1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dara O'Shea

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Ziggy, Jul 1, 2024.

Discuss Dara O'Shea in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    His lack of height would be a concern, imo. I think we need to be looking absolute minimum 6ft 2 for whoever we bring in, as Scales is the only one with a chance of starting who is over 6ft 1.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Better get rid of the guy in your avatar then ffs...

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Away, ya facetious *. :56:

Because CCV’s a new signing coming in, isn’t he? - which is what I was talking about, as you know fine. One or two at 6ft or even 5ft 11 is ok. Everyone knows we need more height though.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

Vickers is 6ft and is as dominant as a * at 7ft, and far more dominant as any other 6ft+ defender at the club currently.

As you fine know.

5. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Is he not suppose to be rapid as well

6. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I’d like him in but it is a fair point about his height I know Carter vickers is short for a cb aswell and he’s class but feel we’d struggle with corners etc with the lack of height. Especially in europe

martin_d likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Fastest defender other than Van De Ven last season in the Prem

martin_d likes this.
  8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Again, it’s obvious that I was saying nothing about any of the current players at the club. Loads of us on here shout for more height. Idgaf if you disagree, frankly, but making out I’m saying something I’m not so that you can ridicule it is weak as.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Our best defender is 6ft.

If your "limit" of 6ft 2 mimimum was in place prior to Vickers being here, he would be automatically excluded from signing.

Think about what you're saying before you give folk a reason to ridicule it...

10. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    There’s only one of us being ridiculous here, and if you want to peddle a senseless minority view that we couldn’t use a bit more height at CB, crack on.

Re your blatant and childish mischaracterisation of my point, I’m not going to repeat myself.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

You can try and conflab your sentences with as many puffed up words as you want, but the point still stands that your idiotic anti-size signing policy is just totally dumb.

12. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    In fairness, I think the point @martin_d is making is that ideally a centre back partner for CCV would be taller. I don’t think that’s unfair.

You look at some of the best centre backs in recent history who were smaller - Puyol, Cannavaro, etc - and they tend to have had their success alongside a taller centre back partner.

That said, there’s always exceptions and many of the best ever centre backs were less than 6ft2 (Baresi, Maldini, Beckenbaur, Koeman, to name but a few).

So I can see the point you’re both trying to make and really you’re arguing different points.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  13. garybhoy87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I want to see blood here so let them fight it out.

Belgian_lad likes this.
  14. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I’ve stuck the * on ignore, so you’ll be waiting a while…

garybhoy87 likes this.
  15. thomohoq

Worth noting also that Scales is 5ft 8 when jumping at the far post

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Listen, I agree with the guy cause I would like a more aerially-dominant CB in besides Vickers, but we can't just say "naw mate yer too wee" if the * is less than 6ft 2....

saltire78 likes this.
  17. saltire78

Only catching the end of this "debate" but surely we all see that a defender that's 4" smaller but able to jump 6" higher isn't too small. Also, just like if a player is good enough they're old enough, if a defender is strong/capable/skillful enough then they're big enough...

Like everyone else I'd love some Sammy-sized players more often, but if CCV was about 6'4" he'd probably be nowhere near us, and that's true of loads more... I'll take skills/composure over height/muscles every time!

18. Mr. Slippyfist

My point exactly.

19. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It’s not an ‘either/or’ though. Most decent CBs are a blend of physical and skilful.
    Also, as someone pointed out earlier, most successful CB pairings that feature a shorter defender partner him with a taller guy.

The point isn’t that we can’t or shouldn’t ever sign a 6ft CB; it’s about having a diverse and versatile set of options, and when our best CB is average height, it’s a good idea to go for someone a bit taller alongside.

20. saltire78

Yeah mate, ideally that'd be the case, like I said, but the best defenders who're also 6'5" are going for stupid money.

Given that, I'd happily take a 6', quality player over a 6'5", decent player... I'd be DELIGHTED to have 2 players like CCV in our CB roles, and * the fact they're a few inches less tall than others - they make up for it with their ability to be in the right place, or tackle in the right way, at the right time. I think that the fuss of being huge is overblown in the modern game, when fouls are given for almost any serious contact these days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.