1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I never said i didn’t rate him.

Just because Maeda more of an impact than other players who aren’t good enough shouldn’t be the height of our ambition though. Haksabanovic or a done James Forrest shouldn’t be the standard to measure our players against either.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  2. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    It feels like Maeda's pros and cons have been debated to death, pretty much from the moment he got here. A divisive player to be sure, but personally I'm glad and not surprised that Rodgers sees him as part of his plans.

My argument in favour of him would be that if you look at individual skills or attributes players have, whether it be shooting, passing, vision, pace, tackling, whatever, I'd say that Maeda's pressing - or more importantly, his ability to close down at a high intensity and then almost immediately go again - is the one skill that any of our players possess which is at a genuinely elite level. You could also argue Kyogo's movement is in that world class bracket I guess, but I think that Maeda's ability to press, harry and close down for 70+ minutes compares favourably to just about anybody in world football.

Improve his crossing and fundamentals and you have an even more valuable player, someone I wouldn't be surprised if Premier League sides start to look at.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He can only compete against the team mates he is up against and had it not been for his form, Abada probably would of seen more game time. Im not mad about Abada either but he is a useful player on his day.

Maeda has shown more consistency and a greater overall contribution to the team. He already done enough last season, especially in the second half, and for a spell prior to the WC to merit his place. I would try and bring in better quality if we can, but he definitely brings to the table.

4. oh bhoy

19 goals from 71 apps from a winger 12 assists .maedas doing just fine

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

And on Maeda’s speed, the manager added: “You can’t underestimate that. He’s a player different to some of the others.

“Some of the other players' strengths are dribbling and taking people on, but what he gives the team is he can play in a number of positions.

“He sets the tone for the pressing, whether he’s playing on the left side or sometimes he plays through the middle when he’s played for Japan, so wherever he plays, he presses the game.

“He works tirelessly and if we can help him add more goals to his game then you’ll see him constantly improve hopefully.”

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

On his way back from holiday

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. Big C

If anyone can help become a football player it’s Brendan. Happy he’s staying because it would cost us a few bob for a squad player.

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

I'll do it

agos, Rydo1888* and HoopyT like this.
  10. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Can see Daizen having a great season think Rodgers will get the best out of him

stew37 likes this.
  11. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  12. horseshoe

That's just plain ridiculous.

13. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye it's mental. He's just on a level of his own here when it comes to pressing.

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Daizen Maeda is loving life at Celtic, both on and off the park, so it was an easy decision for him to commit his future to the club by signing a new four-year-deal earlier this month.

Since arriving from Japanese side, Yokohama F.Marinos at the start of 2022, the attacker has scored 19 goals in 71 appearances, including a goal on his debut against Hibernian at Celtic Park.

He’s also picked up four trophies, including last season’s historic treble, and he’s become a favourite with fans for his tireless work for the team.

So in terms of the football decision to swap Japan for Scotland, it has been an unqualified success. The fact that his family have also settled into life in a new country also played a key role in him extending his stay at Celtic.

Speaking to Celtic TV, the 25-year-old said: “It is amazing to be able to play for Celtic for many more years. I would like to share the joy and happiness with the supporters and have more success again.

“I can’t live in a place where my family doesn’t settle well. Fans and supporters in the city and at the nursery for my kids have helped us a lot, so now we feel that the city is very comfortable to live.”

As well as his club success, Maeda has also been capped 12 times for Japan, scoring three goals for his country, the most recent coming in a 4-1 win over Peru in the Kirin Cup last month.

The player is looking forward to returning home again next week with Celtic as the Hoops head to Japan to take on Gamba Osaka and Maeda’s former club, Yokohama F.Marinos.

And the two games will also give Maeda and his team-mates another opportunity to impress their new boss, Brendan Rodgers.

“He is a fantastic manager,” said Maeda. “As a team, we are aiming to achieve success again with the new gaffer this season. Individually, I want to perform better than last season.

'I went back to Japan recently for national team duty, but it will be the first time to go back and play some games as a Celtic player, so I’m looking forward to it.'

“Marinos are a strong team. The team was strong when I was there too, and they have been winning the league recently but, yes, I want to beat them!

“For us, they are pre-season games. We have to try to win but also we will be playing to prepare for next season.”

Wllm and Boruc17 like this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Forget he's only 25

By no means a youngster, but still in developing years when we signed him.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    His workrate and also his pace defensively. I remember when we played Shakhtar Donetsk away last year and I think it was really noticeable how much less exposed we looked on the break when he came on (hope I'm remembering the right game).

Wllm and Liam Scales like this.
  18. horseshoe

Aye, plenty on here calling for Maeda to start the return leg on the right to cover JJ, was obvious Mudryk down that side was their biggest threat by miles.

Random Review likes this.
  19. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye he's quite a unique winger with what he offers. Granted, there are games he just doesn't suit given he's pretty limited on the ball but he's an extremely useful player to have in the squad.

Also worth noting O'Riley's stats in that graph...

Random Review likes this.
  20. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I always thought that * Tilman was lazy player. Looking at that im glad he didn't sign for them

Wllm likes this.