1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Absolute scenes when the bold Brendan pulls out 4 top quality signings and gets us through the CL groups along with another treble. Still be * raging about some pish or other.

Enjoy the ride ya moaning faced * :giggle2:

HoopyT likes this.
  2. murphy88

Juan Sara done well enough at Dundee as well. Beto Carranza was another.

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We're in a much, much worse position than you think. Assuming that we only lose MOR (which is already a big assumption!), we need at least 4 and arguably 5 or 6 quality signings just to get back to where we were under Ange never mind getting out of the CL group.

#1 to replace O'Riley. #2 to replace Jota. #3 to replace Abada. #4 to replace Starfelt. #5 to replace Hart. Arguably #6 (Idah?) to replace Giakoumakis and #7 (Bernardo?) to replace Mooy.

So at least 5 and arguably 7 quality players just to get back to where we were. If we're to have a chance of getting out of the CL groups, we will also need #8 an upgrade on Taylor and arguably #9 a defensive midfielder (Iwata really isn't the answer).

So for your scenario to be true we would need a minimum of 6 quality signings and arguably as many as 9. This is not going to happen

I'll happily settle for Idah, Bernardo, and 2 or 3 genuine quality players, which should be enough to put the Huns back in their box; but it's going to take more than one window to rectify the damage of the previous 3 and folk have a right to moan about that. I certainly will.

Frankly speaking, even if they shock me by getting in 5 or 6 quality signings to get us back to where we were under Ange, that only cancels out the last 3 windows and brings the meter back to zero. I'll stop moaning in that scenario; but I'll be reluctant to praise them for fixing the mess they themselves caused. And as I say, I doubt they are capable even of that.

4. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    That apologist * is insufferable..

:giggle1:

We're currently sitting with one "first team" LB and GK, absolute joke of a squad and he sees fit to try to frame it as issue that people are concerned.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    oh bhoy and Peej like this.
  5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I often wonder, why some * are creaming themselves when we get big fees for the like of Jota and KT-and then we go and make a total dogs dinner out of replacing them, while spunking half the money on deadbeat projects.

Rydo1888*, Twisty, oh bhoy and 2 others like this.
  6. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Fabien Cabarello played with them at the same time aswell. Once nearly signed for Arsenal but they signed Davor Suker instead.

7. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

"Emillio..................Emillio..............Emillo Izaguirre" I liked his song

8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Hondorus is part of North America...

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    You are a weird *

murphy88 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  10. themouth1888

He sung the same song all last pre season then ended up having to say sorry as he was wrong. I wish I had his belief but * knows where he gets it. I've come to the conclusion he's either a hun on the wind up or maybe no right in the head and he doesn't know any better.

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good to see my post annoyed all the right people. Many more choking to bite but holding themselves back.

Watch this space lads :50:

12. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Central America, I looked it up last night when I thought of him.

pedanticCSC….:67:

kenniemk2 likes this.
  13. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

14. Maestro 08

If we want that next level of player we are going to have to break our wage structure but we won't. We have the funds to buy the players but the ones that command decent fees can usually get better wages elsewhere.

For what we are willing to pay (wages) we require a first rate scouting set up to unearth those gems but again it's an area we are well behind the times.

We are stuck in this limbo off being cash rich, needing that next level of player but being resistant to change behind the scenes. We're basically being held back.

It'll most likely be another summer of waiting until late in the day to pick up the guys that couldn't get their move to the big leagues or going for 2nd/3rd choice players again.

Hope I'm wrong.

Skelleto likes this.
  15. Foley1888

Good to see Haksabanovic away and also Siegrist saying he is to leave so that’s at least two away. It is actually insane how many outgoings we could have this summer between sales and loans.

Sales

Abada - £8m
    Haksabanovic - £1.5-2m (est.)
    Oh - £4m
    M Johnston - £3-4m
    Kobayashi - £0.25m
    Siegrist - Free
    McCarthy - Free
    Hart - Free
    Vata - £0.25m compensation
    Lagerbielke - £1.5-2m
    O’Riley - £25-30m
    Hatate - £8-10m (possibly)
    Shaw - free
    Kwon - £0.5m

Loan

Holm - hopefully to SPL or English Championship
    Yang - same as Holm
    Tilio - I would sell if anyone will take him
    Frame - good to get a full season under his belt
    Bernabei - is out on loan just now if anyone will take him great if not deal with that in January.

Sell ons

Frimpong - £6.5 -£11m (depending which report you believe)
    Giakoumakis - £0.9m

If you take that sales of Turnbull, Ideguchi and a small sell on from Hjelde match up with fee for Kuhn then we will still have around £67m - ish in the bank, possibly more. The only unknown would be payments towards Barrowfield.

Even still you are looking at the club having an estimated income from player trading activities of between £59.4m and £72.9m.

A lot to happen to realise the above figures but when you look at the current state of the squad there is a lot of work to be done too. I think we need a minimum 8 in.

GK
    LCB
    LB
    CM x2
    RW
    LW
    ST

It is time to get a move on, the resources are there and access to more is available as shown above. Wages will come down too. Eight sounds a lot but we will be losing 16-18 to make room for them between sales and loans.

calmac23, Crilly and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    When you sell players for very large fees, it SHOULD give you the ability to go and get a higher calibre of player initially, to develop. Or any normal club with a plan on developing the footballing side of their department, you know the main part, would have that aim.

People talk about the Ange speech at the AGM, where you could see that the board were visibly uncomfortable. He was essentially saying

'At first, you buy players for £2m-£4m, develop them and sell them for £8m. You then buy players between £5m-£8m, develop them, sell them for £15m. You then buy players around the £10m mark and sell them for £20m plus. It's a revolving door, you don't get attached to players because they could be gone in a season or two and we will replace them with players we likely couldn't have afforded 2 seasons ago, because we've made vast transfer profits.'

I see the O'Riley deal. It looks like we are asking for £30m. Say we get it. That's very good for any football club, normally. Celtic have managed to convince their fans that selling players for any value isn't a good thing because we are so tight and so poor at spending the money, the risk seems far too high. What we should be doing is taking that £30m and using it to upgrade in 3/4 positions, players in that £8m-£10m range who will really take us to the next level. We won't do that, though.

Selling players for large sums of money is a very good thing, or at least it is for many clubs around Europe who we should be rivalling. Teams like Salzburg, Club Brugges, Anderlecht, Young Boys.. potentially the likes of Feyenoord, Braga, Alkmaar. The fans know that when they make a big sale, that goes straight back into the team. The problem is, we don't do that at Celtic.

17. calmac23

In a similar vein to the above, our squad this season should really be looking like this, at the bare minimum - anyone else should go, and this is before any major exits:

New GK
    New GK
    Bain

Johnston
    Ralston

CCV
    Nawrocki

New CB
    Scales

New LB
    Taylor

McGregor
    Iwata

O’Riley
    New MF (or Bernardo if possible)
    Lawal

New MF
    Hatate
    Kelly

New RW
    Kuhn
    Forrest

Maeda
    Palma

Kyogo
    New ST (or Idah if possible)

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    5 weeks to it all kicks off and we need 7 players in and 12 out the door.

We truly are a shambles at signing players but quite good at getting them out the door.

Dan Breen and PaddyJamieson like this.
  19. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Let's face it. We are not "locked" in signings with anyone. The club is going to lowball potential signings right up till the last minute and then bring in a few "projects" and "gems" along with a left field EPL reject on loan. An announcement will be along the lines of "we tried but couldn't get the deal over the line for (insert player)"

Blochairnbhoy and oh bhoy like this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    YEP! This is rarely even discussed. Why should we be on the same wage structure every season? We have been loaded for a long, long time and can easily afford to offer players a better wage. This is what will dramatically enhance our chances of getting the next level quality to the club.