1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm sure you can probably quote one or two dafties who have said things like that; but it's not at all what most of the board's critics on here have been saying.

I'm personally much more hopeful after this statement from Rodgers. It reminds me a lot of the time that Ange called them out about not getting players in quickly enough in his first window.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  2. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That won’t happen, but it’s equally concerning that those who do come in won’t have had a proper preseason and be ready to contribute on the first day of the season. As usual, we’ll spend weeks waiting to get those players up to speed, rather than them having a fair run at it.

Watching Kuhn last night, you see the benefits of a proper preseason both in terms of the player being settled and being properly fit/sharp. It’s mental to think that Bernardo won’t have had that opportunity either last season or this season.

Sgt Neppers* and Dublin Celt like this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

Granted it's not ideal not having the players in our squad for our pre-season, but it's not like any new potential recruits are sitting on their arses doing hee-haw, they'll be at their repsective clubs at pre-season.

Trust the process chaps, there's no alterior speak here with Brendan, he's telling us to chill the * out the guys have it under control :smoke:

4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Not signing Bernardo and a striker, preferably Idah for me, before we play our first game of the season would be extremely worrying for me and I remain relatively calm at this moment in time.

5. Crilly Hakuhna matata

He said he had a long meeting with Michael and Chris. Who is Chris?

6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Chris McKay, Chief Financial Officer(CFO)

Crilly likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

There is.

Only the delusional/happy clappers are pretending it’s fine and the board knows exactly what they’re doing.

We’re about to go into the season with one striker, one left back (who isn’t good enough) and Liam Scales at centre back.

The fact we haven’t signed an outfield player yet is nothing short of a disgrace and I’d question anyone’s ambition for Celtic to improve if they don’t agree with that.

8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

*. Just because some don't agree with your hysteria they are happy clappers. The space cadets have no patience. Moon howler.

Dannybhoy81, stew37 and gandolf like this.
  9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    How many days and weeks are you going to give it before that relative calm evaporates and is replaced by anger at PL and the rest of the shysters on our board?

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yep, even from an integration point of view getting new players (I don't include Bernardo & Idah in that) gelling with their team mates building rapport and learning our playing style is a big advantage when we're needing to go into CL games come September.

As you said, it was a noticeable disadvantage for us last season too as due to injuries we had to throw guys in to important fixtures when they were just through the door and not up to speed. Any injuries to Taylor, Kyogo or CCV just now and we're up * creek without a paddle and £70m weighing us down.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

They are happy clappers.

People are seriously trying to defend us signing no outfield players when we’re as rich as we’ve ever been, and we’ve known for a couple of years we need a better left back and at least 10 months knowing we need better centre backs.

Like I said, happy clappers or utterly delusional to have faith in the board sorting it out. It’s been like this for years. Why the * do some people have faith in them to do anything different this summer?

thailandceltic likes this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don't particularly lay much blame at the door of Lawwell, to be honest. Michael Nicholson is his own man and he is responsible for the running of the football club.

Some people treat Lawwell like he's a * prophet, at times.

In terms of where/when I will start to panic, probably 2 weeks before the end of the window. However, we have done some of our best work over the last few windows on the last day of the window, when players are absolutely desperate for a move. I still think we bring in Bernardo and a striker before the season starts, though.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don't have faith in the board, I have faith in Rodgers to get what he wants.

jake10 likes this.
  14. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Cheers mate

15. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

There’s usually something of a middle ground. We’re a big fanbase with varying opinions.

There are posters like yourself who are almost always in a state of negativity, to the point where if we’re not winning at half time it’s a disgrace. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that - this is a forum and you’re free to vent in any way you want. I can be a negative * at times too - certainly a lot more on here than I am in the stadium itself.

On the opposite end of the spectrum there are posters like moravcik and DD who will have a go at people for being critical in any way. Equally as irritating, probably more so.

I think most people are somewhere in between, probably very sceptical of the board and worn down by years of disappointment, but positive that given our healthy financials it wouldn’t take too much to set us on a better path. We saw a glimpse of that kind of recruitment under Ange, which makes it all the more frustrating that we haven’t behaved in the same way after he left.

I think calling anyone showing a bit of positivity a happy clapper is pretty * tbh though, even considering how disillusioned we are with this board.

16. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    TBF, Nicholson is the CEO and reports directly to the chairman who is Lawwell. Unless you know their relationship, by stating that Nicholson is his own man you infer that he runs the show without influence from Lawwell, you can’t know that without being Nicholson or someone Nicholson confides in.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That's bang on mate..

It makes transfer windows a chore.

BelfastBhoy74 likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Again, why?

We’ve literally been here before. In his first spell he was clearly * off at being served up dross by the board.

Even last summer we went down the “punt” route, which I very much doubt was Rodgers’ preferred option.

I’ll happy eat humble pie if we pull off an amazing transfer window but absolutely nothing suggests it is likely.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don’t have a problem with folks showing positivity. It’s more reading people calling people panty wetters or having a go at people for wanting us to be more pro-active.

It’s as if they’ve never experienced Celtic in a transfer window before. People like myself have seen this dozens of times and can almost see the writing on the wall.

Now I do think we’ll sign a couple of good players and improve in areas. But given we’re now almost at August and there’s barely a hint of an outfielder being signed (other than Bernardo who was here on loan), I have my doubts as to whether we’ll bring in enough in the next 5 weeks.

We’ve never been in a stronger position financially and as always we’re dragging our heels.

Random Review and Peej like this.
  20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Well, he was obviously part responsible for getting rid of the recruitment team we had in place up until February. He wasn't happy and both the Head of Recruitment and the Chief Scout were shown the door. That at least shows that he's looking to take more control over the recruitment.

We have been here before. We always do the majority of our business in the last part of the window, when players are clear on their position within their current club and the offers they have on the table to move on. Even the great window we had under Ange, the first window, we done most of our business in August. It's just the way it is for us. If fans really want us to sign quality players, we need to be patient to allow that process to take shape.

I think that failing to get Bernardo over the line, when it seems like a fee has been agreed for over a week now, is poor. I think it can and should have been done at the back end of last week, so I'm disappointed that we haven't at least got that over the line. We just need to trust the manager that he will get exactly what he wants, which may take time and patience.