1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Discuss Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s a * commentator who bores me to death with his “I know better” attitude on our games.

There’s a reason he’s commentating.

neilly1987 and Hammy89 like this.
  2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He just doesn't have it at this level. It's as simple as that.

To good for Scottish football, nowhere near CL level unfortunately as shown at Liverpool, Leicester and certainly with us whenever he plays a team with better players he can't counter it. Even Liverpool where he had as good as the opposition his record was atrocious.

He's had plenty of opportunities to learn and still makes the same naive mistakes over and over.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    You do always think though if we park the bus do we lose the confidence and spark we have that lets us play well domestically.

Think thats always the problem and Deila, Postecolgou and Rodgers have never done it. Probably as you can't hype players up, teach them how to pass and move and get forward and build them up into telling them they are quality players and playing great.

Then go into Europe even against Real Madrid and whoever and then change tactics, tell them to sit in, keep 4 midfielders deep and counter with a couple of guys.

Then you are putting seeds of doubt into guys and might suffer for it in the League.

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Everything tonight was spot on from him though

BhoyFitz and NakamuraTastic like this.
  5. Big C

We will still qualify. Beaten by europes top teams yes, but we can and will take care of the others to get the points needed. Keep the faith.

neilly1987 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Look I don't mind him as a pundit but the irony was off the scale, plus he was very much captain obvious saying "this game is over" when it was 6-1. It was * over after 40 mins.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. murphy88

Poor from Rodgers and the players tonight. Individual errors killed us, which Rodgers can’t do much about. What he can do however, is change the setup when it’s evident early on it’s not working. I kind of understand why he went toe to toe. I felt we could hurt them as well. He simply had to change something in that first half though. One pass was taking our whole midfield out the game.

Broken record here as well, but not having a natural defensive midfielder is killing us at this level against the top sides. Someone who will just sit in front of the back 4 and offer some form of protection. McGregor, Engels and Bernardo were caught wrong side all first half. It was embarrassing. Lessons need to be learned from tonight, and when we go to Atalanta, we simply need to be harder to beat.

Rodgers and the players have to take responsibility for tonight in my opinion.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough

But as I said he was bang on with his post match view

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What point tha you're a sad * and went into the Hun thread and counted my posts..

:56::56::56::56:

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Disagree..I like his commentary...and him! Oof!

11. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kind of agree with this

12. Foley1888

Where it would be good to qualify at the end of the day what does that mean? We get paired with a vastly superior team and get spanked over two legs? We will make some more money but it would take silly investment that we won’t and can’t afford to properly compete in this competition.

Like I agree with you that I don’t think coming in the top 24 is beyond us given our fixtures but having watched the highlights of Brugge vs this Dortmund side they should have been infront in that game.

That tonight for me wasn’t as much about superior class of opposition as a team totally fluffing their lines. They scored 5 goals in the first half with arguably the only bit of quality shown was the shot for the third goal.

They got two penalties without doing anything other than running or getting to a ball first, the second and third goal was about wanting it more to set up the chances and the second had a huge slice of luck as I don’t think it was on target to it hit Trusty. The 5th the boy got played in by Maeda.

Now I have no doubt they would have carved us open and won the game and Brandt, Can and Gross totally ran the midfield and looked classy but they probably couldn’t believe their luck at what they came up against. A totally passive, positionally appalling team, who were physically second best by miles.

That was more akin to Rodgers first time around in CL than last season tonight.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Sorry but that is literally how every cup competition works. Majority of the time the better sides quality gets them through but taking a 7 goal scudding doesn't even happen at FA Cup level when teams like Man City and Liverpool play non-league opposition. Even Falkirk gave us more a game than we have Dortmund.

You can still play to your strengths without playing into the oppostions strengths at the same time. We doubled up on that and exposed our weakest area (defense) by sending the front men pressing and leaving humongous gaps behind.

If the players can't adapt to what their coach is instructing them to do to WIN (or at the very least not get beat) then they aren't going to succeed at the top level anyway.

I'm sure getting pumped rotten is worse for their confidence than being told they're better off defending for their lives and playing on the counter.

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Obsessed with the huns

15. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
  16. Lennon1888

Lennon was last here 3 years ago pal... Time to move on.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. Big C

I think Engles and Bernardo will learn from this. McGregor getting a lot of stick but the 2 young boys beside him both had nightmares. Coupled with Khun hiding, a CB playing out of position on the RH side and you’re really up against it. Personally I also thought Johnson shat the bed tonight.

Slaw likes this.
  18. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

Great post mate.

NakamuraTastic and murphy88 like this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    No way did he only post 4 times either. Always on there.

20. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

Harsh on AJ, the rest is spot-on. Agreed that McGregor was let down by those around him.