1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Wayne Rooney

Discussion in 'World Football' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Mar 7, 2013.

Discuss Wayne Rooney in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bratfurdbhoy1

I bet he knows the words to 'Come out you Black and Tans'!:56:

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He probably is physically, he's never been that fit, always came across as a player who probably still eats junk food daily like an average guy off the street and not a top footballer.

Then theres the games he's played, I think over 650 club and international games already even though hes 29 that for 95% of players is more than a careers worth of games played.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Usually find guys whose played from 16/17 years of age start breaking down earlier as well.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just makes the achievements of Giggs, Maldini and co all the more remarkable.

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, wear and tear on the body. Rooney probably is about 34 footballing wise as he's never really kept himself in top shape.

Schweinsteiger I see why Bayern let him go too watching him this season, although he only turned 31 in the summer he is an old looking 31 too. Not much power in his legs and lacks energy, you would think he was 34 or 35 as well, physically and the way he's cutting about the park reminds me of Paul Hartley with us where you could just tell that he'd lost his legs basically since the day he signed even though I think he was 29 when we signed him.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Did any of you watch the program about him on BBC 1 last night?

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I would say Di Natale, Totti, Cafu, Zanetti and Maldini are some of the only ones who played past 35 who were still good though that I can think of. Giggs played till 40 but you feel if he had retired at 34 he wouldnt really have been missed, he was an ok player at the end of his career but for example he'd probably never have got a game for a Chelsea or Arsenal then he was more a squad player for a lot of years.

8. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

I never read his book but an article I read said he wanted him to play in midfield he wasn't getting a game otherwise so Rooney was unhappy ,No doubt Ferguson knew he was going down hill

He wanted to leave and Ferguson said he had to put in into writing ,if he did this
    He would loose out on all transfer fees but didn't

Had to leave it for Moyes to sort out .something like that anyway

9. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Then. Few months later he on £300k a week :56:

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Never even looked at it like that..

11. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Seeing those clips of him in his early years just made me remember how * explosive and entertaining he was to watch back then. That front 3 of Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez was epic at times.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Was basically a front 4, with Giggs in there as well. I think that was Fergies best team.

13. Duncan

it wasn't.

rooney lived on potential most of the time, he has good numbers but if ruud had stayed hed shattered those numbers easily

its a pity hes going to break sir bobby's records, he doesnt deserve it

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fergie's best attack was; Sheringham, Solksjaer, Cole and Yorke. By some stretch as well.

If he is breaking records he deserves it, it's not 'a pity'. Longevity is one reason he should be applauded not put down.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I still think it was, just there were better teams kicking about in Europe at the time. If he breaks it he deserves it.

I still think that one with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo, was something else man.

16. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    That front 3 reached the CL Final back to back in 08 & 09 mate, not sure how many better teams there were. :smiley-laughing002:

I preferred watching the 07-09 attack but thought the 97-99 quartet were more effective and hardworking.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Barcelona mainly, probably the greatest team in history that Barcelon team at that time.

18. Duncan

in terms of numbers that was the one, yes. but I loved the 2006-07 with saha, ronaldo, solskjaer and rooney, ridiculously fluid, we played the bst football I can remember, and frankly we were the best team in europe, something I cannot say with any certainty in 99. WE were very unlucky with injuries against Ac milan, otherwise we should've won it that year, more so than against chelsea or bayern

personally I think the best records should be held by the best players, and only by legends of the club, rooney wont ever be regarded as a legend, for starters he isnt even a fan of the club, and he wouldnt be at the club if fergie had sold him like rooney wanted

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Whether you like it or not Rooney is a Man United legend and will go down as one.

Saha at his best was a scary player, was it just injuries that * him?

20. Duncan

not many hardcore fans would agree with that. if you made a poll on the stretty I bet nowhere near 50% would say hes a legend

his numbers are hard to dispute though, but Ill try :smiley-laughing002:

mentally he was extremely weak, but as player he was silky and talented like very few Ive seen. I reckon hed gone to be the best french striker of all time because his movement and the things most people dont see, made the entire team pay better football. His runs off the ball were unsurpassed, made spaces for everyone, and his vision was sublime, plus he was very strong back to goal. He really was an all around striker who had everything in his locker, except a strong mentality. He also had a tendency to miss the easiest goals and score the most absurd ones, but he really made the team play the best brand of football Ive seen from a united side. Then came tevez and later berbatov and our style got progressively more predictable