1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    He either wants another crack in that league as he thinks he's not done at that level or he's going to build a dynasty here. He will have a vision on how he wants the club to be structured from youth development all the way through to recruitment strategy reformation.

Essentially, he becomes what Ferguson and Wenger were (and still are) to Man Utd and Arsenal.

Currently, I hope he wants to become immortal at Celtic. If the standard of football doesn't drop like it did in his last season last time, I'm delighted.

He must be backed though. We need more Engles. I * hate that we usually back a manager at the start of their reign and then it dwindles every window thereafter.

Rodgers needs to be backed to the fullest we can EVERY window. So far he's brought in Kuhn, Engles, Schmeichel, Bernardo and Idah for around £27m. That's a decent amount of backing. We must keep it up.

His track record for developing players is amazing. 85% of players have improved under him. That's an amazing accomplishment considering who his predecessor was.

I was sceptical about his return but we couldn't have asked for two better managers in a row. Ange was going to be given keys to the club until he left for Spurs. Time to go all in with Rodgers.

Edit:that doesn't mean we don't have a succession plan though. I think Ange leaving caught us completely by surprised and we went with Rodgers who is a safe pair of hands because of his track record in England and with us before.

We cannot allow that to happen again. We need a list of ten players for every position, and we need a list of ten managers at all times and being constantly reviewed at all times, too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2024 at 8:10 AM
  2. cammy07

Inevitably at some point he’s going to want to test himself at the top level again, which unfortunately remains the epl but I don’t see the point of worrying about that while we’re currently looking as good as we have since the invincible season (slightly better imo).

It’s genuinely exciting watching the team just now, and whereas previously tough games like Dortmund away would’ve been a bit of a thought I’m actually buzzing to see what we can do up against a team of that quality and see how we can implement our style of play on them as opposed to just rolling over and taking a battering off them.

From sort of February/march to now he’s done nothing short of an incredible job, while he shoulders some of the blame for the largely poor performances last season he was working with scraps due to the incompetence of the board. Going into champions league games with the likes of Yang, Mikey Johnston, lagerbielke etc etc the difference in quality of the squad now is mental.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I honestly think he does 3 yrs..

Hopefully he forces the club to modernise our footballing infrastructure before he leaves.. and ideally he sits down with a new DoF and they pick his successor...

If he stays longer, all good, but those changes need to happen.

4. PaddyJamieson

I criticise his transfer record a lot but those in bold are excellent business, credit to him.

5. henriks tongue

Hope Brendan keeps up the pressure (as intensely as a Maeda high press!) into future windows, and I think he will.
    We've all seen what strong competition for places and a couple of good upgrades can do.
    And we are still making a profit with a huge bank balance in reserve.

We should be bringing in minimum 2x Engels quality players every single window, especially when this high of a quality elite manager is with us.
    It upgrades the whole team on the park, increases value of the squad, every sale is higher value, we increase our sporting success, it becomes easier to attract talent - and so the cycle repeats as we continuously improve.

In 12-18 months we could have something truly special on our hands.
    Please don't miss this fantastic opportunity Celtic.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2024 at 10:34 AM
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree, he'll see out his contract. He's enjoying himself and has managed to get them buying a better quality player.

Not sure he'll get the other part done though unless there's a change of ambition at board level.

JC Anton likes this.
  7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I think alot of people are seriously overestimating Rodgers' loyalty, or, to be more accurate, underestimating his ambition.

If a mid-high table epl side with money and ambition comes knocking, hes gone.

Rodgers is well on the way to proving me wrong, in many departments, but i stand by my assertion that I would judge him by the end of his second season.

The great job he is doing currently doesnt negate his ambitions as a manager.
    A self confessed Celtic fan, Irish, etc etc, gave up the IMMORTALITY of 10 in a row to manage Leicester City.
    If you look at that in historical terms... immortality at Celtic v plaudits in England. Its a shocking choice from a Celtic supporter, and understandable one from a professional point of view.
    Nothing will have changed. Rodgers, rightly or wrongly, still fancies himself one of the top managers in the European game. He'll always be looking for opportunities to prove that.

In terms of histrionics, managers talk alot of absolute *; Rodgers included. Ange and "you'll be surprised how long Im here" , Rodgers' constant references to his Celtic supporting background, Christ, even Slippy g's "do i look happy, don't ask me stupid questions". Once the epl comes knocking, its over.

As i said, hes doing a bang up job currently. But getting attached is something I won't do anymore, and no offence, especially not to Brendan Rodgers.

seamus1967 likes this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't really disagree with any of that, other than it will be the end of the 3rd season when a club comes in for him that might interest him. I'm basing that on another summer transfer window which he gets some money to improve us and do better in Europe being part of why other clubs increase their interest. Which in all honesty will be win/win.

And if he decides to go elsewhere in the meantime. That's really up to him. Not going to get upset by it.

9. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Tottenham aren't about to sack Ange, but even if they do they won't go for Rodgers. His stock isn't high in England and he hasn't done enough to rebuild it with us yet.
    Also Spurs would be unlikely to go for another Celtic manager.

They'll probably go for Frank or Iraola. At which point we need to worry Rodgers might go to Brentford or Bournemouth

10. Mr. Slippyfist

One could also look at his previous spell at him having the frustration of not being able to evolve his squad, as what has been allowed to do now.