1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Christopher Jullien

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jun 28, 2019.

Discuss Christopher Jullien in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Interesting what he’s said about ange good to hear they do video analysis as that was non existent under Lennon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Christopher Jullien has lifted the lid on his Celtic exit and admitted: 'Ange Postecoglou and I just didn't click'.

The French stopper became the second most expensive signing in the club's history when he completed a £7million move from Toulouse in the summer of 2019. Jullien made an instant impact at Parkhead, scoring memorable winners against Lazio and Rangers, and helped the Hoops to an unprecedented quadruple Treble.

But a nightmare knee injury sustained in the Covid-season which derailed Celtic's dreams of ten-in-a-row would ultimately curtail the defender's career in Glasgow. Neil Lennon, the man who brought him to Celtic Park, was soon axed and Postecoglou was eventually named as his successor

While the Aussie transformed the Hoops, his arrival ultimately had consequences for Jullien, who was still recovering from a year-long injury lay-off. The giant defender made just one sub appearance last season and returned to his homeland with Montpellier during the summer after growing frustrated at his lack of opportunities.

It was a rollercoaster three years for the 29-year-old, who couldn't break up the formidable defensive partnership of Cameron Carter-Vickers and Carl Starfelt after making his long-awaited injury comeback.

He told the Daily Mail: "I came back from France and I could see the coach was trying to implement new ideas. But I couldn't take part. As he's said, he doesn't stop! He started on his way and never looked back

I had some conversations at the beginning about how he sees the game. It was fascinating. I can say he is one of the best trainers I have witnessed. But the man himself, we just didn't click

Sometimes my team-mates would say why not go and see him? And I'm like 'man, what do you want me to say? The team is winning every game three or four-zero, you're winning everything'.

"He was a really good coach but as a man we didn't have that link. I understand that management is difficult. It's not just 11 players and keeping everyone involved is hard because players can be impatient, emotional.

"I played just once. It was a cup game against a second division team and I felt I could have had more time but afterwards I said 'thanks coach'.

Before the season finished I went to see him, not to ask to play, but to see how he found me in training and my level. After we finished the meeting he said: 'If we are champions I will probably give you some minutes

It didn't happen. It felt like he'd told me something and done the contrary."

Jullien felt like an outsider as Postecoglou's side celebrated a famous title-winning season after a resounding 6-0 win against Motherwell on trophy day.

The one-time fans' favourite expected to be given a farewell cameo appearance but instead watched on from the stands as the champions ended the campaign in style.

A summer exit was inevitable and after a move to Schalke collapsed, Jullien eventually upped sticks and sealed a £1m switch to Montpellier. However, despite featuring in a handful of pre-season games, Jullien admits he didn't bother saying farewell to Postecoglou

He explained: "When summer came I had the feeling he was really distant about me. So when I moved I didn't say bye.

"I said goodbye to the people who helped me the most during my time at Celtic, Cal [Callum McGregor] was the first one I spoke to. Now I'm back playing in Ligue 1 and it feels good.

"I have no regrets about Celtic. The first year was unbelievable. The second year was a disaster! And the third year I was happy because I was back from injury.

"The surgeon gave me the green light in November, 11 months after the injury, so I knew I was fit but I never got the chance to show it.

"We played Motherwell on the final day when we were already champions. I thought I would have the last chance to play at Celtic Park in front of everyone

I remember after the game people were filming me during the celebrations and, looking at the footage, you would think this guy doesn't care.

"But the thing is I didn't participate in one minute of the championship. I did not run for this trophy, I never broke sweat for it. I wish I could have celebrated but inside my heart I just couldn't."

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s an interesting and very fair interview, a like the big guy.

5. cammy07

Meh fair enough, he went moaning to the press about not playing so can hardly complain about being frozen out/not being given minutes at the end of the season for the sake of it.

The truth is in his cameo appearance he looked crippled, could hardly move and was nowhere near fit enough to play. He probably would have got a run out at some point at the end of the season but he clearly burnt his bridges with Ange when he did that interview and was completely frozen out after.

FranceCelt likes this.
  6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Posting about us today.

I love his cup final goal and celebration. Cool as *.

7. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Really wanted to like him and am grateful for his efforts but the poor me’s are ripping out of the guy.

FranceCelt likes this.
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    4575D1EC-7343-4EA2-855B-A0E732CCBFEB.png

In the who scored european team of the week

10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

11. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing

Big man involved in some late drama

12. Sentinel

Big diddybag.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I liked him during his first season with us but I've got a feeling he was one of the players causing a bit of drama during the covid season

Sentinel likes this.