1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ardis1967

All we want as a support is for the board to show a bit of ambition. We have all we need to become a top club again (I'm not talking about the likes of Madrid, Man city etc) but at least a club who can make the knockout rounds of the champions league again.
    Genuinely don't care about a saving a couple of million on Idah. You've employed the manager so back the guy with what he wants. He proved he can do it on loan last season. Manager clearly wants him. say if Norwich were asking for 10 million then fair enough haggle it down as that is an unrealistic price
    Once again from a position of strength we are regressing at this point in time. We've got a lot of work to do over the next few weeks and I literally have no faith the board will deliver. Would absolutely love to be proved wrong

2. TheHappyLoss

The performance v Hearts at Celtic Park 0-2 was one of the worst I’d seen in years

3. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Glad we have PB back but knew it was happening weeks ago so that took away the excitement of the announcement obviously. Can’t remember the last time I was actually excited about a transfer, CCV and Jota were big ones but again we kinda knew it was happening anyway.

Our transfers windows are boring as * these days. The next one will be Idah and it has/will be dragged out now until the end of the window.

NakamuraTastic and Lewis Kerr like this.
  4. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Need to go back to the days of webuyanyplayer.com (only an excuse)

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Apparently the reason idah is starting to throw the toys out the pram is because we met their original valuation. They are pulling the * suddenly upping it

6. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    That was a nadir for many fans and there was a real feeling of despair. Bar Turnbull who is now away we have pretty much the same side.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  7. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    There is no evidence of that. What has happened is we now want to sign the player and won't pay what the club want and that is entirely within their right. We are doing the exact same thing with O'Riley. We either meet the price and sign him or move on to the back up targets (wee joke cos we don't have any other targets).

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  8. TheHappyLoss

Sadly I think the Idah transfer will go right to the end of the window. Really hope I’m wrong (usually am)

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Zero confidence we'll get what's required but can only judge at the end of the window..

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    As the weeks go on we leave ourselves with a lot to do in a short space of time, season up and running this weekend, will be criminal if once again we fail to strengthen, serious questions will have to be asked.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well you really should care about saving a couple of million, mate. It's a * of a lot of money!

For me, it's one of those. If the board succeed in getting Idah in the end for a lower fee, then they will have been right to do so even if it means waiting a few weeks longer for him (unlike with Benfica, I'm not worried about souring our relationship with Norwich). They will deserve praise for that.

However, the converse is also true. If the deal falls through and we miss out on the player (who Rodgers clearly wants) because of all the haggling, then this will have to count as a monumental screw up by the board and they absolutely should get it tight for a bad error of judgement.

Only time will tell if this haggling is smart or stupid.

12. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    The board has history here. The most recent example being the absolute arrogance from Lawwell in trying to save a couple of hundred £k on McGinn. There is no doubt many other examples. The board is of course correct to negotiate, but these should be done as soon as possible. It's an embarrassment at times the way we go about our business.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    "The most recent example" then goes onto discuss something that happened 6 years ago :56:

Tim-Time 1888 and HoopyT like this.
  14. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It was an example, not a "discussion" and the most high profile one in recent years. Youre very naive if you think there hasn't been a raftload of ones in more recent seasons. But keep the happy clapping going.

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I'm not happy clapping. You said "the most recent example" and referred to something that was 6 years ago. So, by definition, it's not the most recent example if you believe there have been a "raftload of ones in more recent seasons".

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    When you hear things like...it's just as important to keep players..which it is very important. But....how many times does Rodgers come out and essentially challenge the board to back him properly. Getting more pointed this summer and rightfully so. I honestly wouldn't blame him if he * off.

scuzzy likes this.
  18. oh bhoy

the negative toxic energy that comes with transfers ,signing a couple of decent players now and again would help with that

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers insists Celtic know what business needs to be done before the transfer window shuts.

The Double-winners yesterday clinched the £3.5million return of Paulo Bernardo from Benfica on a five-year deal, joining Kasper Schmeichel and Viljami Sinisalo as the club's third summer capture. Talks are ongoing with Norwich City over a deal to bring back Adam Idah on a permanent basis, while the Hoops are also in the market for a new left-back to challenge Greg Taylor.

However, the lack of activity has concerned the green-and-white faithful who have vented their frustrations towards the board on social media. Rodgers knows the champions can't stand still but refuses to breed the "negative and toxic" energy surrounding the club's business

He said: "It's always about quality, that's what is key. We had a good squad last season but we needed to improve on that. Thus far, we're still short even on those numbers. Paulo coming back is great but we're still short on that. The guys have been working so hard behind the scenes, we know what we need to do.

I'm not going to get bogged down by the negative, toxic energy that comes around transfers. We'll work with the players we have, we know we'll make them better, we know as a club what we need to do and what we need to improve and we have just under four weeks to be able to do that

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The need for quality again emphasised by Rodgers, working hard behind the scenes but canny come up with anything in over 2 months and now we're down to a time frame of under 4 weeks, from the outside looking in it just dosen't feel right.