1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I dont

Random Review and Peej like this.
  2. Mr Diggler

Bernardo hasn't been great at all. Had a bit of a hot streak around Christmas but apart from that didn't do a lot.

3. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Personally I don't think he's done enough yet to warrant a permanent deal. He's had some good spells but overall I don't think he's offered enough. I would try for an extension of his loan by 6 months and challenge him to make himself a first 11 regular. If he does then great and we pay the money but if it's more of the same inconsistency then we accept it's not meant to be.

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
  5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are confident they are close to striking a deal to sign Paulo Bernardo on a permanent basis from Benfica.

The Hoops took him on loan last season with an option to buy for just over £6 million. Celtic are looking to see if they can negotiate that and get the fee down. Talks are progressing well with Celtic willing to give more on add-ons as well as a sell-on fee. Brendan Rodgers is keen to sign the Portuguese playmaker on a permanent basis, with the 22-year-old aware he has no long-term future at Benfica

Bernando has made it clear that his preference is to return to Scotland and he wants Benfica to strike a deal. Celtic are also looking at a number of midfielders. Lausanne Sport’s Alvyn Sanches is one who the Hoops’ scouting team are monitoring. He is rated at £4 million but Bernardo remains the preferred target.

Crilly likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No sure on this one..

Has some qualities but don't like his running style. Bit one paced..

Missed quite a few sitters and although his pressing/shutting down stats will be good, he never really stood out bar a couple of games and couldn't cement a place in the side even when some big hitters were injured..

Clearly does have talent though but I'm no sold personally..

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  7. Maestro 08

£2.5m with some performance based add ons to take it up to the £3.5m mark & a sell on clause would be a fair deal but at the quoted £6m? it's a pass from me.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. kenniemk2

Just conveniently forgetting he set up idah at ibrox and produced a bit of magic out of nowhere leading to idah winner in Scottish cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Has shown well in bit parts,but imo not in my starting eleven.

10. Sween

Doesn't feel like he is at a level to become a regular starter yet and he's miles off Oreilly if the plan is to sign as a replacement. And for 6m it feels like we would get more value for money elsewhere.

That said if he's happy here and Rodgers likes him, he's young enough where he can still improve a lot. Doesn't excite me but not massively against the idea either.

11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

We won't get anyone for £6m. We'd pay £3m and get someone who's probably not as good.

12. PaddyJamieson

He's not going to replace O'Riley and it would be unfair to expect him to. He's a different type of player - smart, safe, great defensively and can chip in going forward, an all rounder. He's not going to play that 10 role and get 30+ goals and assists. I'd be very pleased if we bring him in but we absolutely must sign a more creative midfielder who's a goal threat as well.

Wllm, 88jimmij88 and Random Review like this.
  13. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

MOR wasnt exactly a goal scorer until this season. In fact Bernardo scored the same amount this season as MOR last year probably playing about half the minutes. I think Bernardo definitely has another level or two in him if he was to come back and be a starter next season.

14. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

Exactly this, paid 3 for holm… I’d rather go with spending a bit more on a known quality.

JML67 likes this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Exactly, mate. I've always seen him more as Mooy's replacement than O'Riley's.

honda and PaddyJamieson like this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would sign him for £4m.

But I think we need another midfielder and would hope we are targeting one. Maybe two.

17. celtic warrior

I reckon Bernardo has it in him to be something like Mooy.

Isn't typically a regular but off the bench can be counted on to make impacts in big games

I'd be happy to see him sign for around the £6mill Mark... that is bare minimum for these types of players in the market really.

£6mill today isnt the same as £6mill when it can get us the likes of Lennon, Hartson, Sutton etc...

Random Review likes this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree with that, although I wouldn't personally write Holm off yet. One thing I've found quite striking about our transfer policy is that we've seemingly been willing to splash the cash for players that have had successful loan stints here.
    If you take away the MON signings (when we had a totally different model), then 3 of our most expensive 4 signings were former loanees (Jota, Edouard, CCV). This makes sense as even well-run clubs often find nasty surprises to do with temperament or well-hidden proneness to injury after signing players. For a club like ours that doesn't have the structure or personnel in place to do sufficient due diligence, it makes a massive difference to the level of risk. Rodgers, Kennedy and the sports science and medical staff know him inside out.

So spending £5 or 6 million might seem a bit much to some people if they are comparing him with players in general; but when you factor in the reduced risk, I think he's well worth it.

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No doubt it isn't. If you want a Lennon or Sutton, you're paying twice, three times that for our level.

But we also got Jota and CCV for 6-7m

We can expect more for that value than what Bernardo currently offers at present.

I'd sign him, think it's wise to negotiate the price down a little. But he's far from a first team starter as we stand.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

What you spending the extra £2m on?