1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. horseshoe

Been saying it for ages he'll be a great option for us in more open games though the middle, in europe against teams that you'd expect to have more possesion, doing a job like he does for the national team. Obviously Kyogo is our no1 and will start most games when fit, but Oh and Maeda giving us completely different attributes for different games is great.

2. Lewis Kerr

Could never understand Ange's hard on to play Maeda at LW. Just looks more natural through the middle. Excellent display from him today.

3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Probably because the lad playing through the middle is better. That said if Maeda goes up a couple of levels then I don’t think it becomes a guarantee that Kyogo starts.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Talk about marking your return home. Daizen Maeda made sure the fans of his old team Yokohama F Marinos, and his current team Celtic, would go home talking about him after he scored a first-half hat-trick in the 6-4 defeat at the Nissan Stadium.

Having enjoyed so much success with the current J.League champions, the forward was relishing his return to Japan and to this ground, and he’s extremely thrilled that he managed to deliver.

Speaking to Celtic TV, he said: “I used to play here so I was very excited to play against them.

“I got the three goals, it was a good performance and it was nice to show how I play with Celtic in front of the Marinos fans.

‘A lot of people were looking forward to me playing well and I’m glad I could show how I play with Celtic.’

“It was not just Japanese supporters, I think there were supporters from Glasgow as well.

“We are disappointed with the result but I could get the three goals and I’m very pleased with my performance.”

Playing as a centre forward like he does for his national team, it was not just the goals that Daizen had to be pleased about, with Brendan Rodgers calling his overall performance “outstanding.”

His pace threatened the Yokohama defence for the 67 minutes he was on the park, and the 25-year-old still feels there is much to improve on ahead of the league campaign.

He added: “Personally I’m in good shape but it’s more important to be in good shape as a team.

“We still have two or three weeks to prepare for the first game in the league and we will have to progress.”

The tour of Japan ends in Osaka on Saturday night local time, as the Celts take on J.League opposition, Gamba Osaka.

Of course, it’s a team that Daizen knows very well and he’s expecting another tough test.

Looking forward to the game, he said: “It will be difficult but for the next game we want to get the win.

“We think we can go out and put in a great performance.”

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
    Tommy25 likes this.
  6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

7. PaddyJamieson

Was brilliant today but let's not kid ourselves on, he got chances at CF under Ange and it was eminently clear that he wasn't as effective as Kyogo or, at that time, Giako.

His versatility will come in handy this season though and shows why for me signing a third striker is not necessary.

Tommy25 and Guchi Gucci like this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The finish for his hattrick was as composed a finish as I’ve seen from him. If he could improve that side of his game he’d be fantastic.

His all round game was brilliant today. Touch, workrate, link up play. Much more like it.

BhoyFitz and Tommy25 like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's had a few mate but there hasn't been loads that I can remember?

He was the J league top goalscorer and is Japan's main striker. Performed really well at the world cup also..

He's never taking Kyogo’s place but I do think he looks far more suited to that role. He looks much more comfortable..

As said it wasn't just his goals but his touch and link up play was class today. Overhead kicks. 40 yard efforts almost chipping the keeper..

The new manager would've been majorly happy with what he was watching..

If he can come on and do damage against a low blow, maybe even in a 2 up top even at times...he could be deadly. As we know, his pressing is in another level, and could be a key to terrorising diddy defenders/keepers in to mistakes.....as we saw wigh the penalty at the weekend..

I honestly don't think we'll sign another striker now. I reckon it's Kyogo/Maeda/Oh..

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  11. PaddyJamieson

I agree he's probably put himself ahead of Oh in Rodgers' mind now. His all round play was brilliant.

He's not had a load of chances playing as a CF but a few stick out, early doors against Hibs, Motherwell and Killie, I think, and against Bodo and the Huns in the semi final. We looked far worse with him up top compared with Kyogo. He scored a few but we did look worse with him there, no doubt, especially in the big games.

Edit: im not being a miserable * btw, he was excellent and it bodes well for the season ahead. I'm sure he'll be a useful option up top.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

but he was thrilled with his attackers and Maeda in particular. The frontman stole the show against his former side with a brilliant treble after being handed a start through the middle with Kyogo coming back from shoulder trouble.

Rodgers said: “I thought Maeda was exceptional in his performance. It was everything you’d want in a striker, running, movement and pressing. t was a brilliant performance and I’m very happy for him to come back and play so well. He scored three and maybe could have had one or two more.”

The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  13. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Insane to know he’s with us at least till 2027. He’ll get even better under Brendan. Hunskelper undoubtedly when he’s unleashed through the middle.

He’ll fucn destroy the Tramps’ plodding central defence along with Kyogo.

We’ll be sound for the CL if we recruit well at left CB, left back, right back, a new keeper and another imposing DM. Get it done Brendan!

Right back to cover AJ.

Hail Hail.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Fair play too him..

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's a real asset physically and does look to be more natural down the middle. He's a very hot and cold player technically though so I'm not getting too excited by his performance yesterday

Liam Scales likes this.
  16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We forget he's so much younger than kyogo. Maybe Rodgers will fix his erratic finishing. He's got the work ethic to work on it and young enough to improve. Glad he's signed on for longer.

17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers insists Daizen Maeda can be the centre of attention for Celtic this season as he sees the Japan star as a striker, writes Michael Gannon in Japan.

The Hoops flying machine notched a sizzling hat trick in Wednesday’s wild 6-4 friendly defeat to Yokohama F Marinos. Maeda was handed a starting slot through the middle with frontman Kyogo still building fitness after sitting out a spell due to his recurring shoulder injury.

The Parkhead gaffer knows the World Cup star has spent most of his time with Celtic on the wing. But he is convinced Maeda’s most effective role is at the tip of the spear. Rodgerssaid: “I thought Daizen was outstanding against Yokohama. I like him more through the middle. I think he does a good job on the side. But there is a reason he plays for Japan through the middle.

I think his penetration and his movement is terrific. I was really impressed with his touch too, because I think he’s usually a player who is running away from the ball. But when he had to link the game and set the game I thought he was very good. And how he threatened their backline was excellent.

On top of that his pressing is phenomenal. I like players at the top end who can really press the game and Daizen can definitely do that.”

Rodgers will have Kyogo back to full fitness soon and he also has striker Oh Hyeon-gyu fighting it out for the frontman role. But the Hoops boss believes Maeda can stake a claim as well as he revealed he’s been working hard on honing the Japan ace’s game in pre-season

There are parts of his game to develop but we don’t want him to be one who is running away from the ball. When defences are deep we need the front players to come off it, lay the ball off and get in the box. It’s an important aspect of football and I could see on Wednesday that Daizen could do that as he was excellent.

“It’s just about adding to players’ development. Daizen is still a young player who can improve. Of course, his strength is running in behind but sometimes there won’t always be that space. So can we develop his game and get him into areas he can work the defenders?

“But we could see from that 60 minutes against Yokohama he can do a bit of everything - and score goals. He’s a very honest player who will play anywhere for the team. He’s done a really job playing out wide. But when I look at his strengths he’s very much suited to playing central.”

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    Rydo1888*, tarboltontim and Crilly like this.
  18. Crilly Hakuhna matata

He definitely looks better through the middle, thought he was class yesterday but playing him up top leaves kyogo losing his place…. Would people be happy with them battling it out for cf with kyogo possibly losing out or would people rather maeda shifted Lw where he can do a job albeit not his best position but also keep our star striker in the 11?

19. oh bhoy

rodgers maybe thinks kyogo could play in behind maeda ,i thought it was maybe the position he was in when he came on v yokohama

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Can imagine him tormenting teams if he plays through the middle more often.

Rydo1888* likes this.