1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

3. themouth1888

There's absolutely no chance agreed to come back with us * around so much again. I really don't understand what's happening.

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has told his Celtic troops they are miles off it in the pressing department.

The Hoops boss watched on as his champions ran out 6-4 winners against Queen's Park in the ten goal pre-season thriller in Mount Florida. Kyogo Furuhashi followed up his Ayr United penalty with a hat-trick during his hour on the pitch while the returning Matt O'Riley also got on the scoresheet as did youngster Francis Turley - who really caught the eye of the Hoops manager

Despite running out winners on the night, Rodgers was left less than impressed with his players on the pressing element of their game in the first 45 minutes and made that clear at the half-time break. Despite that being one low point of the performance the boss was still pleased with other elements in the game and particularly with the young players who took to the field as they look to make an impression on the top team. It's now just over a week of preparation at home before Celtic head for the USA to play three matches with DC United, Manchester City and Chelsea before the season opener with Kilmarnock in early August

Asked if he was happy with the performance, Rodgers told Celtic TV: "Some bits of it. As I said it is about fitness but also there was lots of elements of the first half I wasn't happy with. Especially with some of the guys who should understand the game better. Our pressing was nowhere near a level of what I would expect and that is what we said at half time.

"In the first 15 minutes we pressed the game better than we did in all of the 45 minutes. That continued in the second half. You expect some little mistakes and unfortunate things to happen in the game but overall you see we still have a long, long way to go with the pressing side of our game but also some really pleasing moments in the game as well.

"None more so than young Francis Turley coming into the game. I've only really seen him the last few days and you can see he is a football player. He does some wonderful things with the ball and has a natural instinct to get into the box so I was really pleased with him in that last final half hour. Overall another good exercise and another step up for us from the other night

He continued: "I think the young players will always give you everything. They stepped up from what they did against Ayr. We wanted them to express themselves even more and show better and more personality and they did that. Really pleased in that aspect

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Didn't see game as was packing for benidorm.

Who is he having a go at for not pressing enough any obvious candidates?

He must be livid with the board for the lack of ability to get things done. Mind he was praising the change in structure when he came back. Nicholson obviously a liar

6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As much as the movement on transfers has started to excite folk, I think what's even more exciting is the thought of Rodgers now getting things how he wants them.

Think coming in last season there were so many issues he and we as a club were up against, it must have been stressful for the guy. Half the fans giving him heavy abuse, trying to follow the success of Ange, working with in a recruitment structure that didn't work in the end. Must have been brutal circumstances to work under.

But now that's all done and in the past he looks to be firmly in charge and confident in putting the foot down. He's won a double despite an extremely difficult season and now has credit in the bank. Think we're gonna see big things from him and the team this season, guy is on a * mission.

SK89 and ardis1967 like this.
  7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

The thought of rodgers having the final say in transfers/players makes me nervous tbh and yes for full honesty i still dislike him.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I wouldn't call it out of order for not liking him but I know your fair enough that you'll credit him if he does a good job.

As for players/transfers, as long as he and the club work together there shouldn't be any issues. He knows his own system and what kind of player he wants for it, so the important thing is to support that rather than trying to put square pegs in round holes.

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Always think people have a wrong impression on his transfers, with us.

First season he brought in Sinclair, toure, Gamboa - all successes in my eyes. Sinclair most certainly, Kolo was brought in for the initial 6months to settle the backline and he done that. Gamboa did a turn for sure. Not the greatest, but did his turn.
    Kouasi was a club signing hoping for a diamond in the rough, as we often do.

Only de Vries would be the obvious flop.

First season he also sent Ajer out on loan and changed his position, clearly able to identify talent and develop it.

Second season Hayes, ntcham, roberts, Édouard and Bain to various degrees are a success.
    Comper clearly not. Hendry, musonda, Morgan, not so much obviously. A few in both sections are the usual club signings rather than a manager signing. So he takes some hits but some fails here too.

Season 3 is when it really started to fall apart, the story is well known and if we are gonna slate the board for not allowing him to be backed and forcing players on him at this stage (arzani for the outspoken one), then we can't use it also to say he is * at transfers. This year he had enough, he wanted Costagne and McGinn, hindsight shows both would have been excellent here and both within budget.

Last season, safe to say none of the signings apart from Idah was a Rodgers signing. The entire summer deals was the club continuing from before and the obvious issues with the lawwells is widely accepted.

He's certainly had bad signings to his name, but he's not at all as terrible as made out

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

HTG, Guchi Gucci, Ryanm1984 and 3 others like this.
  10. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I'm just enjoying his emphasis on energy and pressing....something we seriously lacked last season until the run in.
    I can take dropping points if attitudes are correct and you see a hard press and moving quickly, creating chances, instead of turgid * footing about football.

Once we get some deals over the line I'll be more optimistic for the coming season

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not to be negative to Rodgers, but going by the Hatate interview recently, I don't think we will see a return to that of Ange of real high intensity and pressing.
    It'll improve surely on early season last year, but I'd not expect too much of a shift back to Ange ways

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

12. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I feel a lot more optimistic with Rodgers bringing in the players that He wants this transfer window rather than the scatter gun approach by Mark Lawwell and The Board last season, Rodgers knows full well the types of players that We need and will fit in well with how We play, last season's scatter gun approach was diabolical to say the least and don't think that many of the supporters would have been happy with the same approach again, just hope that We will come out of this window stronger with Rodgers having full say on recruitment.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    There's still a long way to go in terms of him getting things how he wants them.

I can't imagine he's happy with the footballing structure at all. Hopefully we can get some quality this window but it really needs looked at, in terms of who is going to lead our scouting moving forward.

The youth development as well I'd imagine he will want improvements there. Thats his bread and butter historically.

The rumours and movement on transfers over the weekend till now has been encouraging but we still sit with 0 new signings announced with 3 weeks to go until KO domestically.

Hopefully some more after these 4 follow out of nowhere.

Guchi Gucci and Ryanm1984 like this.
  14. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Think anges press was like no other really. Old school klopp.
    But last season was far too turgid. Severe lack of. Movement

johnfife1959 and Peej like this.
  15. kenniemk2

Idah was his suggestion and he scored the winner in the cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  16. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Think his time at Liverpool started this theory and it has now been repeated so much people can't look beyond it.

The ridiculous aspect of this is even Liverpool's leaders like Edwards acknowledge the transfer committee's failings and lack of sophistication when Rodgers was there.

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The Mark Lawwell project was a genuine attempt at putting a better structure in place. He was installed during Ange's reign and made sense given the work they'd done together previously.

It just didn't work for Rodgers. This is why I'm not overly keen on the DoF route, any new manager we'd bring in would not be guaranteed to work well with a rigid structure.

Imo the way it is now is the ideal way to work things. Bring in a manager, let him have his own ideas and the CEO/recruitment team supporting him in whatever way he requires. Hopefully that's how it stays for the foreseeable, at least until we can find a fool proof recruitment setup going forward (if one even exists).

18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has demanded his Celtic players stick with his "no excuses" mantra after seeing off DC United despite concerns over the quality of the pitch.

Matt O'Riley was the main man for the Hoops again as he netted a first-half double in Washington before Mikey Johnston – who missed a sitter and a penalty – got in on the action. James Forrest would round off the scoring at the Audi Field as the Scottish Premiership champions continued to build momentum going into the new campaign - despite concerns over the pitch going into the showdown.

Rodgers admits he had a similar message to his side before they travelled to Rugby Park as they thrashed Derek McInnes' side to claim the title on the artificial Ayrshire pitch. Speaking after the full-time whistle, Rodgers said: “I think I mentioned before the game one of our key targets was that defensive intensity, because I always think when you have that defensive attitude in

Game it brings that offensive attitude which is fast and dynamic. I thought we pressed the game really well, all the guys, in contention, making the last step to the ball and that sped up out offensive player. So, some of the football on a really difficult surface was exceptional.”

Pressed on the pitch by Celtic TV about the concerns surrounding the pitch: “I said to the players that this is a game to show how technically good you are. It’s a wee bit like when we played Kilmarnock on the astroturf pitch when we won the title, there are no excuses.

We are here to increase our physicality and improve tactically, but technically let’s get your first touch - because the first touch is the characteristic of the top player. And tonight it was really, really impressive

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
  19. henriks tongue

I'd love to know Brendan's private view on the window so far.
    He was very clear in his interview that he was the one that delivered Kasper.
    “I’m really happy to bring someone of Kasper’s quality into the football club"

On one hand, I see it as a real positive he is so actively involved in transfers (unlike last season).

On the other hand, is it Rodgers code to rest of recruitment team (whoever they are???) to get the feckin finger out.
    He said he wanted several players in for the us tour, we got the GK sorted.

but with 2 weeks to new season - we are still waiting for another 5 or 6 first team quality players (maybe Idah and Bernardo are 2?)
    but is Brendan relaxed happy it's all in hand, really concerned that it's not, ready to bail if it doesn't change?...time will tell I guess

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    honda likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He knows what's going on in the background. If he's being fully backed, £10m bids accepted but players fancy warm weather instead then that's fine and I'm sure he'll be happy to an extent that we're willing to go for what he wants.

Fact we've not lumbard him with Koreans and other projects shows were going for only who he wants. May not get them but that's all a manager can ask. Then I'm sure we'll move onto the odd backup of need be.

Jacob knows and Crilly like this.