1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would love for him to stick around, he showed real potential. I think that's the problem with playing youth players these day's one good outing and everyone is sniffing around for the next McGinn, L. Ferguson, Ben Doak

2. Crilly Hakuhna matata

It’s not like we could t match the wages of 9k a week. Depends how much we value him, sure Lagerbielke is on like £13,500 a week and probably played lees than Kelly this season. Offering him £2,000 isn’t great tbf especially since he’s played first team games and scored in one.
    What if we were to offer him say £7,000 surely he’d stay then. I know lads that have gone to clubs u21s in league 1 and been on around 2k a week

3. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Be gutted if he left, looked the real deal in the limited time we seen him. The league being close played must have played a massive part in his lack of minutes, which was unfortunate.

The long term replacement for McGregor if we can keep him.

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Where did you hear we offered him £2,000 per week?

Probably been on next to nothing up until now.

5. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I’m the article on previous page it said at the other clubs interested he could be getting £9,000 a week 3 or 4 times more than what Celtic are offering so between £2,200-£3,000. Maybe the figures are slightly off but I think if that’s so he’s well within his right to choose a better offer where he’s valued more. Think he was on £540 ish previously as it would’ve been one of his first pro contracts

NomDePlum likes this.
  6. Crilly Hakuhna matata

@NomDePlum

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It will be a real sickener if we continue to lose our top talents. Doak looks nailed on to have a very good career. We need to seriously think about how to keep these guys for at least the first few years of their first team career. Teirney is the prime example, we were very well compensated for losing him after we got a few years out of him.

Crilly likes this.
  8. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Our track record of encouraging youth players over Tha last few years is not the best, we have to give them a decent wage and have a career path for them including loans etc as the only wage for these guys is to get game time and believe the club will encourage youth players.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Cheers @Crilly

Can see why you'd be looking to have the offer improved if there's even a sniff of getting x3.

I'd not be against improving the deal and keeping him in the squad/bench as an option next year and actually trying to bring youth through.

That could be the difference.

Crilly and JC Anton like this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Should've been tied down ages ago.

Same with Vata.

I know clubs are interested with them and I can't really blame them for leaving tbh. I know Kelly has been given more of a chance but they should've made over 20 appearances each this season easily.

greengrocer likes this.
  11. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    It's been atrocious. Especially considering the amount of youth projects we've signed that haven't been any better than what we have

12. DonnyCelt

Should've had him tied down long ago. Only ourselves to blame here yet again should he leave.

Hammy89 likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We were just debating our youth development, in 'bring back the reserve league' thread.. playing * teams on * surfaces in the Lowland League must be a factor too..

Hammy89 likes this.
  14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We really need to give them more money earlier to the very best players, if we offered Kelly £5k when he was 16 on a 5 year contract he'd probably have taken it but it would be quite a gamble, may have done similar with that defender Murray who has been injured for nearly 3 year and be lucky to have a career now.

Every player we did that for who never really came to anything and left for free at the end would be a waste of £1.3million. Over the course of 10 years it might happen 10-15 times. So would it be worth it to make sure the best 3 guys over 10 years stayed a bit longer.

As say out of the 3 who were good, after earning 5k a week from 16-19 they might then think i'll just see out these last 2 years and leave for free, so even that might not work.

Might also cause problems in the under 18s and 19s when 2/3 players are now rich as * and some other people maybe only on 500/600 a week.

Be tough to keep anyone beyond the age of 21 nowadays just cause the money in England is too good. You need to be Celtic's best player really just to earn bench money in the EPL. So if you think you can have a career even like Forster, Armstrong or Christie in the EPL you're probably earning x2 the best money you can get at Celtic and to get that money with us you probably need to stay your whole career to eventually reach that amount once your about 27.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The issue is we don't have anyone overseeing every aspect of our footballing operation..

Can't expect Rodgers and Nicholson to cover every angle..

There's a need for a DoF or Head of Footballing Operations, to instigate and oversee a plan when it comes to youth development and pathways to the first team..

Football has grown too much, not to have all aspects covered..

Frustrating how poorly we're ran, it's definitely minimising our potential.

Get with the times ffs, Celtic..

16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We have a pathways manager now in Darren O'Dea

JC Anton likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Tbf, I'd totally forgotten about that appointment..

Still, we definitely need someone who comes in and helps knit everything together. It's too much work for the manager, without the 1st Team suffering.

We also need continuity for when managers depart, especially if its unexpected, like with Ange and Rodgers 1st time around.

Double Dutch likes this.
  18. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't disagree tbh mate, it would be better no doubt. Still maintain it will take time and patience to implement it all, maybe a few tries to get it right. Plus we can still find and secure good players without it.

But aye, ideally we should be working towards improving the structure constantly, think youth development would be the single biggest benefactor of it.

JC Anton likes this.
  19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Is it a gamble offering those wages though when we have billions in the bank?

If we gave him £5k a week, that's £260k a year. That's £1.3m over the 5 year deal. McGregor would've cost us £1.3b in today's market.

* buttons to keep your top youngsters to see if they'll make the grade or not.

We really need to start joining the 21st century.

20. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I’m the exact same mate, if they’re good enough they should get their chance regardless of age, I think the times I’ve seen him play aswell he looked really good

JC Anton and NomDePlum like this.