1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

McGregor can absolutely boss a game from there tho.. and when the pace was intense at Tynecastle, Iwata was caught on the ball a couple of times.. there's an argument either way.

Dannybhoy81, PaddyJamieson and Crilly like this.
  2. PaddyJamieson

Aye, McGregor has dominated them from the 6 enough in the past to show he should start there on Sunday. O'Riley and Hatate in front, best possible XI.

JC Anton likes this.
  3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Think the opposite mate. I think hes 100% fit and is the 1st name on the team sheet

4. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He picked up a knock early in that game as well, think any other time he’d have been subbed off but we had a lack of midfielders at that point.

There was the 2nd goal he majorly * it, and injured or not, should have passed well before he lost it. Maybe the offside goal they scored it was? Shocking either way.

But that’s the only time he’s been phased and he was struggling like * after 20 mins in, moving awkwardly and that. Possibly just making an excuse for a poor performance because he was fine the next game but I noticed it before the * up, and it’s been an anomaly from what we’ve seen from him.

I want him to start and have whoever is the fittest between Hatate and McGregor next to MOR. Either one of them coming off the bench as well, thats a game changer. Both on it’s probably 60 minutes from them at best, and then needing to come off for the last half hour when I think we’d need either of them on the pitch more going into crunch time in the game.

Rather than seeing them come off for Iwata and Bernardo, that’ll be a lift for them instead. Even though I trust both Iwata and Bernardo, it’s not the same.

JC Anton likes this.
  5. Big C

I hope to * you are correct.

eire4 and Ryanm1984 like this.
  6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    You can be sure they'l try and lay one on him in the first 10 minutes ...Hatate too.

martin_d likes this.
  7. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He won’t be 100% definitely, he’s had one training session, back before was expected (which ironically is actually expected from him). So he won’t be 100%.

But the game and occasion is something he thrives on, and we’ve seen it before him coming straight in when there’s no chance he’s 100% and it not mattering a * to him.

He’ll start, I’ve no doubt. If he’s not 100% he’ll adapt his game to a more contained one picking his moments to press or push forward and conserve his energy. He’s the type of player that has such a variety in styles that he excels at all of them, he’ll put in a performance in a game like this regardless of how he does it. He’s had two exceptional games against them already this year, and the two were monumentally different types of performances and style from him. Parkhead game he was like a young Broony sort, Ibrox one he was a * Pirlo.

Ryanm1984 and Hope N Ur Heart like this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I reckon he's probably been training more than the one day Dev..

martin_d likes this.
  9. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Entirely possible mate, we’ve been coy as * from the start about the injury, the timeline, the extent of it etc.

Be good if he’s been training all week. But honestly even with on day, and I’d imagine a wee bit on Saturday fitness work rather than a full training session, I’d have no issue with him starting. I usually with any other player would have issues with that. He’s had the same issue a few times with us, and it’s always been fine, he’s just one of those players. We’ve done it with a lot of other players over the years, and it usually * us. Is that me just being hopeful or is it based on what we’ve seen through the years like I’m thinking?

McChiellini.. and Hammy89 like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Nah I hear you but has he ever really came bad in bad nick? Always seems at it..

We shouldn't do it but it's understandable with this one in the current situation. Has to be done and I think he'll be good..

11. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The facemask appearing he came back early, well before expected, not a lot of training, and was * unreal. Bullied them, can’t remember if his first game back from that was them or he had one before then. Kris Boyd was crying about nobody ‘testing’ his mask anyway, because he was touch and go. First thing he did was clatter into a challenge, showing no fear, and was brilliant all game again.

If he is fit enough to start, then I’ve no qualms with it, and usually those sort of things you expect an hour at most but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s full engine full game. He knows how to manage his own game to not gas even when he’s leggy. There was a brief point early this season it’s the only time I’ve seen him show obvious fatigue, he soon put a stop to that though

McChiellini.. and Hammy89 like this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Still early days for Iwata. Should have had 20/30 games to bed in. Had 5 - 8.

Iwata is class. *, this season McGregor has trumped him on bad games, hands down.

MoTM on Sunday TI

13. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I love Iwata, he’s been really unlucky to have knocks just as he’d have broke in or had actually just broke into the midfield. BR said earlier this year he’d been earmarked for games then not available, think that’s the CL games Bernardo got the nod instead. He’s the type of midfielder for 3/4, infact more than that pretty much most transfer windows since Wanyama left that we’d cry out for. Solid, reads the game very well, good on the ball, he’s also very good at picking when to push up the pitch and join in the attack. Picks the right times to do it when there’s no chance he’ll be caught out due to being out of position, because he thinks defence first and can attribute further forward.

Calmac is kinda the opposite, thinks attacking first but can make sure to think of the defensive side. But if you say who you’d rather play and trust to make the biggest difference against them, it’s unquestionably Calmac.

14. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Sorry, wrong use of 100%. What Im meaning is that that I don't think there's any doubt about him being in the squad and Rodgers comments on waiting until today's session to make a final decision is a bluff and Rodgers and Mcgregor already know that he's starting the game.

He won't be 100% having missed 6 weeks but he's a super fit guy and despite being out I don't think * he far off it and unless we are coasting or games gone i reckon he'll play the 90 too.

He was back on the grass last week and Rodgers said he wasn't being risked on that * pitch and he would rejoin full training this week. From those comments I took it that he was held back slightly and probably could of played if that had been at home to Livingston or on any other grass pitch.

Yesterday were the only pics we've had from Lennoxtown this week which in itself is slightly unusual. I think the reason for that is Mcgregor has been there all week and we didn't want to give that away until the last minute.

Liam Scales and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Do you think it's one or the other on Sunday? I'm assuming both might play.

16. Mr Hoopy

I don't think Brendan will take the chance with starting CalMac as Iwata has been immense and deserves to keep his place.

We need players on the pitch who are match fit - sadly, CalMac isn't at that stage yet.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Yet, Iwata is untested v The Huns .

I like Iwata but if McGregor is fit, he'll start..

Hammy89 likes this.
  18. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    McGregor for me will be pivotal in getting that first Tackle in the middle of the park to set the standard and bully these *.

19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    No way both will play?

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We've got good options and we may see them both on the park at the same time at some point.

But I think if he makes the squad, he starts.. Hatate looked on it last week, sharp considering how long he's been out, so he starts too for me.. as does MOR..

Then Iwata comes on for McGregor and Bernardo for Hatate.. honestly think that's the way it plays out, we'll find out if that's the correct way to go.. as the midfield is where it will be won or lost..

It is a good headache to have.