1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Doing it for every player when they hit 16 is too much. We should probably be offering more and offer them more again if they are ready for senior football.

I think having a plan for these players is far better. I honestly think that's what stops people signing. No good loans, no game time. If you go to a PL team you get PL2 or a good loan.

Kelly wasn't in the squad at the end of the season. No youth players were,

2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Same. Not just saying it because I think we need to keep him, he's impressed me when he's had minutes. Definitely not the finished article but not looked out of place either.

When you consider we are looking at paying £6m for someone elses youth project who will get limited game time too, theres a bit of perspective to be considerd there too.

The_Bhoy and Crilly like this.
  3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Brendan better give him some promises

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

4. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Give the kids respect and a structured career path and the will show loyalty to the club.
    Treat them like * and understandably they will want to move at the first opportunity.The management of this club needs to get with the times and throw the biscuit tin mentality in the skip.

5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think Kelly looks like he’s got the potential to be a good player, but I haven’t seen anything in his performances that make me think a Man Utd/bayern/spurs would want him. Be a very strange one if he leaves and there’s no way he’d ever play games for any of those

6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Maybe a general rule could work where as soon as a youth player hits 20 starts or 30 appearances they get a wage rise or bonus? Incentivises them to continue working hard maybe and also guarantees there’s no riffs in the youth teams as they’ll all know anyone who’s achieved those appearances has done so on merit.

Creativecelt likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Meanwhile Football Scotland understands Tottenham have NOT entered the race for Daniel Kelly

The young Scot is still awaiting further discussions with Celtic's hierarchy about a new deal despite legitimate interest from Manchester United. We at Football Scotland exclusively revealed to you that Bayer Leverkusen have made a formal approach for the talent but Celts want to keep him around

Kelly's preference, Football Scotland understands, is to sign a new contract with Rodgers' side. But nothing has been completed yet.

Crilly and HoopyT like this.
  8. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hope we get him tied down to a new deal, can see the young fella having a great career here.

Crilly likes this.
  9. saltire78

We really need to stop spending £2-3M each on 2 projects from other teams when we can use one of our own and use £5-6M on a quality addition alongside them... Our youths aren't so far off the pace they couldn't progress with proper first team training and appearances

10. saltire78

I've absolutely no idea what we pay our youths, but given the living wage is about £450pw, I don't think it's unreasonable to pay any player knocking at the first team door about £500 for training/keeping fit for 7days a week. If they make the squad it's easily worth paying them twice that. Make an appearance double it again.

We can't match massive teams who're paying tens of thousands per week to youths, but no player could actually complain about being able to get by on 2x or 4x the living wage... After that it's down to the players!

11. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

How do we balance giving someone like him or Lawal a chance, who has already had a successful loan, whilst also keeping the fans happy with new signings?

New signings always come with bias in terms of who should play and are needed to improve overall quality, but it undoubtedly comes at the expense of our academy.

12. Foley1888

To me with the likes of Kelly you need to sort a proper loan out for him and get him playing in our league next year. A season playing week in, week out for a Dundee, Dundee Utd or Motherwell would be far more valuable than minutes here and there.

I think the likes of Lawal and Andersson who have been out and had successful spells it’s a bit different. Given the high volume of games we have in the early part of the season, I would be tempted to put one of them in to games like bottom six teams at home. I don’t mean throw loads in but give one of them a game in the first team and keep the bulk of the rest of the team as is. If they play well then keep them in for the next league game within reason. Similar with the league cup ties.

To me given the glimpses of Lawal, and the shape we play and squad we are looking to have if we have 6 centre midfielders in the squad, having him as one of the back up rotation options shouldn’t be out of the question.

If one January he isn’t getting enough game time loan him then.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Doak is a weird inclusion there.

Just imagine sitting down with any of these promising guys, Vata or Kelly we’ve been talking to for 6 months now.

What illustrious path to being a top player from our youth system, tried and tested academy to first team are you pointing towards? Forrest and McGregor? 15 years, 400 games in? Welsh who we kept from progressing incase we needed him for a game of two, could have loaned him to Serie A for a season to come back here? Kieran Tierney who we broke, infact the same manager as we have just now broke his body to the extent he thought he would needed to retire before leaving for Arsenal, who gave him time and treatment but we’d done the damage already?

What about Doak who left, played for Liverpool in the EPL, being nurtured and developed. What about Hickey, said he’d rot in our development team and could play at 16. And was when he moved to Hearts. Who done it again to go to Serie A, and he improved immensely. Moved again massive money to England.

Then who have we got to point towards as an example? It’s Forrest and McGregor. And they’re a long time ago as guys coming through. Ralston maybe, but then they might search his name from Celtic fans on twitter and see the utter abuse he took from 18 till 6 months into Ange.

Same if they ask Mikey Johnstone. What do we offer academy players, really? We don’t.

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We either give them time at Celtic Park when the games won or they force their way in. If they get a chance and do well, we continue giving the chance to them.

Frame came on this season against Feyernoord, and done very well. And what happened after? Taylor played LB through injury, Bernabei played who was useless and BR clearly did not rate along with everycunt else, Tony Ralston asked to play LB as well.

all happened after he done very well, at the highest level. Youngsters must look at that and think what does it matter even if we play well, if we get near.

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    No complaints from me about that our youth academy is a failure.

In 24 years its provided 6 first team players who were crucial first team players for 3+ seasons.

Maloney, mcmanus, mcgeady, forrest, mcgregor and tierney.

For a club that was built on raising our own talent we have sucked at it for as long as I can remember.

Where is the modern day quality street gang.

Why are we wasting money on young players like holm, yang, kuhn when we could just actually try using our own young players.

Is it cause a foreign name will earn a bigger transfer fee quicker than a scottish player? If it is then we should be * fixing that misconception buy finding more Tierney's.

If it wasn't for deila we wouldn't even have got mcgregor or Tierney.

Our youth system is broken and needs sorted ASAP.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s because our fans allow zero room for failure, and any young player that dips in form when they’re learning on the job they get ripped to shreds. The managers don’t trust them and will go for other players rather than trust the youth, our fans don’t have the patience, and we just let them languish rather than getting them out on loan for 50/100 games to come back to us at 20/21 with a bit of experience in them. Just incase we need them as 4th/5th/6th choice. Stephen Welsh under Ange could have been loaned to Serie A and played, came back. Instead he played around 4 appearances, maybe 180 odd minutes after we knocked back that move.

And we are in one of our most successful ever periods as a club, and that pressure is a lot to do with it. And the guys that do come in, they are pressure cooked and are usually of a different mentality. Guys like Ralston has a winning steel, then you look at our captain. And Tierney before him. That’s probably the counterpoint, sink or swim when it comes to delivering trophies, no waterwings to baby guys into being players.

ardis1967 and Dublin Celt like this.
  17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Nail on head, oriley goes imagine the up roar if our mid line up next season was

1st) Hatate McGregor bernardo

2nd) Kelly iwata lawal

If ever there was a time to give the young lads a genuine shot next season should be it.

Same with left back, Taylor is going nowhere so if we buy a left back then we may as well sell Anderson and frame because they are being cut off at the knees again... What id like to see is 2/3 players come out of pre season as genuine back up players getting solid minutes, for me that should be Kelly, lawal and Anderson at the moment. Then use the money to really go all out and strengthen and goalkeeper, centre half, striker and most importantly a right winger this summer. Use what we have for back up and let Rodgers develop it, then fill the remaining gaps with real real quality.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Morcombe and NomDePlum like this.
  18. calmac23

I honestly would be fine with Lawal, Kelly and someone like Miller deputising Cal, Bernardo, Hatate and one other, starting level midfielder to replace O’Riley. They’d all see plenty of minutes and all have different profiles.

I don’t mind Iwata and wouldn’t seek to sell him but we should prioritise the development of these younger players instead of playing someone who is average.

Morcombe and Dublin Celt like this.