1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Close fight! I thought Usyk landed the more damaging shots, (robbed of) a knockdown, and had dictated the pace towards the end.

If Fury kept using his jab and was busier, I probably would've given it to him.

The right guy won. Yassss.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Not comparing Wilder and Usyk.

I'm comparing where Fury is mentally. When was the last time he couldn't look another fighter in the eye before a fight.

3. kenniemk2

Think it’s the 7th or 8th round usyk hits fury with a shot to face can see it breaks his nose blood starts flowing and from that point fury uncomfortable constantly trying to clear his nose then gets rocked in the ninth … really was the start of the fight gong pear shaped for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. murphy88

It’s a big pantomime. Rematch incoming no doubt for both to make more millions.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t put much weight in the stare downs etc.

I do think the occasion may have finally caught up to Fury, but that’s entirely of his own making tbh. This was really a legacy defining fight for him, and a chance to cement himself as the top heavyweight of the generation. Now he’s a guy with multiple wins vs Wilder (who is arguably not an elite heavyweight at all) and a very good win vs Klitschko, although in a terrible fight. Usyk has his own pressures in terms of Ukraine, but his legacy in boxing has been established through his body of work at cruiserweight alone.

I think Usyk should retire now. Nothing left to build towards in the sport, and speed/activity will be the first attributes to decline (it has already imo). The attributes Fury has in terms of sheer size will still hang around, but I can see him going off the rails after this.

Hammy89 and Liam Scales like this.
  6. FrankMcCallum

Usyk’s controlled pressure won that fight.

Fury dominated the mid rounds but there’s only so long a man can fight on the back foot against that physical and mental pressure.

It cannot be put in to words what Usyk had to overcome physically there. To work his way around Fury’s reach to land effective shots shows how much of a master he is.

Olympic Gold medallist, Undisputed at Cruiserweight, Undisputed at Heavyweight, fighting away from home almost his entire career.

Legend of the sport.

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Utter masterclass.

An amazing legacy.

He shouldn't retire though. I want more of him.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Amen to that.

The bolded really can’t be overstated. Usyk has been my favourite active fighter for sometime, but I thought he would fall short here. I said around round 6/7 that he was just too small, and lacked the power at the weight to really turn the fight around.

To shift the momentum of a fight against a guy 40lbs heavier and 6 inches taller, when you’re noticeably tired and hurt, takes an outrageous level of resilience, even by the standard of elite fighters.

Most people just reach a compromise in the ring where they know they’re not winning, and choose to fight to survive.

FrankMcCallum and cidermaster like this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

That AI shot landed thing they kept showing should just be the judge for every round. Hard hits count more etc Then add the rounds up. No human error or favouritism or utter daft claims when the lose at the end. Iv never liked theee human judged contests, too open to bullshit and favouritism. Although the right guy won, can see this technology being the judge eventually.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Fury only recovered because the ref did the standing count and the round ended. Some common sense is needed at that point in the round, especially when it’s bascially one punch needed.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Very close fight, Usyk probably right winner purely for the fact he was up against it from the off and overcame the mountain in front of him. Has to be right in the mix for P4P.

Rematch will be fun.

12. celtic warrior

IMO if Fury is wobbling like that in the middle of the ring and starts going down the way he did only to be caught by the corner ropes but instead face plants into the canvas... the ref calls it.

Fury was shaken there, if he flops to canvas after that onslaught the ref 100% calls it, Fury wasn't home and tbh, I think he was shaken more there then he ever had been against Wilder.

He was on his way out whe he was going down, but credit where its due, somehow his body still kept him up even with the catch from the corner ropes, so he deserve some credit there for showing some heart in that moment.

But anywhere more central to the ring and the ref absolutely calls that on the spot

13. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Ove these past few days that Frank Warren has shown himself to be utterly pathetic and embarrassing with all his excuses.

kenniemk2 and cidermaster like this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It was a great fight, think the 9th round sealed it for Usyk, he has the ability to change the course of a fight, always stronger in the later rounds , for long spells though it was 50/50, a proper contest.

The fight actually lived up to the billing.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Buzzing for Taylor/Catteral on Saturday, hopefully I cannae mind it come Sunday celebrating a double right enough but this is one fight with unadulterated and genuine bad blood. The rematch has been a long, long, time coming.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  16. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    Taylor vs Catterall 2 coming up shortly. Taylor will have to put on a better performance than he did in the first fight

17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Heart says Taylor, head says Catterall.

Will be able to tell straight away if Taylor has anything left of his old self or not. If he does, he'll cruise the fight, easy. My worry is there's too many miles on the clock, on a bruised and battered body.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

This is fascinating

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  19. Sgt Neppers*

Better from Taylor this fight, but Catterall very clever. Good stuff so far.

20. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Catterall is taking over a bit here. He's a great boxer. So clean