1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    There's a lot of 'low quote messages' members posting at the mo..sniff sniff know what I mean!

2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I have zero issue with people being worried about the upcoming window, the board has lost a lot of goodwill with the last two windows, but this continually comparing with the huns business is beyond stupid.

They've signed 3 players so far, and all 3 of them I'd deem as project signings. The Fourth and fifth players they're close to signing (Igamane and Kabadayi) are, again, project signings.

If Celtic had started the window signing these players, the general feeling would be we're going down the project route again, and I guarantee no one would be happy with any of them.

Celtic have a lot to do to make up for the last 2 windows (especially the January window) but continually comparing our business to the huns isn't the way to go, we need to be far better than that.

3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fair point matey..A lot of us (myself included) are pretty concerned after the last two awful 'mon the duopoly' windows

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree to a certain extent.

But ultimately, regardless of the huns level and the level of players they're after, they have identified their targets and their bringing them in before pre-season starts. Whether or not they are good enough for us or would excite us is immaterial.

I'm not expecting us to have our business done already, but it's starting to look like we're going to go into July and the players will be back training, before we secure a single signing. As others have said, we've had 6 months to look for a goalkeeper. One should already be in the door by now. Had years to identify a left back.

The Euros delaying our business is a pish excuse that I've seen some people trot out.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    "Upcoming window" dude, it's open already.

It's early days, absolutely no doubt. But the start of the window - or lack of - and the way rumours and stories are seeping out, have all the hallmarks of the usual from the club. So the worry is very much justified.

It's also not just the last two windows. This is ongoing for years. This is the same thing folk on here have been complaining about for over a decade and been called panty wetters over it.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

6. murphy88

The excuse about not signing boys because the Euros is on is just another in the long list of excuses used by dumplings in our support that are blinkered when it comes to our board. I’m not in the slightest bit concerned at this stage however, but I wasn’t last year at this stage, and we all know how that played out.

Twisty likes this.
  7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Don't be Pedantic, you know what I meant.

You've also went on to argue a point I wasn't making, my point was comparing our signings/strategy to the huns. I have previously, and will likely state again in the future, that our current strategy is far from how a club our size should be operating.

What we don't want to do is continually sweep up OOC youth players and play it off like some massive start to the window like they've done. Not one player they've signed improves their squad, the players we should be targeting need to be better, we can't go for projects anymore.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    My point is I don't want us following what they're doing. They've identified players that are OOC and fairly cheap, not one of them improves their team on paper.

I agree with the euros excuse, it's not one I want to see us peddling, I'd very much hope we've secured a GK before the squad is fully back. Ideally, 4/5 signings should be the target before the end of July, any less and I'd be annoyed, anymore and I'd be pleasantly surprised.

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'm of the opinion that if we weren't willing to splash the cash last summer then I don't see any reason to suggest we would this year.

Last year we had just lost Ange and appointed Rodgers an appointment which split the fan base. When you consider some of the factors that caused Rodgers to leave (Mcginn Castagne etc) it was almost assumed we would be spending. Then on top of that we had just romped our way to a treble and banked the CL money and the Jota money in the process.

10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Because BR is the type to issue an ultimatum he done it first time round. I'm pretty sure he was vital in getting Lawwell Jnr the bump as well. Anyway time will tell

HTG likes this.
  11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Seems like a lot of folk are still wanting high quality players brought in, but on an unreasonable/unfeasible timeline. I'm afraid a lot of you are in for a very frustrating summer by the looks of it.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

It's the fact * don't actually understand how difficult it is to get players in

We sit down with player we put offer on the table

Player and agent talk about it

They come back with a new offer we say aye or naw

Player comes back with counter offer

It's a lot of getting the right deal and not getting the best player

HoopyT likes this.
  13. calmac23

I reckon we’ll start to make moves in early July once teams start to exit the Euros and the international window opens. It is a bit concerning that the links have died down a bit and we haven’t had anything concrete yet, but I’ll wait another week or two before panicking too much

14. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ok..fair point but what I was really saying is..There's a lot of rangers fans pretending to be Celtic fans posting!

15. James Gold Member Gold Member

Did he though ? I can buy that the Mcginn saga amongst others was part of the reason he left but I think Leicester were a big pull at the time.

It took us 18 months or so to appoint a head of recruitment he just happened to be the chairman's son and as * as he was he still hasn't been replaced. The board got lucky with Ange in the fact he was doing about 10 jobs and doing them well.

I agree though time will tell but I can't see us being any different to last year really. I hope I'm wrong

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

What I will say though is there is always an excuse last year it was because we just appointed a new manager the same new manager who spoke about the need of quality in the run up to the Jan window when all of a sudden it became difficult to do business in Jan now it's the Euros

craigtheceltic likes this.
  17. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Mibbes just clueless Celtic fans tbh actively looking for reasons to be miserable.

NomDePlum likes this.
  18. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I'll not get too worked up yet given its the 22nd of June.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  19. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Nothing says "unreasonable timelines" like knowing that GK and LB have needed reinforcement for upwards of a year.

I know you like to make the ad nauseam excuses every window, but come on mate.. :giggle1:

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Think we are above quota on those already.

HoopyT likes this.