1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, thats whats wrong for him for me. His lack of pace isn't too bad, it's not shocking and something you worry about, his passing ability also is decent like he's not awkward in control of a ball or bad at passing, not really good either but you can still be very good with just his level of passing.

The main thing is he just looks slow to think and see whats going on, then he passes or he passes to guys he shouldn't just to get himself out of danger as he's not thinking or noticed that they're in a bad position.

You probably never improve that either, it's just natural to you that you don't have good awareness and vision of whats going on around you. Like even McManus, O'Dea, Welsh aren't like that.

I've never seen anything like it actually in a Celtic defender or even close.

It's usually multiple times a game you see him passing it to someone he shouldn't have or not passing it quick enough to someone who 9/10 defenders would have.

You would hope it's only fear and panic of making a mistake and lack of confidence if he thinks he's out of his depth and shouldn't be playing. Then next season he might come back more confident and relaxed but seems unlikely as he's played a lot of games now and never really changed.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Your right. He's decent imo at defending. He's not a sloth. He can actually control the ball but it's the natural vision. If he was an old fashioned punt it away CB from the old days then great. Fact he's to dribble up and pass it to start attacks is why he won't ever be a no1 starter for us imo. Players all back off him now they know, and try cover the easy passing lanes, then he has a we panic, and * it :56:

However he did play nearly all the games and we won the league. So credit to him he deserves that medal.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Even that run he went on in the final where Dessers chased him all the way down the wing.

It wasn't planned out like if I get past him i'll pass it there, it was just panic and lack of knowing where guys were to pass it to or if he could stop or turn as there might be other guys behind him, he just kept running and running straight down the park concentrating on not getting the ball took off him.

honda likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

His inner effe Ambrose came out with that one :56:

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    McManus and O’Dea played in teams where the centre halves were instructed to boot the ball long under any sort of pressure, though. Football has changed a lot and the requirements for a centre half at Celtic have changed.

They would have stuck out like a sore thumb in this current team for the same reasons that Scales does, which is that they weren’t very good passers of the ball.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There will always be a place for a defender who knows there are times when just to clear the ball as far away as possible, giving the team/mates time and a chance to get back into formation/position and let's face it, it is a lot harder to score goals from 50-60 yards out compared to in and around the box. Trying to be too cute with the ball, or getting caught in possession etc... I mean, just look how few clean sheets we were able to have this past season.

I do have a theory about Scales though.

When he broke into the team, it was a revolving door of CB partners beside him. Welsh, Lagerbielke, Phillips, Nawrocki... and all that while he was good at doing th esimple things. Getting in tackles nd blocks - the unglamourous - but totally necessary - side of the game. It wasn't about spraying passes all around the pitch, it was putting in those last ditch clearances or blocks etc, that was what he was good at. It is also no co-incidence all through this period was when he accumulated nearly all of his bookings this season.

Scales picked up 4 yellow cards in his first 8 league games this season. So by the end of October he was starting to get close to risking a suspension. Scales next booking was on Boxing Day, nearly 2 full months later. One more and he would have a mandatory suspension. Guess what happened from that point on?

Not a single booking for the rest of the season. Which co-incided with the growing frustration regarding his sometimes more dusty displays, especially in more direct comparison to CCV, who just oozes class and is a much more well rounded defender in comparison.

I have a couple of thoughts about this.

First off, considering the merry-go-round there already was for the other CB, what price BR & the coaches had a word to Scales about needing to be careful, as they couldnt afford to lose him. So I do think it is no mere co-incidence that his form, so far as putting in those last ditch tackles and brave blocks etc and riding that line that all CB's sometimes have to ride started to fade from his game.

Secondly, after suddenly going from 5th choice with practically one foot out the door, to suddenly being the first choice with all the others scrambling meant that he was not being senior and was being asked to take on a bot more responsibility. This meant not just clearing lines or putting in a tackle, but having to start being responsible for distribution on the ball etc as well. I don't think this is a part of his game that is a particular strength, but circumstances being what they were it was necessary.

So then we roll around to January and CCV is back (on and off, but mostly on), but Scales now a) has gotten used to playing and doesnt want to be dropped or risk a suspension or b) has the fear that if he is rested or is missing for a game someone could unseat him in the starting XI and in the pecking order once again. Considering his prior status in August, it is not unreasonable to imagine the mindset there.

So perhaps there was a little 'easing off' and playing 'safe', so far as not risking a booking, which by extension meant perhaps not putting in as many challenges. It meant holding back that little bit because we were in a situation where we/he couldnt afford to take a risk in the chance it resulted in a booking and the auto suspension that would follow. He went from very much on the fringe and on the way out, to a time when we really couldn't afford for him to not be in the XI, to finding a comfort zone

I could be wrong, but as I said, it is just a theory.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. ardis1967

need players like Scales around. I've given him enough slaggings this season but at the end of the day without him we would of been in the mud. Stepped up massively. Agree with most that his passing is horrendous but I also agree that Hatate or MOR did not help him at all.

That push though on the back of Sterling was the most idiotic thing I have ever seen and could of easily cost us knowing how good Tav is on a dead ball. Also thought he was fortunate not to give a free kick away when he blocked off Sima.

More than happy for him to be 3rd/4th choice. He has earnt that for another year.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. murphy88

You mean Tavernier/shitebag?

88jimmij88 likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member