1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Left Wing And Right Wing Football Clubs

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mystic Penguin, Nov 30, 2011.

Discuss Left Wing And Right Wing Football Clubs in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Lawwell and Desmond aren't Celtic, never will be.

2. Greenandwhite17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    All of them!
    feyenoord are in no way 'left wing' have you seen the abuse they throw at ajax... they're right wing, along with PSV

3. hendycfc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    There is no proper right wing clubs in Scotland because generally Scotland is a left leaning country. The huns are maybe slightly but they are hardly fascist.

4. Hibby

Are Celtic really a left wing club? This isn't a dig, it's a genuine question. I find it confusing that a club with such a strong identification with Catholicism can also be identified as left wing. The Catholic Church is anything but a left wing organisation, so in my head there's a contradiction there which I'm happy to have explained to me.

Also, as others have said it's often not possible to just label clubs as left and right wing. There's obvious cases like Zenit, Wisla Krakow, Lazio etc, but usually it's not that simple. For example, how the * are Barca left wing? They're as corporate as a football club can be and pay the highest wages on earth. They're a corporate whorebag brand, hardly a club of the people. Next to them you have "right wing" Espanyol, who are painted as this nationalistic Spanish, anti separatist club. I've met two Espanyol fans in my time and they both said the same thing, most of their fans (like most Catalans) favour independence and their club has far more genuine links to the cause than "mes cue un club" Barcelona.

Not everything is black and white.

5. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    You can be catholic and left wing.

Royal Spanish Club of Barcelona aren't more Catalan than Barcelona. You're the first person I have ever heard say that.

6. Hibby

Fair play, I appreciate that. My own mum is from a Catholic background and she's very left wing.

What I meant was, if we're talking about the overall identity of a club it seems odd to have an identity which is so closely linked to Catholicism, whilst also wanting to be seen as a left wing club. Most left wing people would have a lot to say about the Catholic Church and it wouldn't be positive. That's not to say individuals can't be both.

Bare in mind I'm looking at this from an outsiders perspective. For all I know Catholicism isn't even something most Celtic fans associate with their club.

I'm only going by what I've been told personally, could be bullshit although I met both these people at different times in different places and they both said the same thing. Both were very pro-Catalan and they both told the same story about Espanyol fans doing something or other in Franco's time to try and help the Catalan cause. I wish I could remember it now, it would be remarkable if two different people had made up the same bullshit story.

I don't see what the name of a football club decided 113 years ago has to do with anything, are you saying people must think a certain way or pick their football team based on political beliefs? Remember that the want for independence there is extremely high (practically everyone favours it) so of course that's going to include Espanyol fans.

7. Celtic Serbia

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogić
    RCD Espanyol and Barca are both Catalan clubs right?

8. CurlyWurly1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    :50:

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Yes they both are or at least they both are based in Catalonia.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  10. Sween

No, not even close

11. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Well said :50:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Armagh-Bhoy

^^ Some on this forum would do well to read this before they start getting Zionism and Judism mixed up for the 10,000 time.

13. Nasser

I think they have a core element that is racist but the majority of their fans are not. I'm always shocked at how many Jewish and Muslim fans they have in Scotland near every Muslim I met in Scotland was a Rangers fan and now servco fans. Maybe it has something to do with your less likely to be attacked by a Celtic fan than a Rangers fan so being a rangers fan was more safe.

14. hendycfc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Haha it's different for me. Every muslim I've met is either a Barca fan or are only interested in Cricket and the vast majority of Jews I know support Celtic.

15. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

You know that these guys are the ultra-Orthodox Jews that say the Jew's are forbidding from having 'their state' until the Messiah comes. Once the Messiah arrives on Earth to give the Jews the Land of Israel anything goes really.

Those guys probable have something to do with Neturei Karta. Can't say I feel comfortable associating with them. There are far cooler guys from Israel like Anarchists Against the Wall who don't use religion as their bases for opposing Israeli policies.

16. CapArm

Mental thread.

Reading the majority of the posts in here will melt your brain.

17. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Yea.. As i said earlier. All clubs i know off have football fans. Not a political party or something ridiculous like that. Keep those stuff outside football. Sure some fans are into those stuff but to associate a club with it is madness to me.

AIK has/had lots of racists in their "ultra support". Does that make AIK a right wing club? No. They are a football club with a few dickheads like all other clubs in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  18. CapArm

There was a chap a few pages that had summed it up perfectly..

19. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

No, this is rubbish. "Anti-Semitism has always meant hatred of Jews. Yes, Arabic is a Semitic language but calling somebody a 'Semite' makes literally no sense.

The term "Anti-Semitism" is a stupid term created by German Wilhelm Marr that he coined to mean hatred towards Jews, in particular the very unique and specific hatred that came about in the late 19th century.

Marr was influenced by the Pseudo-Scientific discourse that surrounded race at that time and as a result gave his hatred a sloppy, stupid term like "Anti-Semitism" to try and sound scientific. That doesn't mean he coined the term to mean hatred of Arabs, Amharic speakers or the Maltese. Arabs can be Anti-Semitic according to how the term is popularly understood in both academia and everyday use. A better term is probably needed but I struggle to see the point now.

It's a stupid game of semantics.

Not all opposition to Zionism is Anti-Semitic, that is undeniable. However it does seem that that many 'Pro-Palestinians' downplay or ignore that a lot of "Anti-Zionism" is rooted in Anti-Semitism.

20. Dáibhí

I don't think you can actually have a right or left wing football club. To tar an entire fanbase with one brush is a bit like claiming all Arabs support terrorism, or that all Americans support the invasions in the middle east.