1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Agree - the quality of football is massively impacted by said injuries. I do and did prefer Ange's style but the narrative is far too extreme. There were horrible, scrappy wins under Ange too.

2. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Yep, and plenty of the "horseshoe" passing around the opponent's box. I guess the difference was the "never stop" component, the steady service provided to Kyogo, the moments of magic that Jota could pull out the bag, and the higher dependability of the defense.

MusselburghBhoy and bhroom like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That's what I'm saying though I don't believe he targeted those players or has a huge admiration for most that were signed.

He may have signed off on them, anytime he's said that has been in a media conference of the AGM or whatever. I highly doubt he's going to air his dirty laundry in public regarding recruitment.

It's quite clear there's been issues on that front and nothing will change my mind. It's not necessarily a free pass as he perhaps should have put his foot down sooner but again we aren't privy to everything.

The football should have been more consistent this season but again, I'd come back to the point that we haven't had a consistent squad all season. Genuinely.its taken until April for him to have a largely fit squad to choose from! That's wild. And suddenly we seem to be a bit more cohesive and playing better football or at the very least getting consistent results.

He's undefeated in the derbies, still have a solid chance to see title out and we have a Scottish cup final. I'd have taken being in this position start of the season. As debut seasons go if it weren't Rodgers we'd all be pretty happy I'd say, if we come out with a double then he more than deserves next season and a hopefully, better summer window.

Definitely.issues there and I really didn't see us staying in it at one point but let's just see the season out and evaluate.

4. Bad Ambassador

Fav Celtic Player:
    Landry
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I'm thinking that Rodgers has a real opportunity here to outwit them. They have ntl (nothing toulouse) and will play right into our hands we can almost predict their moves in advance and visualise a counter attack.
    Sun Tzu mate

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

6. ardis1967

walking out the stadium from that Hearts game where we got beat 2-0 I wanted Rodgers gone. I never particularly wanted him back in the first place but he's slowly turning it round for me. Definitely deserves another transfer window and to see what he can do next season with some added recruits (hopefully :56:)

Crilly likes this.
  7. DonnyCelt

On for a League and Cup double but not even nominated for the football writers manager of the year. Year Baldymort IS nominated lol.

The state of this country man lol

Peter T. Lawwell Esq likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Neither deserve to be nominated imo

Damnati, kenniemk2, Wllm and 5 others like this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Still a joke that "The egg" gets nominated.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes done well. Won one cup for a small team with 2 trophies in its history beforehand.

bhroom, Guchi Gucci, JML67 and 3 others like this.
  11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He can still win a treble. Horrible a thought as that is

bhroom likes this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Doubt he'll ever be as successful as Callum Davidson though.

13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    The egg lol

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. Sween

The timing of these things never works in a league where the top two teams only measure success by trophies won and we don't know the outcome of 2 of 3 trophies until after the award.

At the moment neither deserve a nomination in my opinion but if Clement was to win the league I think he would be a deserving winner. The standard set at Celtic is so high that even if we win the double I don't think Rodgers would be my winner.

bhroom likes this.
  15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    No point giving an opinion on him until the season is over tbh.

Win on Saturday and everyone will be behind him, lose and it'll be the opposite.

PaddyJamieson and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Over 90 points was always judged as an exceptional season. Even when we’d lost with over 90 points it wasn’t the season as a whole that was judged as poor, it was moments at the end we threw it away under our control. Motherwell Scott McDonald, ICT Lenny’s first season the two I can think of…

But it’s a thing across all leagues consistency and a very high point count is the expectation, Liverpool got beat with the 2nd highest point tally ever in a season down south for a high profile example.

The narrative Rodgers has railed against though, it’s a thing because he lost an 8 point lead. And now we’ve turned it back around, there’s a bit more introspection around the season as a whole. This season I’ve been quite harsh on Rodgers, the injury issues we’ve had I’ve never witnessed a season like it. But I still think there’s games and times we should have been far better, and he should have been. He’s got a grip now though, and he done it before we got the full squad back available, he got a grip and has changed his style to suit the team - and then we’ve had absolute key guys return. People forget how much Ange’s team last year at our very best was labelled unable to perform without Hatate and CCV.

I don’t think we’ve had a full strength team, or even a 90% full strength sorta team available to us for 3 games in a row this season

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s the perfect time to give an opinion for me that mate. One game can turn the fans completely or get us completely against him, before that can happen though, more level headed view to the overall season.

18. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers' comments about Celtic 'having a bit of fun' in tomorrow's derby match with Rangers caused quite a stir last week.

Philippe Clement reacted following his side's victory over Kilmarnock stating they were 'disrespectful'.

However, Rodgers insists his words have been taken out of context in the days since his post-match presser against Hearts and that he would never be disrespectful towards another team or coach.

"I think anyone who was at my press conference would've sensed the way in which it was said," the 51-year-old commented. "The reaction to that is totally without merit. It has no context whatsoever.

"I've never referred to these games as anything other than being intense, competitive. Whenever we talk about the game, it's that

Whenever we talk about the whole occasion, it's one of the most iconic games in world football. And I love it. It's one of the big reasons I'm here. It's a great pride and privilege I have of managing Celtic in a Rangers game.

"The whole emotion, the whole feeling around this game is absolutely amazing.

"I've seen some of the headlines around the 'disrespect' and whatever else, but it's totally without merit. It was never being said in that context.

"I never would be that person to disrespect another manager or another team. I suppose it's part of the build-up for you guys."

He added: "I've got to be honest, I go into every game, and people will reference the record, but the mindset really is to go in and forget about what has happened before. You can't rely on that.

"It's the preparation, the calmness of the team, the build-up to the games are relaxed but focused. And then of course you have to perform. And the players over both of my periods here have performed so, so well in these games.

"I am really looking forward to this game, 60,000 supporters, the pitch will be magnificent, and it's a chance for us to perform

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well, he's definitely wanting to stay here next season, if he's behind the Cooper appointment. I suppose it's good for stability. But I do wonder how will he work with Peter Lawwell still around to block bigger transfers?