1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    :56:
    Then why aren’t we shouting after Alexandro Bernabei or all the other foreign named players that have failed to make their mark at LB?

He’s a decent squad player and clearly well liked behind the scenes but he’s nowhere near the level we need for Europe.

Slater67 likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, you're right about that. I guess @King of Kings had more of a point than I wanted to admit.

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He was excellent again, especially considering both Maeda and Palma had a poor game.

@JC Anton called it spot on previously, biggest moment of his career is coming up, I don't think he'll go down south to the PL but he'll have plenty of teams abroad offering him a deal, I think he'd thrive in Spain and Italy tbh, but we should be doing all we can to keep him, even if he isn't guaranteed to be first choice going forward.

JC Anton likes this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Him in Italy he would love btw, right up his street and would improve him immensely as a player as well I think, the level of tactical defending they go into over there.

I can’t see him wanting to leave, but we have a history of leaving the deals for guys who don’t want to go until it’s too late

HTG likes this.
  5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    To be fair, I don't think this has been the case in recent history.

O'Riley, Hatate, Maeda, McGregor, Kyogo, CCV, Scales and now there's talk of Johnston getting a long term deal, I think a bit of this delay is Taylor weighing up his options, which is 100% justified.

He's won it all here, experienced Europe over multiple seasons and is still young, I could see why he might want a new challenge.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Hatate and O’Riley were openly close to going or needing persuaded to stay. Kyogo and CCV we needed to secure, we have been more pro-active but.

Calmac could easily go if we don’t treat him properly, and is worth a lot of money to us. But he’s the closest I can think of that we’d usually sleep on out of those you’ve said. We have been much better, but Taylor we know and he knows this is the biggest club he’ll have in his career. The most importance he’ll have and the most success. Probably similar sort of money on the table. It’s one we historically leave too late.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It was partly tongue in cheek.

I don’t believe he’s nowhere near what we need in Europe though, at least not any moreso than most of our squad.

Truthfully, I’m not sure there’s a single member of our squad who can really say they’ve done the business consistently in Europe in recent years, which is backed up by how poor our results as a team have been. While he could be improved upon, so could everyone else.

AdamRS likes this.
  8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't think Ange's style of football really worked in Europe, we talk about that 30 minutes against Real Madrid but seemingly forget about the rest of the games, it was his biggest crux whilst he was here.

For me, the only players who I'd say are easily CL quality currently are Schemichel, CCV, McGregor and Kyogo. Hatate at his best is good enough but he's far too inconsistent.

With the way we're progressing, I do think we could see a few more players make that list. The likes of Johnston, Kuhn, Bernardo and even Maeda are all looking excellent, and it's too early to comment on Engels but I think he could make the cut too.

I don't think Taylor will ever fall under that category, but that's okay! He's still a very dependable player who is more than good enough domestically.

AdamRS likes this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t disagree as such, but playing Devil’s Advocate - I think McGregor has been poor in Europe overall (albeit asked to play in a Laotian he isn’t suited to), and even Kyogo probably needs to step up. CCV is the one I have most confidence in.

Mamore Gap likes this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We should get Spanish loans in more often if it's causing this form from him.

neilly1987 and TheHappyLoss like this.
  11. Lewis Kerr

He's had an excellent start to the season, but the real litmus test for him (and most of them) is Europe, particularly against the better sides.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Because they didn’t perform to the levels Taylor has.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think we all give him too hard a time. He slogs his guts out for us. Yes, some of his stray passes are infuriating, similar to Scales.

His height affects him too and folks talk about Europe being a test for him. Let’s just see.

The only challenge for him in his next contract is does he want to be part of a squad that wins trophies or will another team come in with eye watering wages on offer.

14. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Yeah, that’s my point - they have been judged on their performances and not their ‘fancy’ sounding name.

Bernabei by all accounts is performing well at a higher level than the SPL so maybe we were too quick to right him off. I’d imagine if Taylor featured as little as he did then he wouldn’t of had the opportunity to impress us.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bernabei made approximately 30 appearances for us, close to a season's worth of opportunities. If Bernabei was good enough he would have shown it for us, but he didn't.

Taylor has performed well for us for a few seasons now.

seamus1967 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think he's a good player who's improved but there's no denying he has a lack of pace and dynamism that could hurt us in Europe against better players. It has in the past.

As I said I'd definitely give him a new deal. But I want to see what Valle has to offer.

neilly1987, Crilly and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  17. Maestro 08

Think he's on about 15k p/w. We'll prob offer him 20k & a 4 year deal. That'll take him to 30 y/o and he ain't getting a big contract at that age so this is his moment to look at his options. He won't get a bigger club but if someone throws 30k + a week at him he might decide to take it.

I wouldn't grudge him that & let's be honest if we were doing our job correctly as a club he'd already be a squad player by now.

Sean Treacy likes this.
  18. Sean Treacy

Dont think so, I have seen enough of Benny to know that he cant cut it in SPL

19. Sean Treacy

Agree, 20K max.

20. henriks tongue

Credit to Taylor, he's lifted his game - that's what competition for places does.
    Scales likewise. Rest of midfield too.

UCL is the test though, recently we've failed badly but now the best opportunity in years is here - can we take it?