Discuss Our Midfield in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I've mentioned it across numerous threads for about 10 year now, but seriously, days like today are a prime example of when our midfield is absolutely useless.

We have too many players who do the same thing. When a side want to get in our face and have power and pace we absolutely * the bed.

We need a couple players like Bissouma and Sarr who our old manager has happened to walk into a squad with.

We have very little versatility and when Hatate is out its even worse. I really despair at how we can't see this.

Kwon isn't the answer..certainly.not right now. How can a side who wants to supposedly compete in Europe sign a 22 year old who's spent most of his career in K League 2, as an option to tighten up at DM?

I'm really worried if we don't sign another midfielder in the next 10 days. In Europe we come up against powerful, pacey players who are also technical and to match that we at least need the power and pace because 9 times out of 10 we won't have a player who is technically as good. Playing beautiful football all the time and winning in Europe is a pipe dream for us.

If we don't address it, it doesn't matter if we sign a new LB, GK and LW for me as that's where a lot of our issues are stemming from when things ain't going our way.

2. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Far too many similar style of players, all far too slow, all lack creativity.

Mcgregor has looked miles off it so far this season

NakamuraTastic and Dan Breen like this.
  3. James Gold Member Gold Member

An actual proper holding midfielder that would tackle his granny is what we've needed for about 10 years.

We've needed a Wanyama type since Wanyama left

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Another 10 years from now you’ll still be mentioning it.

5. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The thought of that midfield in the champions league scares the * out of me

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We need that but we also need a no8 who can run with the ball.and knock past *.

So slow and boring.

7. Lewis Kerr

I'm sick to death of saying this as well. How can a club like ours ignore such a key position for the last decade? The previous system made us dominant in Scotland but in Europe we were badly exposed.

The simple fact is unless we finally address it we'll get demolished again in Europe and honestly there's an argument that we could lose the title. We've already given up one of our trophies and it's only August for * sake.

MynameisEarl likes this.
  8. cammy07

They visibly shat it when pressed high within the first few minutes.

McGregor nowhere near influential enough in there and the other two were completely non-existent.

The back 4 constantly passing it sideways and backwards didn’t help either but the lack of movement in front of them was an utter joke too.

blackfish likes this.
  9. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    .....is * awful.

Lewis Kerr and Mr Shelby like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's a massive problem..

Whenever we get beat or drop points against anyone half decent, it's usually because our midfield has been too weak, or slow and been bullied or overrun..

Happens a lot on counters..

Anybody that watched the likes of Rogic or Turnbull together or an O'Riley and Turnbull etc no exactly what I'm talking about in regards to no legs and being overrun against anyone competent in there..

Just go and sign someone who can play and do the dirty side of the game. If it isn't an outright 6 than why no someone who can do that with real athleticism as a box to box type..

Annoying as *..

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The worry for me is it doesn't seem to be high on the agenda at all.

Any slight rumour we are getting fed isn't really mentioning a CM.

neilly1987 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  12. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I would say it's the weakest part of the team but this team has got so progressively worse since last season that it's now difficult to say which area of the squad is in fact the worst.

In any case, it's been obvious for some time that we're just too lightweight and too pedestrian in midfield.

Mooy made a significant contribution last season, at the expense of the wimpy O'Riley, which was welcome but also a concern. It alarmed me that a guy with some mobility issues on the wrong side of 30 was, at times, arguably our best player. Again that's not intended to be a criticism of Mooy, but more an indication of where the others are at.

Even if Mooy hadn't retired I'd have been looking for his replacement, someone with similiar quality but younger and more dynamic.

Why this has not been prioritised is anyone's guess.

13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    McTominay is what we need. Put everything into constructing a deal to make it happen and we'll have a chance of getting to where we need to be.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If we don't sign at LEAST one CM before the window shuts I give up.

neilly1987 and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Highly unlikely we will sign a defensive midfielder bcoz well it's us and we never * will.

Make best of what we have. Play Iwata in there and get Mcgregor back playing as an 8. Every team in the league now know how to neutralise him when he's playing as a 6. Stop him and you essentially stop us so we need to find a way to free him up and get him influencing games again.

16. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm gonna repeat myself here (apologies for that):

Imagine loosing Reo next week ...

VT8 likes this.
  17. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    This is it in a nutshell.

In the 10 years since he's left, we've had a Wanyama shaped hole in our midfield that's never been addressed.

Rodgers, Deila, Lennon and Ange all refused to properly look for one, instead we're signing a K2 project for that area and last year signed a loan deal from Russia.

No idea why we refuse to look into it, and it's going to be a problem area for another 6 months at least.

neilly1987 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    A CDM and an 8 is needed but its unlikely we will get 1 never mind both this window.

It's why when we signed Kwon I was so massively underwhelmed.

19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    See at the same time, it's all well and good bringing in that physical player we need, but if the team as a whole are clueless what to do it won't solve our problems. We need more than new signings if we're to improve here.

Crilly likes this.
  20. Lewis Kerr

Signing Kwon to fill that quota was downright negligent and honestly a slap in the face to us fans.

Imagine watching us go out with a whimper for years in Europe while over relying on a guy who isn't even a defensive midfielder, on the wrong side of 30 and seemingly on the decline to be just that.

Only to then sign a kid with no experience from the second tier in Korea and think "aye, that'll do".

It's a criminal way to run a football club.

Twisty, oh bhoy and BhoyFitz like this.