1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum

Supporters need to stop obsessing over how much he’s costing as though it’s coming out of their own pockets.

He’s already shown he has the ability to play here, contributed in huge games domestically and in Europe, works hard, displays a great attitude, and has in game intelligence.

Yet there’s a few posters, brilliant posters at that who have changed their mind from definite no to definite yes because we’re apparently paying £2million less. That’s less than half of what we paid for Albian Ajeti, yet it’s a dealbreaker for some.

Even at £6million it should be a fairly straightforward decision.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Blame the years of penny pinching and tightfisted nature of the club.

We all know we have 70m and then some in the bank and money shouldn't be an issue when it comes to a signing like Bernardo.
    But we are decades of it being drilled in to us, that a 6, 7, 8m signing is the highest we would spend. That 6m on Bernardo would equate to about a third or a quarter of our overall budget. It shouldn't be, as there is more money there to be spent, but history tells us, this would be a massive outlay if it was 6m.

The change in heart about a definite no at 6m and a yes at 3.5m is the knowledge(see hope), that the other 2.5m may be put to better use in getting in a CB. instead of a 3m CB we may get a 6m CB now.
    Hope dies last though.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That’s what supporting Celtic does to you.

In today’s game, he’s 100% a £6m player. But you just know that if we spent £6m on him, then that’s less money to spend on other areas of the team.

We’d then try and go cheap for a goalkeeper or left back etc.

4. henriks tongue

Anyone be surprised if someone in EPL comes in with the £6M whilst we continue to haggle?

Benfica don't have to waste their valuable time negotiating the odd million with scrooge mclawell over this, they work in a different market to us.

5. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    This guy will turn out to be a bargain at £6m I reckon, very pleased indeed we're signing him

Only £3.5! Even better

Random Review, Crilly and honda like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Likely we will still go cheap, that's Celtic.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think this sums up pessimism over costs well.

Random Review likes this.
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

HoopyT likes this.
  9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Right ye have had your holiday * sign now, but feel free to go visit your pal in Jeddah first and bring him back with you

10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    See if someone said to you we are linked with a £6m bid for the Portugal under 21 captain with champions league experience we would be buzzing just * get it done

11. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Exactly this.

It really baffles me the amount of supporters who have been conditioned into thinking £6m is a lot of money in this market in the year 2024.

Perhaps it was 20+ years ago when we managed to sign Lennon, Hartson, Sutton for £6m.

Since then? Football inflation has lead to monumental CL deals; TV and sponsorship deals significantly higher; selling players for £20m+ on the regular; revenues from everything including ST prices to the price of a steak pie. Our turnover is at record levels.

Yet there are folk conditioned into thinking that anything more than 3m is expensive. Who is asking these Qs at the AGM?

FrankMcCallum, Lewis Kerr and Crilly like this.
  12. john2061

The board have brainwashed a few supporters to think this way with all their Scrooge ways for years and we are still signing £2 million buys when we were doing these kind of signings 15 years ago.

Lewis Kerr, Crilly and Peej like this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's not that we don't know the value of £6m and players.

It's that we know we are only gonna spend about £20m total, while still taking a profit on MOR. So £6m is a third of our "budget"

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Plus Bernardo isn't a 6m player.

Celtic_Daft1888 and Peej like this.
  15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nope, he's a 10m player as will be proven next season.

16. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    It’s completely wrong though.

Nobody is holding the board to account with questions about why our purchasing power in 2024 is significantly declined relative to 2003.
    In fact it’s not even purchasing power but reduced in absolute terms too.

When someone at the Board can give me even an half decent explanation as to me how it was possible to purchase 3x 6m players in 2003 but struggle 20+ years later then I will let it lie.

Maybe someone from our very nice fan media that get auto-invited to the AGM can ask the question? I’d happily ask the Q but would be like the lottery getting selected for the handpicked crowd.

Crilly and Peej like this.
  17. kenniemk2

It’s not purchasing power that’s the problem board have said they be happy to spend a significant amount on a player it’s the wages that a player in the higher bracket wants that puts the board off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    We really wouldn’t. I’ve pointed this out before but Portugal’s last captain has ended up back at Benfica because Alkmaar don’t want to purchase him for £2.5m. It doesn’t really mean anything.

19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don’t think it’s about obsessing over money. The reality is we have a budget and £6m is likely to take up a significant portion of that budget. Let’s be generous and say we have a £25m budget. At £6m, we are spending a quarter of that budget on a player who wasn’t a first team regular, while still needing to find a starting GK, a new LB, another CB, an O’Riley replacement and another Striker. We probably need another winger as well, let’s be honest. At £3.5m, I think it’s a good enough deal for Bernardo. There is an element of risk with this signing because for the majority of the games he played this season, he didn’t really do anything. He wasn’t * but he was essentially ineffective.

I don’t know why you’d bring up Ajeti, to be honest? We paid £5m for a player we should never have signed. I don’t think anyone will disagree with that. I don’t think it can be as simple as saying ‘this guy was a dud at £5m, so we should pay £6m for this guy because he done ok during his loan’. Bernardo wasn’t even getting in the team towards the back end of the season. He barely played. Rodgers was going with Iwata, when he was taking off Hatate and moving McGregor further forward.

I know on paper it’s only £2.5m but you’re nearly halving the fee. It means we are likely to go out and sign another midfielder. If we sell O’Riley, we need to sign a far more experienced midfielder than Bernardo. You put Bernardo in that midfield instead of O’Riley and we are weaker. At £6m, I don’t see him coming in and being a squad player, I see him being first choice. I think it’s different at £3.5m.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We need to just up the budget overall.

Spend every last dime. Could easy spend £50m this summer and not blink.

Crilly, henriks tongue and Rydo1888* like this.