1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

He is the common denominator when it comes to these types of CL results.

I'm not gonna jump on him and go crazy with criticism against him because this season domestically we really seem to be onto something.

But a theme with a lot of modern managers nowadays in the ilk of Rodgers is that they stubborn to fault in how they must demand and see a their team play on the pitch, there is no deviation from their footballing ideals, there is only one way to play in their eyes and it is killing us in Europe.

2. kenniemk2

We didn’t play like that away to lazio or feyenoord so what was the difference here … I would have Dortmund down as a bigger threat than those two … I think the fact sahin was the opposition manager had something to do with it reported they did t get along at all at liverpool I think Rodgers refused to be conservative thinking he could be the master who punishes the student all for ego

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sabzz1888

We played like Falkirk did against us, only worse lol.

We simply cannot play gung ho against good teams, considering its what we do to scottish teams we should know what is going to happen.

Has to be the most stupid team setup I've seen in a long time, Don't want to see Brendan leave but serious questions need to be answered if we get gubbed like that again this season.

We have no divine right to win games but to lose in that manner and the embarrassing lack of game management is baffling.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It’s his ego.

He * loves himself. Will never change his approach because that’s him having to admit defeat.

Like I said last night, if we end up with another hammering against Atalanta and there’s no signs of him learning, I’d rather we went in a different direction next season manager wise.

Domestic dominance is brilliant and we play some fantastic football against the dross up here. But if we’re going to be European punching bags again under Rodgers, what’s the * point?

kenniemk2, Orsenfelt and JamesM09 like this.
  5. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's not the players we have that are the issue. No way we should be losing 7 goals to anyone.

He made a rip roaring * of it tactically. Again.

Bigger issue is trusting him to sign the right defenders to help us move forward. His record is abysmal.

JamesM09 likes this.
  6. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Looks like he's refusing to change his system, Atalanta are arguably more formidable with their style of play. Expecting another 5 or 6.

7. Mr. Slippyfist

His comments after the game shows he has absolutely no issues with HIS tactics or set up.

Sorry Brendan, but the scoreline says completely different.

The players he has at his disposal are set up perfectly for counter-attacking at a place like Dortmund, but so so clear lack still that physical aggression and defensive-nous to ever be able to compete.

I know I am nowhere near as good as even the shoelaces of an elite manager, but even I can see that we desperately need a defensive shielding player in the CDM, as can others. And have seen for a long long time.

Pogues likes this.
  8. JamesM09

This is the most frustrating part for me.

Why not drop deep to protect the backline and try and hit them on the counter with Kuhn, Maeda and Kyogo?

No one's asking to do it every European game, or even every away European game. Just when we're up against * Champions League finalists and Europa League winners for christ sake.

JML67 and henriks tongue like this.
  9. Mr. Slippyfist

See even if he wanted to start "aggressively" and play further up the park - that's fine, that's the tactic he selected.

But see after....what....20mins when we were 3-1 down, any manager worth his salt would know we have a * terminal wound and would need to stop the bleeding. What does he do? Nothing.

Tim-Time 1888, Pogues and JamesM09 like this.
  10. JamesM09

It reeked of arrogance.

It's almost like if we get hammered so badly he can wash his hands of it and call it a gross mismatch.

We can't keep getting hammered like this. It's going to become what this club is known for in Europe.

11. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    They topped the toughest group by far and beat PSG home & away in the semi-final. Would hardly call that favourable.

martin_d likes this.
  12. James Gold Member Gold Member

The first penalty and the 2nd goal come from the exact same move with our defence caught on the halfway line.

I thought we would sit deep last night and look to counter we absolutely have the players middle to front to do damage but instead we treated Dortmund the same way we would treat St Johnstone or Ross County and got hammered for it. It's strange as there was slight glimmers of hope that he had learned based of games away last season. I genuinely think he just bought in to the hype and thought we could match Dortmund

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 10:10 AM
  13. Mr. Slippyfist

Don't even think so much it was "arrogance".

At this point, taking into account the other plentiful scuddings we've taken in Europe under Rodgers - I think it's more that he hasn't a * clue against bigger and better managers.

JamesM09 likes this.
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

Dortmund absolutely did us a dummy in the run up to the game. Spoke highly about our attack line etc, bummed us up to high heavens knowing they had just invited us to something akin to a P Diddy party...

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Huge critic of him last season. Think today is an overreaction as:
    - whilst he's got to spend more on signings they we need a few more windows similar before we can suggest we've built a better squad for this level
    - there are still obvious gaps in the team that haven't been addressed
    - we need a proper football structure, not to rely on one person for everything

Rodgers isn't going to change, he is responsible for last night but he's also improved our play and squad. Let's see how we fair against as some of the other teams in our group first.

16. Foley1888

I was the same I know I was preseason friendlies but the way we played the games against Chelsea and Man City was what I was expecting. Sit a little deeper of the ball be pretty compact but when we get it have plenty of options for the person on the ball and hit our outlets to spring a counter. Pressing and counter pressing selectively when it made sense to do so. That last night was mindless.

I just posted it in the match thread and I reckon goal number 6 is the only time they actually had to beat someone to score and do something. The rest were really avoidable with some basic defending and a willingness and attitude to do it. It is probably the difference between getting the draw last year at home with Atletico and the other recent performances when stepping up. We showed a desire to do the basics that night and despite losing two poor goals didn’t give up constant cheap chances.

I do think the lack of exposure to regular good competition does make it very difficult. You only get a few goes at this level a season sometimes less depending on the draw of who you play. However, I can’t accept that type of performance as it’s not the best that group can do.

Building a squad can’t be easy either as to compete at that level you likely need two proper sitting midfielders where as we would never benefit from having that domestically and also almost a back 4 of all defenders rather than any attacking outlets. Greg Taylor is the prime example there, has had a good start to the season coming inside and creating chances but when asked to defend it’s criminal how bad he is. I don’t even blame him as we know what he is capable of and haven’t seriously made in roads to replace him. He is far from alone there but his example optimises where we are.

The embarrassing thing for Rodgers is he went into that game and set up like a manager who had never seen Dortmund play.

Dortmund got pumped by Stuttgart and they played a team last night who have less resources than us and it finished 1-1. By watching the highlights Sparta Prague could have won the game and had as good chances as they gave up.

Having watched Rangers play a similar Sparta Prague last year at Ibrox they aren’t anything special yet they looked fairly organised and didn’t set up to be wide open and got a result.

Any coach worth his wage, would have analysed Dortmund and their strengths and frailties and tried to set up accordingly. Stuttgart took them to bits by forcing turnovers and countering quickly. We tried to go and press them, left their main playmaker in Brandt unmarked and left acres of space for their pacey players to run into. Seriously you have to question who thought that was a good idea.

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Gaffer has been brilliant for months but got it badly wrong last night. Actually think he's right to stick to his guns for probably all of the rest of our games, but against teams like Dortmund you need to take the hit and ficus on keeping them out.

We have fast players up top, why is it such a no-no to soak up pressure and try get quick balls uo the park to hit them on the break? It's so obvious that's the way to go.

More of these to come in future by the looks of it. Pish.

18. Mr. Slippyfist

An "overreaction"? We've just been pumped 7-1, fella.

And this isn't a one off:

Barcelona 7 CELTIC 0
    CELTIC 0 PSG 5
    PSG 7 CELTIC 1

Twisty likes this.
  19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    All about opinions but for me they are not an elite level team and they are not the type of team the bigger teams will be worrying about.

You sometimes expect a pumping against the real top sides, Madrid, Liverpool, city, Bayern, Barca but not a Dortmund

Elite teams don't finish 5th

20. Dubliner1

He got it wrong last night 100% - he needs to admit this and put his stubbornness aside for our game in Italy. There is saying "horses for courses" - u need adapt to the situation you're currently in. Arsenal went to Atalanta and played it tighted.