1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    So many times

2. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Has he ever played well against decent opposition?

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  3. FrankMcCallum

I find it difficult to criticise the guy personally as he’s an honest player who has good attributes and definitely contributes domestically.

Is he the best left back that Celtic can possibly attain given the resources we have? Obviously not, but that’s not his fault.

Lacks basically everything you need at European level. Pace, strength, positional awareness, ability to beat a man. Terribly exposed again unfortunately.

4. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    This is a good example how group dynamics work in this forum. The last few weeks you'd thought he is world class :giggle1: Yesterday was a reality check for us and him.

He is brilliant for the league but people need to stop telling themselves he is European class when he has a good run domestically. I hope he stays but only if he can accept his role as a backup. Us neglecting the LB position issue for the last fee year made him a first team player and, judging from his contract expectations it got to his head and he now thinks he has first team class. Hope he takes yesterday as a warning and accepts his role as a backup. If we finally strenghten. Well, if, I know :celtman2:
    No ill fealing thought if he wants to go away to play first team football, he nearly always gave his best when playing!

5. henriks tongue

Time to give Valle a run.....we all know what Taylor can and more importantly, can't do.

6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Confidence was shot within minutes and totally crumbled.

7. ardis1967

Would happily have him signing a new contract domestically as you can tell he's a leader in that group and he's very good for how we play in the league.
    However not once have I ever said he's good enough for the champions league. Horribly exposed last night like he has been on numerous occasions.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's been excellent domestically..

But, I'm actually in two minds on whether we should give him a new contract.

I would have been happy to have his as backup but the trouble lies, when you need to play the backup in games like last night..

The inability to recruit quality at LB since KT left has been a disgrace..

Again, we look to January for a LB, of quality.

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. Big C

I think we should renew his contract. It would cost millions to just get a like for like to cover domestic games, we’d then need even more to improve the standard at left back. Keeping him makes good economic sense.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We need better though and it should be treated like any other position when it comes to strengthening there..

I'm honestly in two minds about him..

One things for sure we need a better starting LB than Taylor.

neilly1987 likes this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Taylor is a good player, but he’s not a top class player capable of regularly competing against Europe’s best. That can be said for almost all of our squad unless further results prove otherwise.

Still want him to extend his stay with us and still want to find a better left back going forward.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. murphy88

I think it was telling that he got hooked at half time. I expect Valle to start at the weekend with the view to making the spot his own this season. Taylor has made himself undroppable recently, but last night once again showed us that he just isn’t the answer against that level.