1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Discuss Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

DonnyCelt likes this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A barometer of what though? Apart from 3 peaks in 2013, 2016 and 2019, the "winnable" ties are the kinds of ties we've really struggled in ever since Strachan left. If we can win those ties, that will be a barometer of real progress. It will show a genuine step forward.

The problem with using the likes of Dortmund and Atalanta as a barometer is that it only allows a 1-way inference. If we do manage to be competitive, then that absolutely will show a quite bonkers level of progress in an insanely short time; but a failure to be competitive will not show the opposite. It is entirely plausible that Dortmund will give us the same sort of doing they would have given last year's side; but that won't change the fact that this year's side is clearly much better than last year's.

One way to see this is to think about our home games against Real Madrid and Shakhtar Donestk. The draw in the latter game showed far more clearly the real limitations of Ange's team than the predictable and expected defeat in the former.

An analogy:

You might be stronger than me, but you're going to lose a tug of war with a power lifter just as quickly as I am. The way to see you are stronger is to watch how different our results are when we both try to compete against ordinary gym bros: you will be competitive and I won't.

JamesM09 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ali Johnston can be a bit over talkative at times.

Random Review likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

stuck a fiver on a player to be sent off after reading that

7. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    If we were to be defeated then losing say 2-1 would be considered a decent sign of progress at this level and confidence would remain. Again, a draw against last years beaten finalists in their formidable ground is an incredible achievement.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Seems a bit of a home team referee, his last 17 games he's gave the home team 5 penalties and 2 reds and the away team 1 penalty and 5 reds although overall he has gave more bookings to the home team.

Maybe one of them who gives less wee decisions to the home team, like i'll not be swayed by the atmosphere and fans but then caves in to the big decisions.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

One surefire way to ruin a good game of football is a whistle/card happy ref who tries to steal the limelight. We've had a few in Europe over the years and this actual ref red carded Bayo against Rennes back in 2019.

Hope to * he doesn't become the talking point of the game.

10. PaddyJamieson

Cannot * wait.

JML67 likes this.
  11. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think there will be goals in this one and could see a 2-2 or maybe 3-2 to us.

12. Hydrobhoy

16 goals in 3 games and dortmund leaking 7 goals in 2 games.. tiocfaidh ar la.. and also happy birthday to wee jinky who's 80 today

13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

As good as we've been, I think we'll lose tonight. It's a whole different level of opposition

15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It read to me like it was the home teams he awarded more pens against recently.

16. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    That ref's stats give me the fear. But must say i am quite confident that we can get something here. Lets just play the way we play. dont change things up.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A barometer of where we are in relation to an elite European team. Which is what every Celtic fan should want to see from this current squad.

Are we strong enough, are we quick enough, are we still tactically naive or not, can our forwards damage top level European opposition, does our style translate well to competing with the highest level of team in the world, can we hold our nerve mentally after losing a goal and don’t go on to concede another within minutes as we have done for a decade in Europe.

Over and above all of that, as I said previously, all I’m doing is repeating what our manager is (rightly) saying. Tonight is the acid test of this group of players. Let’s see if we’re simply a huge fish in a small pond or if we are making genuine progress to being compared with top European opposition and not just capable of trouncing scottish teams on a weekly basis for the foreseeable. I think we’re on the latter path but let’s see the fruits of our labour thus far and what’s still to be done…

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    All of that is fine, as long as people don't go all negative and critical if it all ends in tears tonight. You must admit that that's a thing we are prone to doing.

I'm loving this style of football and I think we're heading in absolutely the right direction. Nothing that happens tonight will change my mind on that.

19. JamesM09

You win this round, Dutch.

Random Review likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Real Madrid took 3 off us at home under Ange and folk still to this day go on about how we competed for the most part of the match.

If we compete properly within the game the support, in general, will be satisfied knowing we are making strides to bridge the gap. That’s all we ask, we can’t expect to beat teams earning 100 million on the sale of a single player but we can show that the trajectory is heading in the right way. Which, undoubtedly for me, it is. But let’s see that manifest itself properly tonight.