1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

I had him away last season,then he stayed and Jota,Starfelt and Ange all left which I wasn't expecting. The end of last season totally blindsided me tbh.

Random Review likes this.
  2. Foley1888

Would love it but can’t see it, feels like the Tierney sale where he was going; he was going but then no bid high enough was forthcoming. I think it’s a matter of time before someone hits the number we are looking for. All be it they seem well off just now.

Wllm and neilly1987 like this.
  3. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Really dreading the notion of having an O’Riley shaped hole in this team . Would be a miracle to replace his quality and contribution , most our good stuff goes through him .

4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

This could end up being the case, much depends on the players thoughts as you say, as the board have previously shown that they will help/be accommodating with a player who has acted respectfully/been decent in their dealings with the club (Rogic etc) . The downside to this, should it happen and we sell below the estimated value, is there are some who will jump on that as being a failure/lack of management ambition etc by the board.. when that wouldn't be the case. If he is to go hopefully the buying club offer the value that is fair although fair is subjective i guess.

Pogues and HoopyT like this.
  5. Ted Bates

It is not what they do at all. Southampton are a long-term top-flight team. They have spent 46 of the last 57 years in the top league. The number of English clubs that beat that is not a long list.

- Wanyama
    - van Dijk
    - Armstrong
    - Forster
    - and now possibly O'Riley

You may not like it, but a move to St Mary's is a progression in a player's career from Celtic (the players I listed are evidence of that). Of course if they are successful they will also treat Southampton as a stepping stone to another club. But the reality is that Southampton have a bigger income than Celtic, a bigger wage budget and play in a higher-profile league. That attracts players to move in one direction.

Football food chain...

Wanyama (Celtic - Southampton - Spurs)
    van Dijk (Celtic - Southampton - Liverpool)
    Forster (Celtic - Southampton - Spurs)

If O'Riley joins, it'll be because he views Southampton as the next stepping stone on a journey to a higher level. An opportunity in a higher profile league on bigger wages (regardless of a lack of a few Champions League group games).

So if in the football transfer chain, you call Southampton 'diddy', what does that make the club that they keep raiding for their best players on 5 occasions?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
    Gurru 991 likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's happened before mate.

We move on sadly. Noone would have thought the £1.5m buy from MK Don's would be that player just over 2 years later but that's where we are.

We need to get better at improving the level of replacement though and not truing to get fortunate again with cheaper punts.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah I think that's what happens, if/when Atalanta sell Koopmeiners then I can see them coming in with a fairly decent sized bid.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Southampton are a nothing club, when they are in the premiership they just hang around like a * that won't flush.

A team that has only ever won 1 trophy is the epitome of a diddy club, now * off and have a * over a picture of Iain Dowie.

jpr21, HoopyT and murphy88 like this.
  9. murphy88

Since the turn of the millennium, Southampton have played 2 seasons in the 3rd tier of English football and 6 seasons in the 2nd tier. And have won 1 major cup in their history. They are a diddy club who happen to have access to huge sums of money. They are not alone in this. There are plenty other diddy clubs in the same boat. Put it this way, you ask any player who has played for both clubs which one is bigger, there will only be one answer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
  10. Gurru 991

It's all about perspective ... Southampton are a middle to lower team in one of the top leagues in the world. Players get world level exposure playing in the Premier & clubs like Southampton are a good stepping stone for up & coming players.
    Unfortunately the Scottish Premiership is a lower level league where a players stats are discounted due to the overall quality.

Ted Bates likes this.
  11. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Where to start with this * nonsense argument that Southampton aren’t an up and down club

ok a quick look at the table for most seasons spent in the top flight have Southampton 27th . So there are 26 (Yes 26) teams who have been in the top flight more , so you saying the list of clubs ahead of them on that front is very small turns out to be nonsense.And there are probably only a dozen or so clubs who are truly consistent non ping pong clubs . Southampton have been up and down numerous times in recent history and have spent time in League one ffs .

A diddy club with no history but have access to silly money off the back of that league they sometimes play in , so can offer more than big/proper clubs from other leagues . Simple as that .

HoopyT likes this.
  12. Ted Bates

They average circa 30k even in the 2nd tier. That isn't 'diddy'.

If they are 'diddy', what does that make a team they buy the best players from?

13. Ted Bates

Nonsense. How many teams in modern football history of the last 57 years have more than 46 years in the top flight? Very few!

They average circa 30k even when in the 2nd tier. That isn't 'diddy'.

If they are 'diddy', what does that make a team they buy the best players from?

14. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Why did you pick "the last 57 years" as the benchmark. Bit of a strange number..... A bit like "going for 56".....

15. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I think you know fine well that it's only because of hugely inflated wages due to TV money that any player would choose Southampton over Celtic.

More atmosphere at a Glasgow funeral than most Premiership games....

16. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    No different to Saudi clubs.

17. Ted Bates

Because I did it from the promotion in 1966. Since 1966 only a handful of English clubs have been in the top flight more than Southampton. So to call Southampton a yo-yo club is nonsense! They've spent 46 of those 57 years in the top league with 8 year, 27 year and 11 years spells. That is not yo-yo-ing!

18. Ted Bates

Saudi clubs do not average circa 30k in their 2nd tier or even their 1st tier!

Saints would comfortably be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland in fanbase size if you uprooted them from the South Coast. They are mid-sized within the Premier League in England for fanbase.

19. Ted Bates

Yes, of course. Put Celtic in the English Premier League and Southampton would not stand a chance of competing with them. I have never claimed otherwise. All I've done is take issue with the 'diddy' claim, the 'yo-yo club' claim which are both demonstrably nonsense.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That last line sums up everything about the English game..

All about getting to/staying in the EPL and money..

FranceCelt likes this.