1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Too many young daft boys that think it's a good laugh to set off flares & smoke bombs, years ago there wouldn't be as much a big up roar but now that setting off pyro affects the club and possibly fans there is no place for it. Just cut it out it's common sense, doesn't make you an ultra to set off a smoke bomb around kids and older folk with possible breathing issues.

2. Dáibhí

The thing that confuses me is that we see shitloads of flares and smoke bombs being let off at grounds all over Europe.

Are those clubs constantly hammered with fines?

3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    In European competition, yes they are fined. Domestically, who knows?

4. Kyogo Furuhashi Gold Member Gold Member

This :50:

5. made in ireland

But I'm sure we all know, including KRS-1888, that advertising on billboards at football grounds costs money. But so what?!

Whether the SNP are a paying advertiser or not, it doesn't getting away from the fact that promoting their party at a football ground is political and hypocritical. Which, as far as I can see, was the valid point which KRS-1888 (and others) were making.

6. Dáibhí

The Football Bill that the SNP introduced (I'm assuming this is the crux of your point, as it is every time you discuss the SNP?) was designed to remove bigotry from football.

Now, I'm not going to get into the ins & outs of what constitutes bigotry and suchlike, as that's all been well covered in other threads, but that's the general aim of the Bill in the SNP's opinion, isn't it?

As such, the SNP aren't against politics in football, they're against what they believe to be bigotry in football, as relates to both ourselves and Rangers primarily.

There's a world of difference between a political party trying to stamp out what they deem to be bigotry and them paying for some advertising space to display the name of their party.

Does it reek of double-standards and hypocrisy in some respects? Yes, of course it does.

There is a difference though. And that's the point I was making.

7. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    If it was aimed at bigotry they shouldn't have specifically outlined politics in the bill. The bill is aimed at bigotry and politics out of football.

8. Dáibhí

Then why do we see the majority of Scottish clubs wear the poppy on their shirts every year? Why do we see involvement with the armed forces? Why do we see high ranking politicians handing over trophies and medals after cup finals?

We all know why the Bill was introduced, and exactly which kind of politics it aims to remove from football.

And again, on that basis I don't see why the SNP are guilty of anything more than hypocrisy and perhaps double-standards when it comes to buying advertising space on a pitchside board.

I'm assuming the armed forces could do the same.

9. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

This is * tedious :87:

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This is gonna go the same way as the Cologne thread at this rate

11. Dáibhí

I'd already moved on to discussing flares and European football when MII decided to quote me again.

I remember something similar with him, me and a few others in the Scottish Independence thread a good while back! :smiley-laughing002:

Truth is, we all know the SNP (and most political parties) can be hypocritical, can operate double standards and suchlike. None of that is new.

The point I'm making is that there's a difference between wanting to stamp out bigotry (or what they perceive as bigotry) and buying advertising space for the current Scottish Government.

It doesn't really matter anyway, does it? It was nothing more than a passing comment that's turned into a full-blown debate (a lot of which has been done to death in other threads).

12. made in ireland

I never mentioned the Act.

I was merely curious as to why you highlighted the fact that the SNP paid for an advertising board at a football ground, in response to a point made by KRS-1888 that the SNP were bringing politics into football. What's that got to do with anything?

You admit yourself that it's political and hypocritical. What then is the point in highlighting that the SNP paid for it... it doesn't get away from the point that KRS-1888 is making?! It's no less political and no less hypocritical.

13. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Because they are hypocrites. They want a certain type of political thinking out of football. Any that's not there own.

14. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Scottish and Brittish football is so far behind when it comes to fan appreciation. Once they have your money(substantial amounts) in hand, little to no interest is served.

15. Dáibhí

Like I said above, it was no more than a passing comment (based on a discussion I had a year or so ago on here with a few folk who believed that Political Parties were given advertising space free on billboards and in football grounds etc).

I was simply highlighting that it was paid advertising, just in case anyone didn't know.

I really should know better though, shouldn't I? :smiley-laughing002:

16. Dáibhí

To a degree I can understand it with the English game, as their whole product is built on a very sanitised version of the game.

Scotland on the other hand? We could be doing with atmosphere and more people at games.

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    This, when will these wee neds * learn its not needed and its only causing hassle for the club wee *.

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You used to be * hooligan ya hypocrite. What right do you have to moralise about football supporters?

19. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    He has you there Tim :smiley-laughing002:

20. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Tim brought 'shame' to Aberdeen though :56: