1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just don't get it, he's a really poor CB who's constantly injury prone, is it purely worth keeping him for the homegrown quota?

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Plays fine when needed and is probably paid peanuts, will probably only leave when he wants to.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Homegrown and least fussy most likely..

Lagerbielke wants to go and play. Nawrocki likely will also. They probably know they're no wanted here and we'll be looking to upgrade..

Scales and Welsh will have no problem being rotated/backup options for when we go in to the market..

Dublin Celt likes this.
  4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    People talk about him sometimes as well like he's terrible and lets us down and is like useless to us. He's played about 60 games times for us now and never really had a bad game.

He might not want to leave either, his Celtic careers a bit like that Nacho from Real Madrid, lingering about for years only playing now and then never really considered to be that good and fans wondering why he's not left yet but if hes decent enough to stay in the squad and plays a decent amount most season theres no point in chasing him.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's no good enough to be honest but it is what it is :giggle1:

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Where we're at just now he's no1 back up..

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    To start no but to play 10 games a season he doesn't worry me, when he's used to replace Starfelt under Ange I felt he did play like a poor mans Starfelt, just a wee bit slower but brought the ball out the back the same and was as good in the air from a set piece.

Same now if he replaced Scales I think he'd probably bring the ball out the back better than Scales although last season he played with Scales mostly, that is worrying as both are then quite mediocre never really cost us last season though.

Playing with CCV I don't mind but in the CL beside Scales then you'd be * yourself.

It's mental how we've not signed a new partner for CCV though if Rodgers doesn't think Nawrocki or Lagerbielke are capable he can't be stupid enough to be fine with Scales and one of them and Welsh as back up.

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

It says "at this stage of the window". We'd be mad to get rid before we have another CB in.

I feel we only will if he pushes for it too.

88jimmij88 likes this.
  9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    If we are trying to move on Nawrocki and Lagerbielke but can't i'd imagine then you'd loan him out and use them but if we get them out and a new guy in then he'd probably stay as 4th choice.

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye that's fair mate, I just think he's a really poor CB and I'd be fine getting rid, but it makes sense keeping him when it's clear neither Lagerbielke or Nawrocki are fancied.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Decent squad player, main objective is to sign a quality CB to partner CCV, and try to offload as much of the deadwood as possible.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  12. oh bhoy

bonkers decision to turn down a move for him

13. Champions67

Just pointless not moving him on. Had plenty of chances over the years and will absolutely never be good enough to be a regular starter for us.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He’s never had a bad game?

He’s mince. Miles out of his depth.

McGrory1888 and Mr Shelby like this.
  15. cammy07

No harm to him but he’s nowhere near good enough even as back up for me. Gets rag dolled by anyone remotely strong or rinsed for pace constantly. Last game of last season was a * horror show tbh despite it being a nothing game.

Keeping him solely because he meets the homegrown quota is doing him no favours either. He’s at an age where he needs to get out and play games regularly, not sit warming our bench because he happened to be born in Scotland.

Haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s better than Lagierbielke, never mind Nawrocki. He’s also made of glass which is absolutely no use as a centre half.

16. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jan Venegoor Of Hesselink
    Welsh should have been loaned out for 1 or 2 years sometime ago, clubs like a St Mirren then Aberdeen similar to Scales, too many bad injuries not enough game time to bring out the quality I’m sure we all hoped to see come to fruition. Let’s be real him Scales are not going to cut it, nothing wrong with the lads just we need to kick on not just domestically but also in Europe. They aren’t the only ones Lagerbielke Nawrocki and Murray too.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s a squad player here for the quota and usually plays well, but he’s too injury prone.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The classic FM academy player you keep for the champions league.

Sween likes this.
  19. themouth1888

Probably going to announce 100mil in the bank this year and can't lose Stephen Welsh as he's too important.

We are gonna end up on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries in years to come with this *.

The_Bhoy and Mr Shelby like this.
  20. constant

Welsh is a good Celtic man they keep telling us, but he is patently not good enough for us, and should have been moved on years ago, but a succession of Celtic managers have seen fit to keep him, it is a head scratcher.

This Welsh is a squad player here for the quota does not hold water with me either, surely we have another decent home grown player for the quota ?

And not Mikey Johnson either because he has had his chances and it is made of matchsticks.

Dane Murray maybe?.