1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott McKenna

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Jun 11, 2024.

Discuss Scott McKenna in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    90% passing. 100% backwards or sideways tho

AdamRS likes this.
  2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I 100% agree mate. But im genuinely curious as to the source as i dont know if the ones iv seen are accurate. Mckenna has never been known as an excellent distributor of the ball. It isnt his strength. But he has qualities as a defender, especially in the air.

Starfeldt was shaky on the ball at times, but his positioning and recoveries were very good.

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    But then they would be for both players? So how are you measuring “efficiency”?

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    im sure they are just as reliable

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

FootyStats is as accurate as you’ll get.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Statistically Kris Boyd is better than every Celtic striker domestically in modern times than anyone but Larsson.

But we all have eyes and can contextualise those ‘facts’. He was a one trick pony poacher and a dumplin’ of a footballer and we have had several better strikers.

Ken what I’m saying?

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Scales' passing accuracy doesn't actually tell you much when the majority of our passes are between the two centre backs. Scales is absolutely * on the ball, has a terrible habit of dallying on it too long and passing behind players.

Tim-Time 1888 and Foley1888 like this.
  8. Foley1888

This is ridiculously accurate he also passes constantly to his team mates weaker foot. Something Greg Taylor has a bad habit of doing too. The two of them combined down that left are a toxic combination.

See when you add in Maeda doesn’t like the ball to feet especially with his back to goal we have three players that basically always kick the ball the direction they are facing with minimal consideration of the pressure they are putting team mates under.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I wasnt trying to say scales was anything special on the ball, if you read my posts you will know that.

Lets not be fooled, Mckenna isnt some kind of ball playing centre back. I was an advocator of signing him from Aberdeen and iv seen enough of him to know that. His strengths lie in his power and athleticism. He isnt an amazing passer of the ball.
    Yes stats need context, but so does using a term like efficiency.

I dont need to be told that most centre backs passes are lateral or to the midfielders and so yes they are expected to have a high passing accuracy. But scales use of the ball wasnt as bad as people are trying to make out and theres been far worse centre backs at celtic over the years with the ball at their feet. Scales isnt the long term solution and i hope he is replaced with genuine quality, but he deserves huge credit for where he has come from and how he did in his first full season. Never hid away and always gave his all.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Giving his all is what is the bare minimum from any starter tbh and that type of praise is only ever used when someone isn't actually good enough (Johnny Hayes often got the 'gave his all' praise because he was actually quite *). Scales deserves credit for his contributions but it's clear he's nowhere near good enough.

I think McKenna would be an improvement, but obviously I'd like better if we can find it.

11. KEANO1

Sections of fan media suggestion today that he is looking for 40k a week.

If that’s the case then quite rightly we should be saying no thanks. Strange approach to be demanding that amount when without a club.

I’m sure there will still be legs in it yet however.

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Pretty sure he was on that sort of cash at Forest. He will also be free, meaning he can demand a higher salary from clubs, given they don't have to pay a transfer fee.

3 year deal, £1m sign on fee and £20k a week would get it done, I'd suspect. I'm not entirely convinced we will be in for him. If we were, I reckon the deal would have been done by now.

KEANO1 and SK89 like this.
  13. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    We can certainly afford to pay £1 million signing on fee and £20k a week, hope We are for him because We need strength in the backline.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's just left an EPL side. 40k is the going rate for a squad player down there so it's hardly surprising.

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Foley1888

I doubt he will get that sort of figure, anything I can see on him suggests he was on between £20-24k a week at Forrest.

No doubt he will ask for that sort of figure but I can’t see Copenhagen or the likes offering him anything near £40k a week.

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I'm not surprised he's asking for it, seeing what he can get. I don't think he will get it but if he says £30k at first teams will try and offer him £20k. I think he could get £30kpw.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Think some folk are undervaluing a player/not aware of football salaries in general who is a full international player, who wouldn’t cost a transfer fee and who has played in England, on the over inflated wages they offer.

18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Apparently was only on £20K at Forrest, a good sign on fee and 25K would be more than enough surely plus bonuses for CL.

kenniemk2 likes this.
  19. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  20. henriks tongue

Would the 'some folk' also be Peter Lawell?

SK89 likes this.