1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic park- is it time to increase capacity and refurb stadium.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Aug 16, 2023.

Discuss Celtic park- is it time to increase capacity and refurb stadium. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Aye your no allowed to drink at the games. Its been that way since 1980. Cant see it being re-introduced. Scotland, fitbaw fans and drinking is a different ball game from anywhere else in the world. It would be chaos

Random Review likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Looks good, the architect has released the info now so it’s no hush hush, you’ll get pictures on social media. The big dome has a stand in it which will apparently be for youth and females.

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    In essence main stand bulldozed main stand built to same spec as north to make symmetrical

27 +27+13+13

Works out approx 80 000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drakhan likes this.
  4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Aubergine emoji

NomDePlum, littlekennie and blackfish like this.
  5. BigDoggyWoofWoof

There should 100% be a way for ST holders to recoup a few quid through giving up their seat for that day through the club. Season tickets change hands within supporters clubs literally all the time, but you can't always offload it within the club itself. Don't know why Celtic wouldn't offer this, you could basically sell a ticket twice.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think the continued redevelopment of the surrounding areas is more important than expanding capacity.

What happened to the hotel?

Dan Breen and littlekennie like this.
  7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Might get some of the guys off the sniffy stuff:fear:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    Dan Breen and Random Review like this.
  8. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Get the viewing restrictions to * first. Wouldn't mind keeping the away pillar there, just to annoy away fans, but all the others are a farce. They've got to go..

Drakhan and Hammy89 like this.
  9. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

The stadium is showing its age. The concourses are really pretty poor, some of the concrete around the stairs is literally crumbling and half the toilet cubicles don’t even have doors. That’s not even starting on the random pillars across the entire North upper tier

Been to a few grounds in Germany and they put ours to shame. I’d love to see some money put into redeveloping the place and adding half decent food and drink options.

buchanbhoy and seanm like this.
  10. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As was mentioned, the problem comes that we would need to rent Murrayfield for a season, to accommodate all the season ticket holders, as Hampden is too small to do it again.

That comes with its own problems. Fans not able to travel to Edinburgh every second week, due to expense, or lack of transport after evening games.

11. leeso-ardoyne

Agree about the stadium showing its age with the crumbling concrete.

This might be nothing but Not only the crumbling concrete, me and my son was walking through the old Janefield street behind the north stand one day and noticed the steel beams that are in the ground are rusting and rusting bad. You can actually pick the rust off. At first I thought it was paint but picked abit and its definitely rust from the steel beams.

I work in construction and some engineers I know would condemn a steel beam if any signs of rust can be picked of it. For a football stadium that holds all that weight I find it crazy that there's beams showing any signs of rust at all. Would hate to think if that rust keeps up there's a disaster waiting to happen!

We all know what it's like when we're all doing the huddle. If them beams are compromised at all, there's a possibility we could be seeing something terrible happening one night at parkhead.

Maybe I'm over thinking but we're do you draw the line for allowing any rust at all in structural steel like that. I know theyd supposed to be galvanized and obviously they are but galvanized does eventually rust.

martin_d and Random Review like this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I said above that I think increasing the capacity is a bad idea (I'll add that I have no strong feelings either way about hotels and such); but I agree that crumbling concrete and rusting girders need to be sorted as a very high priority.

martin_d likes this.
  13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    A long term plan needs to be put in place. I would like to see the old stand demolished and replaced with something like they have at Spurs behind the goal. Suspect there may be planning issues but even a copy of the north stand would be fine. We need to move with the times, many things need upgrading.
    Am sure DD would give us a decent deal on a loan.
    And surely to * we can change name of North stand to something mare Celtic like.

14. marco van basten 9

Fav Celtic Player:
    king of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    first of all im a stadium nerd!!.Northstand takes almost 27k Jock stein stand and lisbon lion stand takes about 13k but that includes lower corners between Main stand otherwise around 11k Main stand takes 7850 something if Main stand were a copy of North Stand the stadium would be NS 26900 something JS 11K ll 11k MS 26900 totally capacity between 75-76k

15. DonnyCelt

Massive refurbishment is required not so sure about increasing the capacity as we'd have to have a plan in place for when we play the likes of livi and St mirren etc

16. dmccourt95

Increasing capacity beyond 65k is pointless, look around Europe at clubs spending billions and no one is drastically increasing their attendance some are even reducing it. Main stand needs torn down and rebuilt, modern dressing rooms and media facilities, coach access and just have a top tier be the extra 5k plus new corporate facilities as that’s where the money is.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But our model is quite a bit different from almost every other European leagues where TV money contributes so much more, and is more reliable.

Fans going to the games are what unerpins our financial health - even Sky money doesn't really come close to that in the long term. So expanding our available seating could well be a sensible model for us given we have a lot of people that would gladly pay for season tickets that aren't now. Me being one of them.

Few businesses would not invest in something that will give an increase of 10 - 15% of income on a particular aspect of their financial model.

luboagain and Hammy89 like this.
  18. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Floating pitch maybe? Cuts off the bottom few thousand seats, plus widens the pitch to give us more space to attack. Throw in a sonic attack from the new Celtic End and we’d be invincible.

19. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    One thing that annoys me is the bottom few rows of seats being made to sit empty in the champions league because of the advertising boards or some pish like that.

That definitely needs addressed

20. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    If we're selling out against St Johnstone and Dundee, I think we'll sell out against Livi and St Mirren etc.