1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Never happening.

Guardiola has made it clear he wants to use him this season.

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's common knowledge we've got money to burn before this anyway. An extra 25m is a pebble in the pond of cash floating around the club.

I don't even think it's they won't spend whats required. Apparently we've matched the £8m wanted for the mls boy, but they are holding out as they can't replace due to the window being closed.

Then we've got them blowing 9m on a 2nd striker.

I think the problems the targets rodgers is wanting and he won't move to the attainable backup until the very last minute if we can't get his choice. Fact those targets have multiple suitors, it's not just about paying the money.

But hey, I don't know what's actually going on in the background and until rodgers comes out and blasts them for not doing their job, then it's down to the targets he wants and willing to wait. He did say he could've signed 10 players, just not the ones he wants.

Anyway, interesting last week. Remember when we brought matt in on the last week, first game against sevco and bossed them? Here's hoping for a repeat.

Celts88 likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If we are going for "quality" as said then this is the trade off. You think if we're going for someone of pure quality, higher than we've got that other teams aren't also going in for them? They have multiple suitors. You want only quality brought in? This is the trade off. The waiting game.

Celts88 likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spot on. It's an absolute riddy that some people still make excuses for this board. How * long are they happy to accept the * being chucked their way before they open their eyes and see we're being short changed.

These people who are hitting out with "aye but Scotland's a backwater and we can't attract quality" are genuinely * brain dead.

It's amazing we've signed players like Dembele, Edouard, Van Dijk, Jota, O'Riley, Kyogo, Carter-Vickers, Ajer, Wanyama, and Frimpong all in the last 10-15 years. Pretty much all these players who have moved on to top 5 leagues/won titles/played in European finals etc.

How have a club in a "backwater" managed to sign all those quality players who have made us a collective fortune, proving the model works when used properly?

We have always been able to, and will always be able to, attract very good footballers. Our board are just completely incompetent/unwilling to put a proper recruitment structure in place and pay that bit extra to secure them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  5. themouth1888

Not necessarily on here look on twitter etc. The boys who are delighted just winning the SPL by 1pt every year.

Could and should burry those * but we are far from that.

Rodgers mentioned improving in Europe or something along the lines yesterday. As it stands we are going to be much worse.

6. Slaw

Another day, another doughnut. Not even a sniff of a signing.

Widescale boycotts and protests if they fail to pull off the miracle that’s required at this stage.

7. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    O'Riley replacement should have been in a few days ago when Brighton started bidding. At least then we could have got minutes in tomorrow in preperation for next week.

DonnyCelt, themouth1888 and Gabriel like this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Tierney was home grown. More than half of the others was all on the last week of the window. This coming week and we'll know for sure if rodgers has been * over or not.

Celts88 likes this.
  9. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    If you pay people enough they'll come. We'll have over 100 million in the bank in few weeks.

Not many successful clubs are sitting hoarding cash but here we are.

oh bhoy likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Was mid flow and his name popped in to my head!

We'll see. Given the shambles of most of the transfer windows in the last few years, I'm not holding my breath.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Frimpong was also 400k or something from city to play devil's advocate so shows that the higher rated project types are also the way we should go if at all.

E.g. Diawara has a higher chance of success given his youth pedigree at PSG then moving to Lyon. Compared to a Nawrocki, or Lagerbielke who we spent a lot more on in comparison after a good season or so in their respective leagues.

12. Celts88 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The Lemon
    No we're not :38:

Bowling Club's are going bust everywhere and the only way they survive is profit from the food & drinks :55:

13. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    And how much do you think they are yearly?

14. celtic warrior

I don't think anyone disagrees that our scouting department, well, lack thereof, is indefensible.

There is zero excuse that even if we can't compete with signing players over 25 on competitive wages that would genuinely be great experienced heads to have in the squad, that with our resources, we can't have a set up that works globally to find younger up and coming talent.

We really should quite simply be doing better on the other end of the spectrum in find new young talent.

I know it isn't that simple but we had decent success utilising academies of clubs hoarding talent like City and PSG and even that seems to have completely stopped

15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

League will have become a level playing field with the worst Rangers side since they were promoted IF we don’t make at least 2 quality signings.

16. Sgt Neppers*

It really is all hands on deck now. We need one a day from Monday. Starting wi Bogusz. Mcatee ain't happening, Pep pretty much confirmed his squad is now 19, 20 players and needs everyone fighting (direct quote).

No idea why, but giving everyone at the club the benfit of the doubt here that'll well have a successful end to the window.

Celts88 likes this.
  17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

As usual we’ve left it too late and now chasing our tails going to pay higher fees now its late in the day and every team knows our bank balance.

We don’t need to spend massive money either, if we get Bogusz in along with O’Shea then can take a punt on a left back & centre mid like Beck & Diawara. The O’Reilly money alone would nearly cover all that.

I don’t mind spending less on players as a lot of best buys have been cheaper ones, it’s just not going for a scatter gun approach.

18. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Last week of transfer window so I expect some loan signings and that boy from Dundee for about £1m, boards job done for another six months and our bank balance has increased, so dd increase those board bonuses as our board has worked tirelessly but for nothing as other clubs don’t want our Scottish pounds

19. DonnyCelt

This. Whoever comes in now (if anyone does) isn't playing against the huns next weekend I wouldn't have thought.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  20. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    What I would realistically like to see us bring in:
    • £8mil + CM to replace O'Riley
    • £7mil + versatile forward
    • £7mil + CB
    • £7mil + LB
    • Young RW with pedigree
    I think we'll actually bring in 3 of the 5 below:
    • Bogusz as the versatile forward
    • £4-6 mil CB loan with option (last couple of days of the window
    • £5-8 mil CM loan with option (last couple of days of the window)
    • £4-5mil LB
    • Young random RW project punt
    If Bogusz or the CM fall through well probably get McCowan.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024