1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sean Daleer, Mar 17, 2015.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The positional sense of the 2 centre back's is a real worry for me, and not just at set pieces.

One in particular from last night was when Kamara ran on to a ball in the second half, and only for a poor header it would have been 4-1.

Boyata stood ball watching as Kamara simply ran from behind him and got in front to have a free header, and when he made contact with the ball, he was 4-5 yards off Boyata.

This is basic defending, and it is something that we are absolutely stinking at.

The defence coaching is up for question, and maybe needs an entire new set up.

2. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would be glad to see the back of Kennedy, even when things were going well I was wondering what he would bring to the table.

3. JasonMcG1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    kieran tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

Would be willing to try this , but would have untill the end of the season to see drastic changes in our play as i think we are poor at everything we do only possession is what we are good at chances created and scored are poor defending even worse

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The thing for me is that Ronny was a CB too and takes the ultimate blame..

So aye I agree an entire new Manager, assistant and coach are required.

5. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Kennedy played a few first team games for us. Unfortunately he got a serious injury that ended his playing career. He is not the first player to suffer such a sad and premature end to his career but he is surely the first to be handed the job of first team coach at the biggest team in the country on the back of it. Thought at the time of his appointment it seemed ridiculous and the results of his "coaching" are there to be seen on the pitch.

6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We look so dodgy at the back in Europe we need to change to 3 Cb's I think, it doesn't help that they get exposed so easily and are clearly not comfortable enough the ball to play from the back under pressure.

Either 3 Cb's or Bitton/Brown drops deep to split the 2 cb's and he can distribute from the back and move forward like Gerrard done last few seasons at Liverpool.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I would prefer 4-3-3 with someone like Allan (for talking sake) dropping off to pick up the ball from the defenders and just have your defenders defend.

No more than one full back up the pitch at any one time (in Europe anyway) and a proper DM, one that never goes beyond the ball and protects the back four.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Our defence definitely needs more protection in Europe, it was actually unreal how exposed we left them on Thursday.

I would have Brown sitting infront of them like he was away to Ajax, and then have Johansen drop deeper beside Bitton.

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

The problem we had on Thursday as well Brown and Bitton were covering left and right side as well as always chasing back, they had way too much to do and Johansen done his usual running about and selling himself most times by jumping in at full pelt.

Aye agreed Sean, I think Bitton is the man to just keep him back in Europe, has height, good tackling and of course great passing ability.

For all we know the players could get told this but end up being pulled out of position or not disciplined enough to hold their position and do the job being asked.

10. pLUSpISTOL

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Is John really experienced enough to be coaching our first team defenders? I believe that's his role...

11. Blantyre Bhoy

Liked the guy as a player, however I don't like his defensive tactics, especially Zonal marking.

12. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Considering he only played for a few years and has only been coaching for a few years... Definitely not.

Does he even have 10 years playing and coaching combined?

13. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We man marked last night.

14. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We marked man to man at corners last night.

But yes, previous to that, and in general, defending had been very poor to say the least. Doesn't help with the full backs so high up, at the same time, leaves us so open. I'm of the old school approach that if one full back goes, the other sits.

John Kennedy is a little out his depth I feel. Fine for a development team role or something. Like he big guy, loved him as a player, but he shouldn't be near the Celtic first team as a coach imo.

15. pLUSpISTOL

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We didn't lose goals direct from corners this time though which is +1 positive for man-to-man marking.

I think he was protected a little bit by the quality of VVD and Denayer previously. Now we have less quality and there is no consistency. This is where previous coaches and managers could shine by taking these players and somehow working performances out of them.

Kind of doesn't help when your prodigies are all over the place and you've parked your * on the seat. I wasn't at the game so can only go by camera shots but I don't think Mjallby would have settled down last night.

16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Move Kennedy and replace with Willie Miller it wont be any worse

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don't see what he brings, in any way.

At least with the much maligned Collins you know he wants us to win every match with every fibre of his being and he believes we can.

Kennedy is a damp squib with no CV and if he has even 50% responsibility for the defence he should be out the door.

18. Blantyre Bhoy

We really need two quick thinking robust centre backs, preferably ones without glass ankles.

19. shendr18

If he is in charge of the defence then he is not good enough and not learning from the obvious mistakes. Its as simple as that

20. sabzz1888

Fixed it for you.