1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DonnyCelt

Well deserved. Another 10 seconds in the 9th and Usyk would've won by knockout.

All the showboating from Fury in the earlier rounds came back to bite him.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  2. FrankMcCallum

Disgraceful comment that detracted from a great performance from both men.

BigWilly likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Looking at him in the 12th round as well, think he genuinely believes what he was saying - he thought he won, and is genuinely blaming Usyk winning because of sympathy for Ukraine.

Think Usyk rocked him silly, because he came into the 12th on the front foot looking like he knew he needed the knock out. Then seen it out like he had it tied up on points.

Either that or he gave up and thought he couldn’t. We’ll find out what one it is if when he starts his pish with the rematch talk, he has previous of saying publicly he’s doing everything to set up fights and behind the scenes making demands that make it not feasible, and blaming the opponent.

Fury being a * aside, * me, Usyk man. What a boxer, I thought he was done for by the 6th. He looked * in the corner going into the 7th. And he just completely recovered, got stronger as the fight went on and schooled him. His fight IQ’s off the charts man. Fury’s a master at guiding fights the way he wants and carrying out his plan to a tee, he’s big fast and awkward and he is intelligent as * in the ring. Usyk schooled him. The judges points were much closer than I thought it was in reality, how any of them scored that to Fury even 1 point ahead slightest of margins baffles me.

Jamesy Bhoy 7 and Hammy89 like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fury showboats in two ways, when he’s rocked, been caught and nervous. Either for false confidence or angering his opponent into daft decisions.

Or when he thinks he’s scooshing it. Seen both types of that tonight, the three he won 4, 5 and 6 was the cocky thought he had the fight exactly how he wanted it. Early rounds and late rounds he was doing it after he was rocked and worried.

DonnyCelt and NakamuraTastic like this.
  5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I said that when ref should have stopped the fight. Seen fights stopped for less.

Excellent usyk won

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    When English commentators and the Sky boxing team had Usyk win by a larger margin, and they are always biased towards UK/English based fighters, and a ‘neutral’ scores it like that it highlights either the guy is clueless and not clued up enough for what he does or corruption. If there wasn’t a rematch clause already, I am absolutely convinced they would have scored it a draw somehow. We’ve seen that before many times, boxings a joke for corruption.

Something I’ve always meant to look into and never bothered is just how judges are qualified to score it, the credentials they have in the sport if any to score a fight in a way that you can trust they have the experience in the sport that they can be trusted.

It seems like random * sometimes.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The fight shouldn’t have been stopped then for me, he done good there. Fury was saved by the bell, and while he was rocked the rest of the fight and effected, he wasn’t enough to prove that wrong for me.

We’ve seen loads of fights stopped for less tbf you are spot on there, but I usually think it’s not giving guys a chance of recovery. Fury did recover, he just couldn’t do anything to Usyk to use it. He tried to rest for two rounds at least, after the 8th. And his resilience is unreal. He just had no answers to it and Usyk was going from strength to strength, and had an iron grip on the fight. That was a * masterclass in how to boss the ring.

8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Agree to disagree

Either way. Fury can go * himself as the hearnes and what nots

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely his interview after was pathetic. Even disagreeing with the above mate, if it should have been stopped or not, it not being stopped has made him reach for the most bonkers excuse I’ve ever seen any fighter do to try and explain away to himself getting outclassed - * blamed a * war for being absolutely dominated. Usyk is unbelievable man, I’ve an odd relationship with boxing these days, love the sport but hate the organisation, bullshit, corruption and the nonsense that comes along with it.

Usyk’s a boxer that makes me remember why I love it. Mayweather might be the only other guy I could label as a smarter boxer in the ring, but he was boring as *, Usyk is * entertaining and a master. Buzzing with that tonight

greengrocer and Hammy89 like this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I agree. It was close to being called off though. Referee did well allowing Fury to recover.

Mayweather was amazing but * boring. Just dodged everything and threw 5 punches.

Usyk is aggressive with his smartness.

Cannot express how good that fight was and how Usyk absolutely dominated that fight.

I don't think Fury is anywhere near his peak that we've seen though.

The rematch will be mouthwatering.

Liam Scales likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely was close mate, I thought it was brilliant refereeing. Think Fury also played it a bit smart, dropped his guard and stopped fighting to stay up (absolutely got smashed down and couldn’t do * all about it as well) so he could get the ten count, if he kept using the ropes etc to stay on his feet, it would have been called because he couldn’t do anything at all about what Usyk was dishing out.

Physically might be the fittest we’ve seen Fury for me, he was strong, fast and was hitting hard. Those 4-6 rounds showed just how dangerous and at the top of his game he was I think, he got absolutely outclassed though. But the 2nd fight I agree, Fury has an incredible ability to change up his style and perform at the exact same world class level.
    That fight last night for sheer boxing smarts might be one of my favourite ever

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Martybhoy53

I have my doubts there will be a rematch. If there is I can only see another win for Usyk. He is a warrior and a very clever boxer. To blame the war for getting beat is pathetic and desperate from Fury. Frank Warren is another turnip. The best man won on the night end of.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye Fury has previous for saying one thing publicly, and negotiating a nightmare deal that will be knocked back and blaming the other guy for backing out. The money on the line for it though, I think he will do it.

Think you’ll see that rematch, then Joshua at Wembley for megabucks and he’ll doss off into the sunset the big *.

14. celtic warrior

See the round where Furys soul leaves the building and he's body is just wobbling from corner to corner bouncing off the ropes.

More often then that fight normally gets called by the ref no?

I think to some extent, he can class himself lucky there

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Disagree on the bolded.

For me that was legitimately one of the best versions of Fury ever to show. Sharp, strong, quick, whipping in power shots.

People look at his career through rose tinted glasses. The vast majority of times Tyson Fury has been in the ring, he’s looked significantly worse than he did last night.

Liam Scales and cidermaster like this.
  16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    The Wilder fights were his peak for me.

I think there's more to him being at his peak than just his physique. Mentally, last night didn't come close to Fury in those Wilder fights.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He looked very similar. Widler simply isn’t comparably to Usyk. It’s like us playing through a domestic level press then struggling with a CL level press. Levels below.

Usyk’s whole game at heavyweight is to effectively overwhelm his opponent with outstanding boxing, constant pressure, and insane levels of resilience. I don’t think Fury has ever had the mentality to really go into the trenches with Usyk.

Liam Scales, Hammy89 and cidermaster like this.
  18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Just perfect that after the years of the supposed big 3 heavyweights of Joshua, Fury and Wilder fannying about with negotiations and ducking one another, it’s a blown up cruiserweight who has come and cleaned house.

19. kenniemk2

It’s a great humbling story to be honest the most humble honest hard working guy in the division is the one that topped it the right person is the one that is at the top now

Btw theirs no way fury is taking a Joshua fight if usyk who was two stone lighter can rock him … then Joshua will rock him I thought aj performance in usyk second fight eclipsed fury performance in that fight last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Well I was not too far off :84:

King of Kings likes this.