1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Did he sign a new contract at one point? I heard turnbull was on between 15-17k a week. I don’t think it’s too unrealistic. Lagerbielke came in straight on a £13,500 a week contract

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I’m with you on that one. I’m still hoping it’s just paper talk but disappointed if that’s the case that we pulled out over that wage

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Apparently Greg Taylor is on £15,000 a week aswell after he signed a new contract inn2021 and he’s brutal. To think we don’t value bernardo 1,500 more a week than him. Think Abada was on £17,000 a week roughly too after he signed his new contract

martin_d likes this.
  4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Taylor isn't good enough to be a starting left back for us but he gets unfair criticism in my opinion. The fact he's playing every week should be aimed at the board and the recruitment team, not Taylor himself.

Taylor is a first team starter, who has played nearly every single game, every week. I can at least see why he's on a higher wage. Bernardo was barely playing the last few weeks of the season.

Taz and honda like this.
  5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

For what taylors gave us imo 15k has been reasonable value this day n age.

Crilly likes this.
  6. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah but that’s the thing that’s wrong, we have someone like Greg Taylor who shouldn’t be in a Celtic team starting every week on decent wage and a lad who came in at 21 on loan who was good when played albeit bit part due to being a loan and having our best player (Matt O’Riley) in his position deemed not worth basically the same wage.
    I’m critical of Taylor just cause I know he’s nowhere near it. I’m more critical of the board though yeah. I didn’t mind when Taylor signed as I thought he was coming in to play back up to a good left back. 4 years later he’s still starting which is bad from the club

7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Aye.

On Bernardo, it's hard to tell what sort of wage we should be offering players when no one really knows what the dynamic is in terms of salaries. There were rumours the likes of CCV, McGregor, Kyogo and Hatate were over £30k. I think the problem is we bring these guys in on higher wages and if they don't make it, we then can't get rid because teams can't afford the wages on offer. Lagerbielke being the obvious one, where an Italian top flight team can't match his wages.

I can see why the board don't want to give him a huge salary but I don't think £16,000 a week is a huge salary but that's me guessing on where our salaries are. I would have thought someone on £16k a week would have been on a middle of the road salary, by our standards.

The problem as always is we have a huge amount of utter pish on our books and the salaries we are spending on these * frauds could and should be used to upgrade our salary structure. Smaller squad, with higher wages.

Crilly likes this.
  8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I get what you're saying, I just wouldn't have used Taylor as an example. I probably would have used someone like James McCarthy, who we know is on about £15k a week and plays in the midfield. There are far bigger issues in our squad than Greg Taylor earning £17k a week, in my opinion.

Crilly likes this.
  9. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Tbh mate I was actually gonna use James mccarthy as an example but thought someone would say how he was a seasoned pro coming from the likes of everton and palace and still only 30 at the time….. I actually wanted us to sign him back then admittedly ffs. But yeah him, I also said, Taylor, turnbull and Abada as examples of players around that wage

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah tbh I don’t think wages like that is that much in modern football I was just using examples of lads around the same wage as him.

11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Genuinely just had a wee gander on google at potential Celtic Salaries and it's crazy if it's close to even being remotely true. It comes from September 2023, so Hatate, O'Riley and CCV won't have their new contracts at that point.

McCarthy on £14k a week
    Tilio on £12k a week
    Bernabei on £12k a week
    Oh on £15k a week
    Turnbull on £16k a week
    Nawrocki on £20k a week
    Siegrist on £15k a week
    Holm on £13k a week
    Lagerbielke on £13k a week

That is a scandalous amount of wages being wasted, right now. £130k a week. Which is about £6.5m a year. * crazy numbers. Would we have been any worse off without any of the players above last season?

12. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah I know mate it’s mental, salary sport I think is the one that’s usually closest but usually different sites have slightly different figured so I’ll go into maybe 2 or 3 and average it but yeah it shows the money we’ve been wasting weekly on absolute deadwood.
    That’s why I think it makes it worse if we wouldn’t pay that for bernardo. I know there’s mixed opinions of him from our support but he would definitely play much more next season if he was to sign especially if O’Riley went. Last season was his bedding in period imo. So it makes it strange if we’re refusing to pay them wages especially with the money we have

13. Onefootwonder

Bernabei is out on loan and Turnbull was sold during the transfer window.

Turnbull also scored 7 goals in the leaguer and some of those goals directly led to points.

I don't think Nawrocki has had a fair shot. He's done fine in games he's played.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Guess this depends how you want to view our ambition and our valuation of players.

Is Bernardo actually good enough to help us step up a level? If deemed so, then he deserves a wage that would reflect that, which Turnbull was on 16/17k and Taylor on 15k, then surely if we feel Bernardo to be better/more use to us than Turnbull, then there can't be much arguments against his wage demands. Comparatively.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Crilly likes this.
  15. kenniemk2

Also football is about scoring goals attacking players will always be on the higher wages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    If the rumours are true that He is on £30k a week would rather We just move on to other targets,He is a very average squad player at best and not worth the transfer fee or wages.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Why was it rumoured he only made 5k a week around 2 months ago? It's silly season. Nobody knows.

kenniemk2 likes this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Turnbull wasn't good enough. Bernabei is a disaster and Intercional are sending him back as soon as they can, which has already been confirmed. He has 4 years left on his deal.

Nawrocki probably hasn't had a fair crack at the whip yet but for £20k a week? He should have been showing far more than he has done so far.

19. Onefootwonder

Turnbull didn't fit Ange's style of play and lost his way. He had done well for us.

134 appearance with 31 goals and 23 assists. I'm sure if we looked through his contributions a lot of of them were very important.

20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Don't really want to get into a Turnbull disagreement on the Bernardo thread because my overall point was that we are spending far too much on players that aren't contributing, while refusing to give someone like Bernardo a semi decent contract of £16k a week.

Turnbull has already left so I should have just left him out but £16k a week for Turnbull seems a lot to me, given I don't think he signed a new deal so he came straight in from Motherwell on a large weekly wage. His numbers were actually very very good. No denying that but we were a weaker team with him in midfield than we were with without him, in my opinion.