1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Bernardo is not a first team starter and definitely not worth £6 million, highest offer should be £3 million at a very last resort other than that We should move on if Benfica want more.

2. stew37

Can see us not getting him and reading about him signing elsewhere further on in his career for 10-15m, whether that's from Benfica or from a team that's stumped up the 5/6m they're apparently wanting.

3. saltire78

He's a youth international from a good nation, he's professional and capable... You're not paying for what you have right now, it's what you'll have in 2 years time... No way we get him for £3M. Maybe haggle down from 6M to 5M, but never halving the price

stew37 likes this.
  4. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    £5M to £6M is not worth it for a project, would rather We look elsewhere if that is what Benfica want, £3M with an option of £1M for bonuses is the highest that We should offer at a very last resort and that is being generous, Bernardo is not that great a player and by no means a direct replacement for O'Riley if We do sell Him.

If We get Him fair enough but if We don't its no great loss, very average player at best.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Most of the players we sign are projects though. Even if we're signing young players from higher quality leagues and for more money, they're still projects.

O'Riley, Hatate, Jota, Dembele, Edouard etc. All projects.

It's a bit of an overused word on here.

Wllm and honda like this.
  6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    It probably is and we should always try and sign the best projects we can. I think the problem is that the players you mentioned above showed far more than Bernardo has in their respective careers.

The big money we spent, on Jota and Edouard, they had spent the time on loan here. Jota was more than worth the £6.5m to sign. Played nearly every game for us and contributed 27 times(13 goals,14 assists) in 40 games. He's worth the money. Eddy had 13 goals and 4 assists as a bit part player, even though he still played 30 games, he played far less minutes as backup to Griffiths and Dembele. He was also only 18 years old when he came here and we knew we could develop him. When he signed permanently, he had only just turned 19 and we knew we had a really top young talent on our hands. £9m was expensive but he was probably worth the fee, given what he produced at such a young age.

O'Riley and Hatate were miles ahead of anything else in their leagues. O'Riley was playing at a completely different level to everyone else in League One. You seen that in the analytical chart someone on twitter created, he was a joke in that league. He could have and should have been playing at the very high end of the championship or even the Premiership. That was 2 and a half years ago. Hatate was the same, 2 years in the Japanese top flight, multiple trophies won and the MVP for the champions of the J-League. He was excelling in that league and was comfortably able to make the step up, which he has done. If we manage to get the fee for Bernardo down to £3.5m, it's a good deal but we signed O'Riley and Hatate for less than that combined. That's what good scouting can do for you.

Dembele was a cross border fee of £500k so won't go into how much he was worth but he had banged 17 goals and provided 7 assists in the Championship, at 20 years old, for a very competitive Fulham team. It was an incredible deal for us.

I think £3.5m is a good enough deal for Bernardo and I think we should try and get that over the line but I'm still convinced that you can get far better out there. The price of the player is irrelevant to me in most circumstances but I do think you can get players who will be far more effective for cheaper and players who would be far better and would cost far more. What Bernardo will bring is a bit of familiarity to the squad, given we could be seeing a few players from midfield moved on. Which is why I think we should get the deal done. It strengthens the squad and I do think he could develop to be a bit better. He needs to show far more than he done last season, though.

7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Why is everyone going on about the transfer fee. It's been reported we've already agreed a deal of around 3.5m for him, it's his wage demands that are putting us off.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    The Portuguese media were saying we hadn't agreed and Benfica were refusing to budge. The same Portuguese were then saying he's on massive wages at Benfica and wanted them matched ar Celtic.

The same Portuguese media made up all sorts of crap about Jota when the deal was practically done and he was on his world tour.

I don't think anybody really knows what's going on

kenniemk2 likes this.
  9. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    20k a week should not be breaking our wage structure ffs

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Would after tax not mean he'd be earning closer to 30k a week? No way would I be paying him that.

Either way it's likely a load of bollocks. The media clearly have zero clue what's going on with this deal, I think the hold-up is very likely due to the fee, the £3.5 million quoted 2 weeks ago was obviously bullshit.

11. Luz1904

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Yes, the tax rate in Portugal for anyone making over €82,000 is 48%.

If his take home pay is €20k a week, he will be on close to €30k a week. Absolutely no chance should we be paying that for him.

BigManSmalls and HTG like this.
  13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    If we can't afford to pay a player like Bernardos wages I hate to see the players we are going to end up with.. its not players wages that are the problem it's our wage structure and signing 20 * projects and paying them what we could pay 4 or 5 good players..

Anyone thinking this window is going to as bad as yhe last few? I'm getting that vibe already

Davbhoyinoz, honda and Peej like this.
  14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    There's no way we are giving him over 30k a week. I like him but he's not worth that imo

15. Onefootwonder

I struggle to believe those figures. That is high wage demands for a reported £3.5m player.

Over £20k per week after tax in Scotland would be over £40k per week before tax. It is well outside our pay structure.

That would make him the highest earning player at the club. McGregor the captain is paid between £32-37k according to reports. Below him CCV gets £24k and most other key players less than £20k.

Peej likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm doubting that figure is true, it would make him an absolute exception to the rule for most players in his position.

Unless he actually was a first team starter for benfica the season before that we all didn't realize?

Either way, I also find it absolutely baffling and hard to accept that we wouldn't have known that wage when we first took him on loan. Benfica would have told us that at the time, making any pursuit of him pointless from the off.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

17. James Gold Member Gold Member

Cant say I'm bothered tbh never bought the hype barring a short spell around new year. I always felt the 5k chat was well off he might be worth 20/30k to someone but its definitely not us for what was essentially a squad player although you would have to assume we've known his wage for some time

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024 at 11:55 AM
    SK89 likes this.
  18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I see the potential in him, but i would not pay to much for him. He have not proven himself enough to warrant a high fee transfer.

SK89 likes this.
  19. PaddyJamieson

It's even more mental given income tax in Portugal is through the roof. Pretty sure it's something like 45% if earning between 35k and 50k, and 50% from 50k up. I'd be very surprised if he is on that amount.

EDIT: just looked it up and it's 43.5% between 35k and 50k and 45% from 50k up to 90k, give or take. Still eye watering. And there's no tax free income either.

20. Mince.Charming

Hes the perfect replacement for Oriley but now we're probably losing both.
    Losing Idah, losing Hart and I don't trust us to find better players.