helps our midfield have an iron grip on possession and allows a guy next to Calmac to bounce off of that gets the other two ahead of Calmac up the pitch pretty much attacking midfielders/auxiliary wingers. And it’s extremely apparent when he’s not there, it affects us. Valle has the close control and passing, movement to be able to step into that role for me, whilst bringing more danger attacking so more mixing it up. He learned at La Masia he will know how to play in triangles pass and move make himself an option, supporting Calmac. But Aberdeen being next he needs to learn it quickly. Because it’s an incredibly important part of our game. And because it’s Taylor that does it and his flaws in traditional full back areas, largely goes ignored.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think Valle will cope fine.

He's clearly very talented and coming through that academy he will be well versed in playing numerous roles.

I think he's really growing the more game time he gets.

neilly1987 likes this.
  5. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’ve not any doubts about him coping personally to be fair, and will possibly shine, much like the things we miss when Taylor isn’t there, the stuff Valle brings naturally is the stuff Taylor doesn’t really.

Fans will lap that up. But as a team, him adapting a bit to support McGregor in the middle like Taylor does, balanced out with his own game, I’ll be delighted. The time he’s been on the pitch for us so far, not due to him btw even the Falkirk game he wasn’t impressive… Taylor not being there in the inside role hindered the midfield majorly.

I’d even say that Dortmund game Adeyami not allowing him to do anything never mind step into midfield, * our options in the middle. The style we have been flying with relies a lot on what Taylor helps Calmac do in there. And he gives him room to play in.

6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

It's some culture shock going from Catalonia to getting clattered in the Scottish League Cup. But Alex Valle reckons he’s finally finding his feet at Celtic – and he’s ready to make his mark.

It’s been a dizzying first few weeks for the borrowed Barcelona full back. He was handed a debut against Falkirk and ended up face first in the dirt a couple of times in a brutal introduction to Scottish football. He dusted himself down to impress after coming on in the second half in the Champions League drubbing in Dortmund and then looked the part in the last-gasp win in Dingwall. Valle has been waiting for his big chance and with regular left back Greg Taylor injured for next week’s showdown with Aberdeen, the Spanish kid is ready to slot in and stake his claim

The 20-year-old revealed Taylor has been massive in helping him settle and he reckons the friendly rivalry can only benefit the team. Valle said: “I don’t know Greg’s situation. I don’t actually mind. I just try to work for myself, and if I have the opportunity to play, I will give my best every game. I don’t mind if it’s Aberdeen or if it’s another team.

Valle thought he knew Celtic were a big club before he arrived from the Nou Camp. But he admitted he didn’t quite comprehend just how big.

It’s another thing Valle has had to get his head around – along with the Scottish weather. He said: “If I had to pick one thing that has surprised me I would choose that the club is maybe even bigger than I thought

I thought it wasn’t quite so big and I didn’t expect such an atmosphere like the one at Paradise. The level of the game here in training and in each game as well is awesome. So I’m really happy. I like living in Scotland. The weather is getting worse every day

I have to wait until November, December. They told me that! It’s a good city, it’s a really good city and I’m enjoying it.

“Obviously, I have close friends from Barcelona, who I talk with every week. Then family as well, coming here and enjoying it as well. So I’m happy personally.”

It wasn’t quite so enjoyable on that frantic debut against Falkirk. Boss Brendan Rodgers described it as a crash course in British football, and Valle has got the full Celtic Scottish experience in recent weeks from Parkhead to Perth, then Dortmund to Dingwall, with a jaunt across the Irish Sea for a friendly with Sligo Rovers to round it off.

Valle said: “Well, it was all kinds of emotions, because Celtic plays a style of football that everyone knows is different from the standards of nowadays. So mixing that with playing in a more physical league, it was a mix of everything but I think I’ve been settling in here very well. I’m feeling confident.

“I’m just trying to adapt, to follow the instructions. I’m trying to see what I do wrong in every game, in every training session, so that I can be better here. I knew already when I came here that there were lots of matches but it’s great for a young player like me. I want the most minutes I can get.

There are a lot of contrasting games, that actually explains it really well. We have played in a lot of different places in the last few weeks in the league, in the cup and in Europe.

“It was a bit step by step. I started in the cup, trying to see where my position was, to be better. Then I came into the Champions League and then into the league. I’m trying to feel better every game.

It does seem that way on the pitch. Valle looked the part in the hard-fought win at Ross County and was one of the few to emerge with any credit from the Borussia Dortmund battering. The youngster came on after the interval when Celts were already 5-1 down and the second period was not quite as savage

Valle said: “Well, maybe. I had a good appearance. The result was really tough to take. It was a difficult situation to come in to but if I was there I just told myself that I was confident I could do well.”

Valle got another 45 minutes under his belt in Sligo where a fringe Celtic side scored a couple of late goals to seal a win at the Showgrounds and get set for next week’s Dons clash. He said: “The good thing that we can take is that we fought till the end, with everyone involved

FCBarca likes this.
  7. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Just read this online, cheers for posting

Out of curiosity, how would one procure tickets to a CL match at Celtic Park? It’s been on my list of venues to visit one day and CL seems like a good occasion to go. Couldn’t find CL tickets on the club site

8. calmac23

They’ll go on general sale a few days before the game, but will be gone in around 10ish mins.

Check @SparesCeltic on Twitter and tweet at them, probably the best way to find a spare for a game

FCBarca likes this.
  9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Thought he was decent enough today although looked to be playing in high heels at times just falling all over the place

neilly1987 likes this.
  10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He honestly doesn't look much faster than Taylor does.

He wasn't bad today but he isn't near the same level as Taylor currently, but like Trusty, it's far too early to judge.

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I like him. He's good good awareness and positioning. Will nick the ball off people's toes a lot throughout the season.

Couple of dodgy moments today right enough, * it badly over on the right to let their player through, luckily big Scales was immense at getting back and blocking the shot.

Think he'll be a great addition over the season.

12. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Mixed bag from him today. Think Taylor is still better but he's only just in the door and probably needs to build up some cohesion with the team.
    He needs to stop running as fast as he can into tackles or towards the ball because it takes him out the game if he doesn't win it.

CookieMonster likes this.
  13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
  14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I quite like him, decent in the air, wee bit sharper than Taylor although not really that quick but passes and moves well takes up good positions in midfield and links play.

Played well with Forrest although Maeda completely nullifield him in the first half by just avoiding taking part in the game.

Only poor thing I felt was when he got into positions to put it in the box he just cut it in towards areas, thats fine for Maeda but he's a decent technical player and could look up and pick people out.

Was at least two times late on where guys could have been picked out and twice he just hit it into an area without looking and nobody was in those areas, one Idah and I think Kuhn could have had a tap in if he hit it right across the line.

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Some really nice play and some really poor play too and basic mistakes. Think of all the January signings he deserves the most leeway as really this is, I believe, his first time playing first team football. Looked to lose a bit of confidence as the game went on.

We definitely need Taylor back and fit as this lad will need support as the season progresses.

16. stew37

Thought he was decent first half. The second half collectively was a bit haywire and don't think he was any worse than the others, some decent attacking play as well.

DonnyCelt and NomDePlum like this.
  17. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    vs Aberdeen

-90 Minutes played
    -115 touches
    -67/76 Passes completed
    -12 Passes into final third
    -2 Chances created
    -2/4 Successful dribbles (highest for Celtic)
    -0 times dribbled
    -1 Shot
    -1/1 Tackles won
    -2 Clearances
    -1 Interception
    -3 Recoveries
    -1 Shot blocked
    -1 Cleared off the line
    -2/5 Long balls completed
    -1/7 Crosses
    -7/8 aerial duels won
    -Was fouled 4x
    -Won most duels (14) in the match
    -0.10 xA

Crilly likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Thought he was poor tbh.

His crossing was beyond bad.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Moved to general thread mate.

For what it’s worth I don’t think he was great yesterday at all, it seems like he’s having a bit of an issue adjusting to our system. He’s clearly a talent but yesterday he just looked a bit lost at times for me.

20. mayo

Looks an improvement on Bernie but not Taylor. Very young and needs time to adjudt to a new country, players and system tbf. Here’s hoping he can be better than Taylor because as solid as he is domestically we need better in Europe.

I could literally say word for word about Trusty comparing him to Nawrocki/Welsh but not looking as good as Scales who again need better to progress in Europe

NomDePlum likes this.