1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

:rofl:

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's just a go at corporate.

The lyrics are "come up to 111, we'll sing on our own".

They are inviting anyone to come and join them for a sing song.

3. Kdawg

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aye, haha. My phone changed it. :eek:

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

4. The Celtic Way

I have nothing against the words of the song, just cant get into the tune of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Fair doos mate. I think it's catchy as *.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You lying sack of *. :smiley-laughing002:

8. Kdawg

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Innocent until proven guilty.

Can't believe I wrote Subo, * me.

9. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Subo would have scored it haha

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :56:

11. Kdawg

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hahaha :)

12. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I've only just seen the banner the GB did for Izzy.

Absolutely class as always :50:

13. made in ireland

14. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Judging by the queues outside the ticket office the last few days it looks like we'll sell our highest number of season tickets in quite a few years. Such a great feeling right now with Rodgers and the standing section to look forward to next season as well, can't wait for the season to start.

15. Lounge Act

Reckon we'll get over 50000? Would be a 6000 increase on last years (supposedly).

16. KG-Henrik

Loving the buzz around the club at the moment. Reckon we'll get 48k season ticket holders. Would be amazing if we got to 50k. A few months ago I considered not renewing because there was serious lack of excitement but being in the standing section I decided to renew last week. To top it off we appointed the best man for the job. Roll on next season!

17. LoveTheTic88

Isn't there a way of looking at ticket sales on the Celtic website? Or is that just for individual matches?

18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

seen this on Copa 90 interview with John Paul Taylor, Celtic’s fan liaison officer
    Glasgow's Green & White

Loud, controversial and fond of pyro, Celtic’s Green Brigade have played an unlikely part in changing UK fan culture…

Words By: Calum Gordon

Images by: Alexander James

“It’s been a busy week,” sighs John Paul Taylor, Celtic’s fan liaison officer, over the phone. “Sunday was over the top.”

Four days earlier, Celtic had travelled to second-tier Stranraer for a Fourth Round Scottish Cup tie, seeing them off with a comfortable three-nil win. The headlines the following day, however, were dominated by what happened in the stands behind the goal prior to kick-off, as Celtic’s self-styled ultra group, the Green Brigade, let off a few smoke bombs – a green mist descended for a full three minutes, by my reckoning, as the pungent smell of sulphur hung in the air. Thankfully, nobody died.

Being the enfants terribles of Scottish football, the Green Brigade have long enjoyed a fractious relationship with the press, the police and Peter Lawwell, Celtic’s C.E.O. They stand instead of sitting, sing songs that some may find distasteful, and have a penchant for pyrotechnics at European away games – much to the displeasure of the three aforementioned parties. Despite this and a slew of club-enforced bans in recent years, the Green Brigade has continued to grow, spearheading a new wave of youthful supporters, more akin to Celtic Park’s famous ‘Jungle’ fans – renowned for their boisterous and vociferous support – than those who prefer a nice family day out, complete with £5 hot dog and complimentary stadium WiFi.

So for many onlookers, last June’s announcement that Celtic would be opening a safe-standing section within the stadium dubbed as Paradise for the 2016/17 season and would be headed up by the Green Brigade came as a total shock (or a moral outrage, depending on your persuasion). For the past five years, the group – which ranges in age from fresh faced teenagers to bus-pass veterans – has had an official section within Celtic Park, which has unofficially stood for every single minute of each home game, bouncing and chanting through turgid one-nil wins against Kilmarnock and St. Mirren with the same gusto that the rest of the stadium would typically reserve for Barcelona.

The section will be the first of its kind within the UK since the introduction of all-seater stadia by the Thatcher Government in light of the Hillsborough disaster – a tragedy which many would say was exploited as a way of demonising and controlling working class football fans. Any discussion since about standing at football has typically been met with knee-* dismissals on the grounds of health and safety. The very grounds, according to Taylor, that are the primary motive for Celtic’s pioneering introduction of the new, fenced-off area which will accommodate 3,000 supporters. And despite saying that the club’s confidence was “shaken” in light of the antics of four days earlier, plans are still very much on course to go ahead. The same week, Celtic’s Peter Lawwell declined to comment.

Sat in a dimly lit Glasgow pub the following day, I meet Kevin, a member of the Green Brigade and the person tasked with heading up discussions with the club about the new section. He’s in his mid-20s, affable, intelligent, and a far cry from the media stereotype. “We’re looking at it from an atmosphere perspective, taking things to the next level,” adding that they want to, “ push the idea of how we support the team, vocally and visually for the 90 minutes. Hopefully, I don’t know, 5 years down the line, ten years down the line, you could have 3,000 Green Brigade members in there (currently they have 3-400 within the proposed section), and could even extend the section to a full goal end. And by that time we’ve hopefully pushed our mentality within the support enough that we can see scenes like you see in Munich, Milan, places like that.”

Such scenes, commonplace throughout Europe, are viewed with suspicion by football and policing authorities within the UK – there is an inherent fear of anything that is beyond their control. But for Kevin there’s a commercial incentive for British clubs to create a genuine “match-day experience.” “There’s obviously demand there, you just look at the likes of the Stretford End and The Kop,” he says. “Ultimately, from Celtic’s point of view it’s safer, because they get a lot of gip off the Council’s Safety Advisory Group for having 400 guys standing”, adding, “but I think there’s a commercial aspect to it for Celtic too, in that it will be attractive. They’ve sold out the 3,000 straight away and there’s a waiting list of about 1,400. If it’s a success, it will obviously be rewarding for them. Look at the likes of Dortmund, Schalke, Hamburg – they’ve got goal ends of 15-20,000 all standing.

“In my opinion – and I hate using the word – but from a business point of view, it’s attractive to them, because it takes away from just going to the football and just watching the * that’s on the park,” he laughs. “The football isn’t really attractive just now, and you can’t make someone go watch us drawing at home to Inverness Cally Thistle. But from our point of view, it’s not all about the football – it’s about going, backing the team regardless. And I think if that mentality grows, then you’ll always have people going, no matter what’s happening on the park.”

This year, the Green Brigade will celebrate its 10th birthday. It started with a group of mates numbering fewer than 10, huddled at the back of section 111 and singing songs. 10 became 20, then 60, then enough to organise foodbank drives, regularly filling 9 vans with essentials for Glasgow’s most needy, and orchestrating a full stadium to turn their backs, link arms, and bounce in harmony.

At the first home game of next season, directly in front of section 111, they will command a 3,000 strong crowd of fanatics which, over time, will probably grow. Even if they were to disappear tomorrow, their legacy will no doubt be that they changed fan culture within the UK for the better.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    This is our previous season ticket sales...

[​IMG]

Think this years will for sure be the highest since 2009/10 but dont know if it will be more than that.

20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Scary when you look at it like that. We've lost 14k people over the course of 7 years. Much money has that cost the club?