1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaddyJamieson

Very good description. It's a real shame for him that his build and physicality holds him back so much. He's such an intelligent player, amazing mentality, good technique. If he had a few extra inches and a turn of pace he'd be something else.

I'd still be very happy to have him here as a back-up.

2. mayo

Really don’t get the contract situation. Surely a no brainier?

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We should be tying him down for another 4 year, would cost a lot to replace him and we'd be extemely unlikely I think to get someone more consistent and a good team player and character.

Main danger will be if Italian/Spanish/MLS teams come in for him as I don't see him as fitting into the EPL so would probably be abroad he'll go if he was to move.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Was superb at the weekend. Has his well documented limitations but for sure easily deserves a new contract which hopefully he gets soon.

5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's a leader in that dressing room. Need to tie him down

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He also wouldn't still be here if he had those attributes!

The_Bhoy, AdamRS and PaddyJamieson like this.
  7. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    He's said himself he wants guarantees of 1st team football and most people have been in agreement that he's needed upgraded for the past 4 years.

martin_d likes this.
  8. mayo

Jesus I thought he’d be happy either way. He won’t get better than Celtic. Best he could hope for, for guaranteed first team football is a mid table championship team down in England

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's best pals with our captain McGregor and I'm sure someone said to me on Sunday that he was close with McCowan?

Taking all that aside, he's at the best and biggest club he'll ever be at..

No one should be guaranteed starters..

Sean Treacy likes this.
  10. constant

He's spoken about in the club as a future captain, so realistically I can't see him going anywhere.
    The whole current Celtic backline always play their socks off against the Huns.
    Rotate Taylor with Valle in the Champions League games, and then we will have the best of both worlds.

Sean Treacy likes this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    From his point of view, he's been guaranteed first choice for the last 2 and a half years and he's pretty much won everything there is here, I've no doubt Brendan has told him earlier in the season he won't be guaranteed first choice going forward.

I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to try something new, but I'd be doing everything we can to keep him at the club, very, very reliable player who is more than good enough for domestic football.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Meanwhile, the Celts boss was quizzed on the situation with Greg Taylor's contract. The first-pick left-back's current deal is up next summer and despite reports of talks being held, supporters are still awaiting news.

Rodgers is hopeful an agreement can be reached and waxed lyrical about the Scotland international's attributes, both technically and physically.

"No update," he admitted. "I really hope that we can get something organised on that. He's a fantastic player for us, how he makes that position work, how we want it to look, he's first class.

"He knows we really want him to stay and hopefully between his representatives and the club, we can organise that because he is a player that I really rate. I've seen him grow here from the outside looking in and obviously having the chance to work with him now for over a season.

"I really like everything about Greg. I love his personality, I love his spirit, I love how he plays the game of course. He plays the game like a midfield player coming from that outside position in, so he really makes it difficult for the opposition.

"He's technically strong for what we could say smaller in stature, he competes in his duels, he wins headers, so he does a lot of really good things in games which I really like and really appreciate. I really hope that we can tie him down in this period now. That would be a real priority for us to try and get something sorted for him."

13. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Think he is a great wee player to be honest. When someone asks who’s the most underrated player in the team, he is the guy that springs to mind.

Apparently touted as a future captain from within the club as well which I can understand

Bangarangura likes this.
  15. Bangarangura

hes a perfect proffesional, always bursts himself and isnt scared to show for the ball. Would really be gutted if he left

NomDePlum likes this.
  16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I completely agree with most of what’s being said in praise of Taylor as a player and character. However, to me, it’s a total surprise to hear Rodgers talk about how he fits the position, when it’s looked quite clear to me that BR wants his full-backs to overlap more than to invert.

Imo, as good as he’s been, Taylor’s best spell for us still came under Ange, when he was asked to invert to such an extent that he was basically playing CM.
    Since then, I’ve always believed we should convert him to that position permanently. It’s such an involved, high-intensity part of the team that - especially with the injury history of one or two of our CMs - Taylor could still get a healthy amount of games, and fill in at LB if needed. If we’re giving him a new contract, I’d love to see us take this route with him, and get a couple of permanent, overlapping LBs in.

So yeah, really good player, but never a natural full-back for me, let alone an overlapping, wing-back type. He has it about him to be Diet McGregor for us at LCM or even DM. Has a bit of that similar passing and vision to dictate the tempo.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would definitely give him a new deal.

18. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    A new contract for Greg Taylor is "a real priority" for Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers.

The 26-year-old left-back is in the final year of his current deal, having joined the Scottish champions from Kilmarnock in 2019.

"He’s a fantastic player for us," said Rodgers. "How he makes that position work, how we want it to look, he's first class.

"He knows we really want him to stay and hopefully between his representatives and the club we can organise that because he is a player that I really rate.

"I really hope that we can tie him down. In this period now he would be a real priority for us to try and get something sorted."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cp8n887g8rlo

19. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    His forward play at times is underrated. Definitely stepped up since he has competition.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Didn’t actually realise he was 26. Maybe he’d be looking at options elsewhere? can’t imagine he’d be sold after a new contracts signed and English prem/other top 5 league clubs would sign someone over 28 from our league in that position