1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cringer67

I don’t think that’s what his point was

2. murphy88

Rodgers doesn’t need to set a stall up. If we don’t strengthen then it’s absolutely down to the board. Just like it was last summer. He walked mid season last time after not being backed, so not sure what his point is about him not having the balls to walk this time.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

4. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    That's not my point. He didn't walk last time because he wasn't getting backed. He walked because the EPL came calling. He left before the season ended when Leicester were willing to wait until the season ended.

He came back in a blaze of glory, the word was he was getting all the ba king he wanted, we bought * from Asia and nearly blew the league until the huns imploded.

We've signed 2 GK's, when everyman and his dug knows we need a LB, CB, AM and CF.

He's saying * all, If he was the elite manager we were all told he was and he believes he is. He wouldn't stand about and take it, he would be verbally calling the board out or going to the host of teams that people would belive are willing to take him on.....

I stand by my point, I hope to * he proves me wrong. Our board will do nothing and BR will toe the party line..

5. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    My point is his stock is shot. He is not the elite manager some of our support think he is.

And he didn't walk because the board didn't back him. He walked cause the EPL came calling.

TBH, that's even worse. He knew what he was coming back too, but still took the offer knowing who was running the club.

6. Sween

He's not elite but his stock isn't shot either. Realistically if he wasn't here he'd probably be at a bottom half EPL team which is still a very high level in world football.

I guess it depends why he is here and what he wants from life. If he still has a greater ambition than celtic the problem he has is that for his stock to rise at celtic he needs to either absolutely dominate Scottish football like he did first time round or he needs to materially improve our standing in Europe. I don't think doing what we did last season for the next few years would really add to his CV. That said it wouldn't devalue his stock either so he probably could go back and manage a similar club to Leicester if that's what he wants to do.

But he might genuinely be happy staying here and winning lots of trophies. He's a rich man who doesn't need more money, who supports celtic, and who seems to enjoy living up here. Despite the lack of spending and everything else he may be enjoying life enough winning trophies and being part of celtic and he's is no rush to move on.

Creativecelt likes this.
  7. murphy88

He left because he got a good offer from Leicester and obviously didn’t feel any loyalty to our board after not getting the players he wanted. Can’t blame him for leaving in all honesty, and I never have.

He has said numerous times we need to add quality to the squad. Not sure where people are getting the idea that he is saying nothing to be honest. He done it again the other day and firmly put the ball into Nicholson and the boards court.

FrankMcCallum and HoopyT like this.
  8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This man is gonna have us purring this season btw. We're already looking CL ready before we've even got our significant signings done. Absolutely buzzing.

Rydo1888* and Crilly like this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

His ego must be swelling right now but fair play, if he can get us playing like that when the real stuff starts then we'll be a right good watch every week.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Even when things weren't great last season, the idea that his teams aren't capable of playing entertaining good football has always been bollocks.

Give him the tools!

martin_d, murphy88, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  11. Sgt Neppers*

Think its made a difference him being ready to go and start, hitting the foundation running this pre-season as opposed to last year. Starting from scratch in the end half of June.

Just needs given what he wants to improve the squad. It's clear as day.

Nice to see him calm, relaxed and happy.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
    martin_d, Rydo1888* and Double Dutch like this.
  12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He has even less tools at his disposal the now :fear:

Mr Shelby likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Exactly!

Imagine if we allow him to spend. Hopefully a big August.

14. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Ange had us playing a style we loved but had us so open.. Brendan is better all round when it comes to shape and breaking on teams. If we could get a quality left back..left centre half..another striker and a real sitting midfielder while keeping our best players..we could have a really decent team.

Crilly and Mr Shelby like this.
  15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Definitely a big factor this. Everything was up in the air when he came in, was near impossible for him to flick a switch and get everything running how he wanted it.

All in the past though, he's right on tip of things now and we're only goanyy get better.

martin_d and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Put the mortgage on it mate

17. FrankMcCallum

My main gripe with the club is the lack of ambition to progress in Europe and I hope that’s addressed, but I’ll tell you what, if the Huns couldn’t get the better of him last season then I don’t think they ever will.

You can tell how he loves getting it right up them at every opportunity as well.

I particularly enjoy when he’s condescending and praises them after beating them comfortably.

I suspect that after a season of tight, hard fought victories against them, we’ll get back to the 4 and 5 goal drubbings against them that Rodgers is renowned for.

Creativecelt and martin_d like this.
  18. Sgt Neppers*

You don't wanna get ahead of yourself in pre-season, but there's a clear improvement from last summer to this. The tempo, the pressing, the style, the quality of football. Couple steps up.

Nothing to back this up as to why, but looking back, he didn't seem himself over the winter. But come spring in to final stretch of games. He was in winners mode. Focused, relaxed, had the media and huns reeling. Had a smile and swagger.

Just a bit more needed in terms of the first 11 and we should be on for another successful season.

Rydo1888* and Double Dutch like this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Totally forgot about this. Now you mention it I remember it happening all of a sudden he just seemed to stop giving a * and started saying exactly what he thinks rather than, as previous, trying to keep his own council.

Around the time big Joe announced his retirement and big Idah started digging us out a hole if I remember right.

Look at him now man. He's exactly where he wants to be.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  20. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Buzzing Brendan Rodgers has warned Premiership rivals his Celtic side are only going to get even better, writes Michael Gannon in America.

The Hoops have been in red hot form on their American tour with a sizzling 4-1 win against Chelsea on the back of the 4-3 victory against Man City and four goal thumping of DC United. Matt O'Riley fired a classy opener before teeing up Kyogo for the second before Luis Palma struck a third and then set up Mikey Johnston for number four

Chelsea nabbed a late consolation from the spot late on but it was another slick display from Celtic in the reed hot 90 degrees heat. Rodgers admitted his men are flying in to the new season – but he reckons there is more to come as his squad build fitness and prepare for new arrivals before the end of the window

Rodgers said: “I don’t have any doubt. There is still a way to go in terms of fitness. It takes a bit of time and you can be a few weeks into the season. I think there’s more to come. I am really happy with what we are seeing. We have another week to go before the league kicks off but you can see the development in the players. It’s been a fantastic tour on and off the pitch. My pride comes from the work we do on the pitch and the level of football, the speed, the intensity, everyone running, fighting, scoring good goals and playing with personality.

It doesn’t matter if it’s Chelsea, Man City or DC United, we play to our intensity and we are a hard team to play against. It was very pleasing, when you see the level of talent Chelsea had. At any top team you need a structure and you need to have talent. Very importantly, you need to have the mentality to win. I think we had that from the very first kick of the ball to the end.

“Everything was very synchronised, the pressing, the work in such hot conditions. I was so pleased.”

Rodgers is hoping to have Paulo Bernardo on board this week ahead of the new campaign and the club are pushing for new faces. He said: “I hope so. You want to have them in as soon as you possibly can. Their current group is working very hard in their own right and we’ll improve the squad over the course of the window.”

Matt O’Riley was a star turn again amid several big money bigs from Atlanta that have fallen short of Celtic’s valuation. Rodgers said: “There’s been no change I am aware of. He knows he’s at a massive club. There’s been no change in his attitude of his quality and you can see that in the games

Daizen Maeda limped off last night while in-form Nicolas Kuhn missed out with a slight know but Rodgers is confident the pair will be fine for flag day. He said: “Nicolas was stretching in training and felt a sore back. He probably needs a few days. Daizen was just a clash of knees and there’s no need to risk anything at this stage of the season. Hopefully he’ll be okay when we get back.”

Rodgers is targeting new arrivals but Johnston’s future is not yet clear after the wide man notched again on his return from his loan spell at West Brom last season

The boss said: “It was just about Mikey coming back and getting himself fit. Mikey is 25 now and he probably wants to play. We'll just wait and see. There was no real discussions yet, its just to get back fit and see where it takes us.”

Celtic return to Scotland on Sunday and Rodgers hailed the US tour as a massive success.He said: “A huge thank you to the supporters. Celtic is a huge club, an iconic club, right throughout the world.

Crilly likes this.