1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocco Vata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Jul 8, 2021.

Discuss Rocco Vata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

2. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Unless you’re KT level you aren’t getting a chance in the first team here . The League cup is too important to use for youngsters as we are in a trophy war , and the demand is to win every tournament domestically . It’s a nightmare because those who are truly exceptional often get pinched at 16/17 and head to England , like Billy Gilmour over the city , Ben Doak another .

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't really blame him for leaving. There's no pathway.

Imagine sitting watching Yang and the likes getting game time last season whilst he wasn't getting a sniff.

That would * any young player off.

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

So medical on Friday then

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Good luck to him. Hope it works out for him but I doubt it especially given how unstable Watford are with how often they change managers in recent seasons. Plus the current new one Tom Cleverley got the job after only winning 2 of 9 games as interim boss. Including Cleverley they have had 14 managers since January 2019!

6. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    really have you ever thought he just isn’t good enough and wasn’t putting it in on the training pitch? Heard he had a suspect attitude could be partly that. Pathway would be there if these players are good enough

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I find these type of posts a bit frustrating tbh..

We've failed our youth players our youth structure doesn't work.

Forced to play in the Lowland League, that hasn't worked and needs a rethink.

We've mostly given jobs to the boys to try and develop them. Although Adam Asghar is a welcome 'external' appointment.

We recognise talent too late and they move before we tie them down or give them opportunity in the first team. Whilst signing players like Yang and Tilio.. but blame them for having a bad attitude. No evidence of that really but if someone was having a detrimental affect on your development, you'd be angry too.

We're building proper facilities for them at Barrowfield, all good.. but now get someone in with fresh ideas to oversee our Youth setup & our overall footballing structure(Repeat in several threads, fan surveys, bored family friends and myself)

NomDePlum likes this.
  8. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Let’s be realistic about this. Brendan Rodgers and John Kennedy know a player when they see one and clearly don’t think Vata has any chance of breaking into the first team so are letting him go. Hes not good enough it’s as simple as that. The guys gone to Watford and I can guarantee you he won’t go on to be a sensation down there, even at the lowly standard of Watford. The kids simply not good enough to play for Celtic.

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Not for me to be honest. As I always say, if they are good enough, they will find a pathway through to show their worth at first team level similar to McGregor, Forrest and KT etc.

I’m against shoehorning youth players in for the sake of it unless i) they are better than what is out there, or ii) there is significant potential and they would benefit from an extended run in the team.

However that type of potential has not been seen in a while. A lot of the supposed big shots like Dembele, Harper aren’t exactly pulling up trees since they have left.

Has there been any youth player we have happily let go that has genuinely went on to play consistently well at a decent level in the last 10 yrs? Obviously discounting the likes of Doak and Morrison who we begrudgingly let go as they had the opportunity at clubs at a much higher level.

The fundamental issue for me is what is happening in that 15-19 age bracket when there should be exponential development. By the time they are 20, they should be in a position to compete for the first team so there is an inherent structural issue at the club there.

However, I can’t be more unequivocal in saying that the answer is not to shoehorn them into a Celtic first team and just see how it pans out. As it seems some would like.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 10:20 PM
    belfastcelt and Wllm like this.
  10. Sgt Neppers*

Peter will add this money to the £4m bid for Idah, then mike drop this * as a final offer for him.

Seriously, it's another youngster away with zero opportunity to show case his ability. No pathway from juves to the 1st team.

Clearly something a miss to let talent go as freely as this.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

McGregor, Tierney and Forrest. That's all our academy has to show for the last 15 years, in regards to real first team quality players. 3 in 15 years. It's an absolute disgrace.

The level of coaching isn't good enough. There's no clear pathway for young boys to get into the first team. And our use of the loan market is a mess. Why wasn't Vata, for instance, loaned out a year or two ago to play proper football, instead of being stuck in the Lowland league?

As @JC Anton said, it's jobs for the boys. Even Adam Asghar. Ex-Motherwell (like half our * coaching set up). Got a job at Dundee Utd when his dad was sporting director.

Another no mark.

AdamRS and JC Anton like this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Good luck to him. Didn't get played. Why would he stay. Thought he had an impact the little I saw of him when getting a few minutes in the first team.

13. Maestro 08

Did we not offer him a new deal? I think Rodgers said he was talented but intimated there was some background issues. Whether that being his head getting turned or his application. I remember he made a big deal of talking up Daniel Kelly and his attitude etc in what looked like a sideways dig at Vata at the time.

14. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Such a shame that another exciting young player coming through the ranks and feels he has no future at the club and moves on so good luck to him, must be frustrating watching all the 2 million pound projects coming in and getting game time before him.
    Hopefully the club will wake up and give the kids a career plan and hopefully this will lead to homegrown players instead of always buying in talent.

Peej likes this.
  15. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Don't think we will miss much tbh, I think Mikey was miles ahead of him at the same age. Good luck to him getting a decent pay pack down there though

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    There had been talk that his attitude was stinking

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Always liked the look of him in the little time he got,

Don't know if I wanted it to work a bit more due to his dad an that

18. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sorry to see him leave, think there is definitely talent there. Best of luck to him.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was levels above Vata at the same age 100%..

Decent player and that's it..

Crilly likes this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Another one not developed and let go.

No players, unless you're unique as *, is born ready for a first team and with all the knowledge and gifted talents to perform.

Players show promise and potential, coaches and clubs need to develop and coach them.
    Teach them, educate them and help them grow as a young player.
    If they aren't helped, they will stall. If they stall for too long, they'll lose their chance to excel and perform at the best level they can.

Vata may, of may not, have gone on to have a decent career at Celtic, we will never know now.
    But we absolutely never game him the tools and the chance to develop at all.

Good luck young lad.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk