1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

No * is backing the board

Some of us don't freak out at the smallest of things

You on the other hand have this * breakdown every window

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

BRIGHTON hope to seal a record-breaking £25million-plus deal for Matt O’Riley within 72 hours.

And that will see Celtic crank up their efforts to bring in reinforcements, with Augsburg’s Arne Engels a prime target.

SunSport told how the Seagulls had leapt to the front of the queue for in-demand midfielder O’Riley, who could now have played his last game for the Hoops.

Talks are continuing on a deal worth around £25m up front, with further bonuses and a sell-on clause bolted on.

That would top the previous highest sales from Scotland, set when the Hoops sold Jota and Kieran Tierney for around the £25million mark.

It’s believed Brighton are now edging towards agreeing a price with Celts, with personal terms needing to be thrashed out after that.

If that goes to plan, O’Riley, 23, could have a medical before the weekend and finalise a return to England, where he previously played for Fulham and MK Dons.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers wants TWO midfielders in if O’Riley goes, with Belgian starlet Engels on the radar.

Bundesliga outfit Augsburg want around £10m for the dynamic 20-year-old. Lausanne’s Alvyn Sanches is also being watched by Celts.

More players will leave, with Dutch side Heerenveen keen on a loan deal for frozen-out stopper Gustaf Lagerbielke.

Maik Nawrocki could also move on as Rodgers eyes a new central defender and left-back.

Brighton broke their transfer record for the second time this summer after forking out £40m on Leeds forward Georginio Rutter yesterday.

But deputy chairman Paul Barber admitted they still want more players in.

Asked about O’Riley, he said: “I don’t want to talk about other clubs’ players, but we’re always looking to strengthen.

We’re still buying young and bringing in talent we think our coaches can improve.”

Danish international O’Riley has continued to star for Celts, despite the summer saga of where he will end up next.

Serie A leaders Atalanta have had several offers booted out by Hoops bosses. Southampton also tested the water as his former MK gaffer Russell Martin tried to land the star again.

But now their south- coast rivals look to have won the race.

O’Riley’s arrival could coincide with an exit for Billy Gilmour, who is wanted by Napoli in a deal worth around £15m.

But Barber insists they want the Scotland star to remain.

He added: “Billy’s a really important player. We love working with him, he’s a great character.

“We want Billy to stay if that’s possible

3. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    There's a reason why he has a breakdown every window.. because we fail to adequately reinforce every window.

You've could have called our current situation in June.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Quite rightly i want to put the foot down domestically and make a mark in Europe you can't do that with £82m in the bank and flogging your best players and not replacing them mate.

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

It's the same pish non stop

6. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Same excuses non stop.

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You have an elite manager crow on around £2.8m a season.

In the last 14 months mate we have taken in
    Over £65m in sales if matt goes that will soar to £93m in just player sales!!!

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Broken records

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

And you don't think Brendan isn't banging down the door

But I'll say again there's a number of factors why deals don't happen yer obviously too daft to understand

10. Sgt Neppers*

Same mate. The next movement will likely be O'Riley going, which just compounds the * show of another window.

It's hard to see an improvement from the closing of the last window to this one. Inexcusable and no reasonable excuse for it.

What have we been doing?? That was a question you asked...brilliant question and it'll never be answered.

Can feel a rant coming as I type, but like I said. I'll hold back and judge fully after the window closes. Would love to be proved wrong....just can't see it.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Totally concede the point on Bernardo (how on earth did that take so long? Like seriously, *?). With Idah, however, I'd argue that the failure was not getting an option to buy as part of the loan deal in January. That was a terrible mistake no doubt; but it's January's mistake. In terms of this window, we were essentially starting negotiatons from scratch and to get him in and be willing to pay that fee to do it deserves praise IMHO.

I really do think that what we have done so far, already makes it a better window than the previous three. Yes, we are going to be weaker than last season when MOR goes; but even there, I'd put the blame on last summer. We simply can't get a 2024 O'Riley; the failure was not getting a 2022 O'Riley last summer. We're not going to fix 3 horrible windows in just 1 window.

It won't be a great window, but there's still time for it to be a good window. That's already a big improvement. Our last good window was 4 windows ago now (summer 2022). As for why it won't be a great window, I just don't believe that we're hoarding cash or waiting for the MOR money. I think there are 2 reasons:

The first reason is exactly what you and JC Anton always say about our structure: it's almost non-existent! We simply don't have the bandwidth to plan ahead effectively or to do all the deals we need to do. Nor do we have the expertise to do them quickly and efficiently. We simply have to demand change now. I'm 100% on the same page there.

The second reason goes back to what Rodgers said the other day about risk. We're very risk averse. I think that shows in that we've shown a willingness to spend considerable money when the risk is lower (i.e. after a successful loan spell). Examples include Idah, Jota, CCV and Edouard. I'd even say that our risk aversion is entirely rational given our lack of expertise! That brings us back to the first problem: fix that and the risk aversion might well fix itself.

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Crow you have various targets we shouldn't be 9 days to go in window needing 6 players mate ffs it's indefensible

martin_d likes this.
  13. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Not all targets will come in

They want certain guarantee before putting pen to paper

Clubs go back and forward until the right deal is made

We sit back down with player

I'll give you this over 5 years brilliant

Player and agent discuss the offer

Aye it's straight forward as fifa

stew37 likes this.
  14. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    We have brought in zero outfield players who we didn't realise previously have on loan. :giggle1:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Agree with the last two paragraphs in particular.

I think those are massive contributing factors. No clear scouting/footballing structure behind the scenes + a risk averse board does not combine well and will undoubtedly have contributed to Rodgers' frustrations.

There's a multitude of reasons. Ultimately the potential end result just isn't good enough. 21st August and no new outfield player that wasn't here last season is wild.

I do think that Rodgers has presented them with targets to go for and definitely believe that they're either wary of the potential fees or dragging their heels.

Seems to be no willingness to just press ahead. Look at our rivals, serious chance to bury them and we won't. We've had numerous opportunities to and we won't. I'd say thats another contributing factor. We don't seem willing to. Whether you'd call that a conspiracy theory that some fans hold or not, currently the evidence suggests its the case.

Random Review and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

I guarantee they'll be a couple in before the window shuts

HoopyT likes this.
  17. john2061

Will wait till the window is closed to further comment but with 10 days to go and our best player leaving it's not looking great squad wise as it stands we are weaker since the cup final in may and that's unforgivable from this board .

18. jambo_cfc

I would say last year oreilly was the most consistent and reliable player and the numbers he got showed that , but if we can get our wingers and strikers putting out numbers from a few seasons ago then oreilly is more than replaceable , he will still be a big miss but i think we can get by if a decent players brought in , take ccv out the team and i worry for us and tbh i think we play our best football when hatate plays. A Celtic striker should be hitting 25-30 goals a season and we severely lacked that last season and thankfully oreilly filled the void that our wingers and strikers lacked last year

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    So this week basically nearly all the rumours have been of players leaving.. MOR will be gone. Worrying rumours of Hatate and Kyogo interest. Lager away but only on loan. Another youngster in Kelly gone.

Please make it stop:55:

For some reason and I don't know why I still think we will be happy come end of window.. don't ask me why but I just have a feeling. Maybe it's Rodgers calmness. 10 days to go, alot can happen.. make it * happen Brendan

Hammy89 likes this.
  20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    On the other hand it's the hope that kills you... :55::56: