1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. sabzz1888

If he was good enough to be a regular starter he would have been starting more already.

I want it...I want it now.

Nah sorry son you have to earn it like everyone else that has come before you.

Either sign or we do not waste our time and resources on you at the detriment of others who would run through walls to be in your position.

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I'm not sure it is players wanting to be a starter now, they want to develop and we don't offer that. He'd get sporadic game time but would be behind several * punts like Kwon and Holm. Just training with the first team isn't developing. Playing in PL2 would be better for him or even Leverkusen b team.

Anyway we say we can't pay our youth better, but what if you took Tilio and Kwons salaries and transfer fees. You could pay them better then.

Our academy is *, none of them seem any hope of being given a chance. If they stay they probably aren't very good.

Peej likes this.
  3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He was ahead of both Kwon and Holm last season. Kwon had been punted on loan and he was making more match day squads than Holm.

4. sabzz1888

Some fair points there tbh.

I just believe that if you are good enough then you would be starting, and the wage on offer would be according to how we rate your ability within our wage structure.

Admittedly whilst our structure will be amongst the best in Scotland we cannot afford to waste wages on potential that may never materialise.

English teams offering youths wages that compare to our regular first teamers etc.

All goes back to how badly do you want to make it at celtic.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    But we have the money to waste on transfer fees and wages on potential that may never materialise. We do it every season and it rarely actually amounts to anything.

6. sabzz1888

We do...but we know the history of our youths and have closely monitored them for years and years and know their worth and potential.

We do like to take punts on weird and wonderful unknowns but they haven't had the monitoring and reports our youth would have.

But if its all about money then he is best somewhere else as that mentality when trying to breakthrough to your supposed team is poor to say the least.

Plenty of time to earn a crust once you have proven yourself.

Walk before you can run.

7. Sween

I don't think our structure is the best in Scotland for youth development. I actually don't know what the structure is.

We seem to have such a gulf between our B team and the first team that I don't see the point in our B team. I don't see any examples of players coming through from B team to bench to starting. Whenever we have a genuine prospect in our youth set up they move at first opportunity.

If I were a young player trying to make it, objectively I would take the Ben Doak route or I would try to get games under my belt like Josh Doig did at Hibs before moving on, or Lewis Ferguson at Aberdeen. These guys have 100 games of experience in their early 20s compared to sitting on the bench every now and then for a few years at celtic.

Random Review likes this.
  8. Bangarangura

If it's his attitude that moving on is best for him then so be it. We will also have to move on , get miller and /or Watson in

9. henriks tongue

It's interesting that we run into this more and more often with our young players refusing contracts, like Vata. Previously, our youngsters would not hesitate.
    Some we understandably couldn't hold, like Doak - but if he had more 1st team opportunities, does he stay?

Not sure if it's lack of playing time and they see no path forward (most likely) or also financial.
    We have far too many poor quality, bought in, projects blocking their path.

One way or another we have a major problem developing, retaining and getting the most from home grown young players.
    Clubs like Ajax, Dortmund, the RB clubs and Benfica are the exact opposite - to absolutely spectacular effect.

The_Bhoy and sabzz1888 like this.
  10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Lennon miller twice the player Kelly is at this current moment, if Kelly is leaving…. Go out and replace him

11. ardis1967

The biggest thing here is that we all talk about your Ajax's, Dortmunds, Benfica, Barca etc giving the youth players a chance. The really simple thing here is they are at a much higher level than our youngsters. Far far better players which is why they get given a chance because they are actually good enough.
    We are far too much of a fickle support to give the youth a chance especially in a striker or CM role (even winger) as they are expected to produce straight away. A full back even a CB will have more of a chance as you're not as much in the spotlight. Imagine if Kelly was given a run of 3 or 4 games and he was a bit pish the boy would be getting slaughtered by our support anyway. Obviously we all love players like Tierney and Forrest coming through but I just don't think it's realistic anymore unfortunately

Crilly, greengrocer, Peej and 2 others like this.
  12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    All of those clubs play in much better leagues than us though so the carrot to stay instantly is better. The set ups at these clubs are also obviously better… but when was the last time Ajax won the league? When was the last time dortmund won the league? RB Salzburg is probably the best comparison but they don’t have a valid competitor in that league and also are owned by a huge company that can show youngsters a pathway to other clubs they own within bigger leagues.

I feel for that last point for non Scottish players (like they sign a lot of non Austrians) we’d have to have a partner club in a stronger league we have an almost guaranteed pathway with.

We’re hamstrung by a lot of things, but mainly the league we play in. Which obviously cannot be helped

ardis1967 likes this.
  13. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Jesus, we'd be as well just scrapping our youth academy at this point.

Morcombe, Mr Shelby, Gabriel and 4 others like this.
  14. Crilly Hakuhna matata

He played a few games last year in a season where we were behind and had a lot of pressure to turn it around…. Would be hard for him to feature that much with the pressure that was on the club to win the league. Still at only 18 aswell. I’ve no doubt he would’ve featured a lot more this season especially if he was with the first team from the start and playing in pre season games. Like Rodgers said the plan was laid out, if he doesn’t want to accept that, that’s fine but we can’t wait around over a young lad who might then just leave anyway. I still hope he stays but think that’s the right move from rodgers. A young lad should be more than happy to be rotated with players like Mcgregor Hatate, etc

15. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I hope He stays and learns from Rodgers as He could develop into a great first team player the same way as McGregor,Forrest and Tierney, would rather that We try and get the most out of our academy than going out and wasting millions on projects, Rodgers stated the first time that He was here that the Academy would be closely monitored as there may already be a first team ready player in there.

16. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    It’s a shame so many of our promising young players want to further their careers elsewhere. I don’t know if they feel they are getting a rough deal here or they are impatient to move up the next rung of the ladder. If you don’t want to sign an extension to your current contract then suffer the consequences and if that means dropping out of the spotlight then tough, welcome to real world.

17. stew37

I'd say agents have a big part to play as well. If they can make more money by encouraging him to leave, I'm sure they will.

I'd prefer we held on to promising talent and actually gave them a chance, but if they're offered good deals and still don't seem to want to stay, get shot of them. Don't want anyone hanging around that doesn't seem any future here.

18. Big C

Our young boys have very little chance of game time. We can blame this one and that one but as a fan base we demand we win every game. There was no way, he or any young boy, was getting any game time during the run in, for example. It’s a fact like it or not.

19. Foley1888

If the boys heads gone get him sold now rather than paying him and training him for 6 months for no reason.

I don’t mean that to be harsh on him it’s his choice but from the clubs point of view hanging on to him for 6 months is pointless we done it for a full season with Vata there.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Was thinking the same.

Be disappointed to lose him but I dunnonwhat else we can really do.

Clearly money talks. Shame. Especially after all the chat about his family being huge Tim's etc. Counts for nothing now.

buchanbhoy likes this.