1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Discuss Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

:56::56::56:

Wish our defence was as tight to Kasper...

JC Anton likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not disagreeing at all mate. Just wasn’t a slow backline, and DM is a position we play that is more focused on attack than anything. It’s the approach we took, and that’s down to Rodgers. Calmac said we didn’t play the game that Rodgers was wanting, the openness etc wasn’t the plan. But from the touchline when it was obviously not working, nothing happened to change it.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I thought what killed us was we played like this WHILE DEFENDING

Kyogo

Bernardo ------- Engels
    Maeda---------------------------------- Kuhn

McGregor

Taylor --------Scales --------Trusty -------Johnston

Schmeichel
    Our two centre mids were like higher than our wide players I felt until the 2nd half when Hatate came on and played closer to McGregor but then Engels played like even further forward.

While attacking it looked like we played like this

Kyogo

Maeda ------- Kuhn
    Bernardo---------------------------------- Engels

McGregor

Schmeichel
    And we'd move the ball to our full-backs and down the line to Bernardo or Engels and then from there through like McGregor or Kuhn/Maeda on the inside and we'd push forward as a team but Bernardo and Engels were too far ahead of McGregor or too wide that whenever we tried to play our way out we only had 1 or 2 guys as options to pass to as they were pressing us quite high that when Johnston passed to Engels say nobody was really near Engels and Johnston was too far away to get next to him so Engels had to always keep trying to slide balls into Kuhn and a lot of the time we were just giving the ball away then left like this....

Kyogo

Maeda ------- Kuhn
    Bernardo---------------------------------- Engels
    -------------------------------RYERSON

GROSS=============
    ------------
    BRANDT
    ADEYEMI
    ----------------------------GITTENS
    McGregor
    GUIRASSY

Schmeichel
    Like almost every time they intercepted the balls meant for Kuhn or Maeda, they instantly had like 5/6 on 5 attacks with space everywhere and it happened about 15 times in the game and we never brought our two midfielders deeper to stop it even when it got to 3-1 and 4-1 we kept going like that basically almost gifting them chances everytime we lost the ball.

We kept playing the same way like Rodgers must have thought, we will play Bernardo and Engels high and when we get the ball we'll move it to them and get attacking for fun but it never worked and we didn't stop trying it and just constantly let them rush forward on our wide open team.

Plus our defence was still really high, so everycunt seemed in constant panic that every time we lose the ball we're wide open and theres 30 yards behind our defence for them to run into and this is probably the quickest attack thats played against us in years.

Was only in the 2nd half we changed to more like this

Kyogo

---------------Engels

Bernardo---------------------------------- Kuhn

Hatate ---------------
    -----------
    McGregor

Valle--------Scales --------Trusty -------Johnston

Schmeichel
    Hatate came on played a bit deeper nearer McGregor and him and Valle played a bit better on the ball probably cause there was a wee bit more options so they could hold the ball more and were nearer each other. But Engels disappeared more out the game as he seemed to get left to go more attacking and we barely got forward so he was out the picture completely.

I thought we'd have sat Bernardo, McGregor and Engels in the middle deeper as a 3 and tried to be more solid but they were miles apart, essentially set up like a wide inverted triangle and nowhere near each other so we could attack through them but we never got a sniff of the ball in their half to make use of it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 8:00 PM
  4. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, what I'm meaning is the height of our backline whilst trying to defend against the paciest players we could have come up against last night made us look so slow.

The bit in black says it all. Even at...say...3-1 down in the first what 20mins-ish, he did nothing to change it. Complete madness!

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That’s spot on. Was more pointing out that we don’t have a slow backline last night, it doesn’t matter a * though, they were open and exposed. Pace doesn’t matter a * in the situations we put ourselves in last night.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Unpin this thread. Let it die a death.

Get the County game pinned.

Mon admin.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. Mr. Slippyfist

The players should be made to come in and reply to every single comment in this thread until it's * engraved on their retinas.

Hammy89 likes this.
  8. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Worst goal for me was their 6th. I know we're already 5-1 down, but when we lost the ball we just watched them run through us at pace. No real attempt from our midfield to track back.

Nowhere near good enough.

9. celtic warrior

That is all well and good, but in today's game, how many players as an 11 visibly go against a managers instructions mid game?

Hardly any at all, any time we arguably see players playing against managers instructions at any club are usually when all is lost and manager is literally ready for the boot.

The players play to how they have trained in the run up to any given match and how the manager demands they play.

For players to take it upon themselves to go against that in today's game is, I think, largely unheard of.

Granted last night I think the single worst game I think I've seen any Celtic midfield perform in living memory, they were literally ghosts.

I still believe Rodgers needs to wise up but as history has shown, he won't and whilst the scoreline might be more respectable than a 7-1 we will likely go and have 4 goals taken off by Atalanta in the next game

10. Mr. Slippyfist

All the players that stepped foot on that pitch last night should be putting their hands in their pockets and offering a refund to all the travelling supporters.

11. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Take it we aren't getting a unique angle video this week then...

12. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Shoulda played 5 at the back 4 physical midfielders and Idah and punted it up the park and dived about a bit to slow the game down.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

We signed Engles from FC augsburg, That team man for man how are we compared to them ? I think we'd struggle to get a result playing them never mind dortmund
    Then add in the German team are playing week in and week out against top calibre players with no let up week after week.

I bet they are physically and mentally stronger than us and have more skill about them than any other team in scotland

For us we get tested maybe a few games a season a wee bit domestically and most if not all the teams park the bus.
    We don't have very much intense defending to do our players don't have to work in all parts of their game because they don't get punished like they would in England Germany Spain or italy

We could sign the whole Dortmund team play a whole Season in the spl and when we come up against a top team in Europe we'll struggle. Cause the players need to be aclimatised to the elite footballing competition

Its a tough nut to crack for us to be consistently half decent in Europe and I think it always will be whilst we play in Scottish football.

You can however set up a team and play better than we did or do regularly in europe

14. Big C

We were terrible of that there is no doubt. On reflection my biggest concern is the number of players that went into hiding. Of the back 4 only Scales stood up. The midfield, Bernardo and Engles, posted missing. Khun posted missing, might not have the bottle for a game like this. Time will tell. Kyogo never got any service, Maeda’s pressing was ineffective because Bernardo and Engles were neither here nor there. Poor show. We move on.

15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Think positive.
    Only 1 place and 1 goal in GD behind PSG

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Calmac in his interview said it very well, the press went individually and players trying to play individually, trying to protect themselves by doing that, it had the worst possible effect. And you could see on the pitch the effect the lack of coherent teamwork had.

See the biggest example of that for me? And it’s always a small thing that goes ignored or laughed at, but see a throw in? Can tell a lot from them, we had nobody showing for the ball at them. We gave the ball directly to them 3 times at one point 2nd half every shy we had, players standing on the touchline looking for a man.

That’s very telling for me that. There was one Engels gave the shy to Johnstone and turned his back walked away, absolutely not wanting anything to do with the ball.

17. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Throw ins have been a problem for a long time.

Nobody wants the ball. It's usually Taylor standing with it in his hands for about 30 seconds looking confused while our players make no effort to move. It's really weird and has occurred across multiple managers now.