1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Patrick Bateman

You keep that tinfoil hat on, and everything will be grand… lol

And yes, we will most likely struggle again in Europe. Just like we did last term. I’m not impressed with Rodgers tactics at that level.

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

You just worry about dundee. They very well could be 4 clear by then.

3. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Brendan is going to put us back on the map in Europe, this season, the next season and the one after!! I just .ucking know it!!!

Mo-Neill12 likes this.
  4. murphy88

Just pointing out facts Patrick. Last season in Europe has nothing to do with how we will get on this year either. Rodgers actually had us set up pretty well last year. The personnel he had to choose from was the main issue. The squad is far healthier going into this campaign, and there is certainly more reason to be optimistic. I’ve not heard one Celtic fan who isn’t more optimistic about our chance this year, apart from yourself of course :87:

5. Patrick Bateman

Plenty of fans were optimistic this time last year. I made a very similar assessment about our prospects, and I was shown to be correct. I don’t really care for baseless optimism… I prefer a more logical assessment.

And I disagree with you, I think we were very poor in our shape and tactical set up last year. By all means, go with your hopium if that’s what makes you happy. I’ll be using my brain and eyes, because that’s what works well for me!

6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

7. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but the way our fullbacks have been overlapping recently, and particularly Sunday, has been a * joy to watch. The movement in general has been really good.

Looks like we’ve clicked under Rodgers again.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yep.

He's really improving Johnston's game. As well as getting more out of Taylor attack wise imo.

It's also not mentioned enough about how he's still incorporating the inverted full backs. Tactically we are bang on right now.

9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Going to be honest, anybody that still has grievances over the way he left needs to grow up.

He left because our board didn't back him in the slightest and made signings he didn't want, he's since came back, said he was upset with the reaction and has won us another title, and has finally got our board to react to selling a big player.

A manager of Rodger's calibre doesn't come near us if he isn't a fan, let alone twice, back the man and we'll go far.

10. Sween

Football fans in general have an absolute cheek to demand unwavering loyalty from players and managers, yet if they underperform for a few months they want them sold and sacked. Lennon got savaged for wanting to stay and try and turn things around when they weren't working. Rodgers got savaged for wanting to leave after things were working. If Rodgers lost the league last season most of here would de demanding he was sacked.

It is what it is. Football is a fickle game. We are just lucky to have Rodgers and the longer he stays the better. When he does chose to move on I will be grateful for him doing so well.

HTG and Mo-Neill12 like this.
  11. Patrick Bateman

We’ll find out when we play some decent teams in Europe.
    It’s more a case of someone BS’ing the fans about being loyal, and then farting off the first chance they get at an EPL job.

I’ve got no issues with the Mourinho types, that really make no attempt to hide the fact they’re a hired gun to do a job. Those guys are more honest and up front.

Rodgers is a bit fake and disingenuous. I’m not keen on those traits in a person. He’s a decent manager. Not one of the best in the game, but certainly a step above anyone in our crappy league. I won’t be losing any sleep if/when he leaves for a small EPL club or newly promoted EFL club.

If the next step for us, is to become stronger in Europe, then I feel we’ll probably outgrow someone like Rodgers eventually anyway. He’ll hopefully win a couple of leagues and then likely be off down south again.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree regarding Lenny. In fact, one of the reasons I wasn't on this forum for 2 years was how upsetting I found all that.

Rodgers, in my honest opinion, let us down by moving mid-season. I don't believe for one second that Ange just happened to get the Spurs job just as our season was ending. I mean he was was gone within 2 or 3 days of the cup final. It's too much of a coincidence. I believe he did the right thing and saw the season out successfully. Rodgers should have done the same.

Rodgers has more than made up for what happened, we're lucky to have him (he has achieved more in his career than any other Celtic manager since Stein); but I do think there was something there to forgive. I think he himself knows that and it must be one of the reasons he came back.

Pogues likes this.
  13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just a really weird attitude to have toward our manager, and trying to think we'll get better than him is delusional at best.

Mo-Neill12 likes this.
  14. Patrick Bateman

I support the team and club, not some mercenary manager.

I never said we would automatically get someone better, just that we might need to in order for greater progression in the future.

15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We've just pumped the huns 3-0 and your first thought is to come in and downplay our chances in Europe and our manager.

As I said, weirdo behaviour :50:

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    No, because we are already playing good football.

As much as making a mark in Europe is the next challenge, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for how he has us playing domestically.

Bizarre attitude to take.

If you think we cam get someone better who can make us a "force" in Europe then I'd love to know who that guy is and where he's been hiding.

The reality for us is finishing top 24 in this new format and having 10 games a season will be a success. We cannot go deep into the UCL. If we can, then he is even better than I believe him to be.

17. Patrick Bateman

I guess I’m a weirdo then… but a smart one that gets quite a lot things right. :50:

Never be afraid to be weird or strange in life. You’ll struggle to think for yourself, if you’re always trying to be a conformist and fit in.

18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Aye you are a * weirdo

Don't see you months first thing you do is have a go at the manager

Must be * on follow follow ya *

19. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    oh no you've got it wrong.. you fit in perfectly (in certain circles).

20. murphy88

You’re a * *, that’s for sure. You’re hoaching by the way.