1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye that's right 'the board' don't want us being too successful eh?

Be nice if Mr Rodgers can actually utilise whatever players come in properly instead of stifling them with a system that doesn't suit them. Time will tell indeed.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We shouldn't be signing players that don't suit the managers system in the first place, then.

I know you've not said it specifically and may not even be inferring it, but some people seem to think that Ange would have worked miracles with the likes of Yang which is complete * based on very little other than the fact he's from South Korea which is reasonablt close to Japan where he used to manage, by the looks of it. Again, not directed strictly at you. But just as there's issues with rodgers which I also think there still is too btw, it wasn't all roses with Ange and the longer he is away the bigger his statue becomes on the celtic way with some.

The level of player we have signed past few windows (and I include Anges last couple tbh) just hasn't been good enough.

I don't think it's entirely down to the managers (two managers') systems that many of the players we have, have underperformed. The spending of £8m on two players Rodgers clearly didn't target at CB (Nawrocki and Lagerbielke) is just another two examples. I wouldn't say Palma is a typical Rodgers winger either.

In many positions the team is polar opposite to what made him so successful first time round and at other clubs. Definitely needs rectified.

Random Review, murphy88 and Hammy89 like this.
  3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Rodgers hasn't really shown much of a system yet though. That's my biggest bugbear with him. It's got better but for months we were a shapeless mess.

I'd also note Rodgers according to him signed off on recruitment, including Yang. Ange's Yang was Montgomery so whilst I agree the level of player we need to sign should be much, much better, Rodgers hasn't been that short changed in comparison.

I thought Rodgers said Nawrocki was someone he wanted? Am I just making that up?

4. murphy88

We sold our best player in Jota, and then replaced him with Palma/Yang. Forrest was miles out the picture under Ange because we had far better options. Rodgers has had to bring him back into the fold because the wingers we have signed aren’t good enough. Montgomery didn’t have to feature hardly ever. Yang has had to play in big games this season because that’s all we’ve had basically.

Until Idah come in, we had Oh as backup as well. Someone who is absolutely miles behind Giakoumakis. The options Ange had last season when you factor in both recruitment and injuries is night and day compared to what Rodgers has had. Turnbull was another who couldn’t get near the team last season because he isn’t good enough. He was another who we had to call upon early in the season.

Big C likes this.
  5. murphy88

Bang on. The likes of Yang, Tilio, Kwon etc were all coming here regardless if Ange was here or not. Yang just isn’t good enough, that’s the bottom line. He is dreadful. He would be dreadful whether it’s Rodgers, Ange or Carlo Ancelotti managing him.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We haven't been great or consistent all season no I agree but I think Rodgers style relies on fast overlapping full backs and wingers with pace/creativity. I feel like we have very little of either. We've started to look better in recent weeks down the right for example because Johnston has started to overlap and become a * of a lot.more attacking.

I'm not sure why it's taken so long, but also we haven't had a consistent first XI all season and like it or not that absolutely disrupts the flow of a side, especially.one getting to grips with a new manager.

Also I would be careful what to believe with regards to who Rodgers really signed off on. Let's be honest Yang was targeted by Ange along with Mark Lawwell and was no doubt halfway in the door before Rodgers had a chance. Same as a few others. Nawrocki maybe not so much but it's clear as day that he had very little say on either window.

His anger at the January window and Mark lawwell and the chief scout BOTH leaving tells us all we need to know. There's things behind the scenes that have heavily influenced recruitment for years but the managers always take the brunt of it (perhaps naturally) but for me we should be clever enough as fans (most of us) to see through that. When it's happening season after season it's no longer just a random anomaly with a manager at fault.

Just because a manager "signs off" on a player it doesn't mean its their first choice. We seen that even back with Deila. Sometimes its a like it or lump.it.

In January Rodgers came out and said that we could have signed a left back but none of those presented were of the level required he felt. That again, if we are taking him at face value, tells us a lot. And is perhaps an attitude we should.have been taking sooner.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I just get stuck at he's the manager of the team and he inherited a squad that is capable of more than he has got out of them by a margin.

Why did it take so long for a performance like Saturday, for instance? Sure more players were fit but it can't just be that.

Also, giving Rodgers a free pass on transfer windows just doesn't cut it for me. I'm not even claiming he targeted Yang etc but he did say he agreed to him and others. He's an experienced manager. I also think he got caught up in "his" signings that all fell through as they were unrealistic in the summer. If he had no involvement I find that worse.

If he can deliver more games like Saturday he'll start to persuade me. At present I think the season has been poor and largely the squad has got us to were we are not the manager. That includes Yang.

I get others see it differently, and they are entitled to their opinion. Mines is just different. I've just not seen a lot from Rodgers. Better since December but the period before that was still part of the season and he went missing for me.

Mickmac likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Attached a quick image of last season's treble winning core 11. 5 of the 11 injured for large parts of this season or moved on. We also have lost Josip, Giakoumakis both last January who played their part in the treble, along with 2 or 3 others who chalked up high appearances who aren't playing this season.

The idea that he's inherited last season's squad is needing context added to it. Football changes week on week, more so during transfer windows. Rodgers squad available to him for the vast majority of games is not the same squad available to Ange last year.

Id always say, regarding transfers, that yes our managers will play the game and say they signed off on players (all managers would during happy periods), but it's been clear for years how we operate. Managers get offered a list of targets, they get to pick from a list, the guys upstairs then do the negotiating and then present the best they want to offer to the manager, normally on a "this guy or no one" effort. Most managers will take the guy, for the sake of having someone else come in.

That aside though, last summer Rodgers was clearly promised things had changed, when they really hadn't, regards recruitment. He's most certainly on the face of it going to sign off on all signings. Id say none before Nawrocki was remotely a "Rodgers signing" though.
    Come January, things had obviously taken a bad turn. He's then came to the "no one" choice in the offer presented by the recruitment/board.

I didn't want Rodgers back at first, but he's far from the guy to blame for the * we see this season, the same * every season regardless of manager.

That said, he doesnt get a free pass completely. [​IMG]

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Creativecelt and NomDePlum like this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I didn't say he inherited that squad. My point was more that he should be doing better with the squad he has. The first half of the season wasn't good enough, the second half has been better but still not particularly impressive.

It's only my opinion, the points you make are very reasonable, they just don't get me past the points I raise.

I expected more from this season and this manager. I think that's true of a lot of people on here, just there are different opinions on what the problems are. I'm not even close to saying Rodgers is the main problem BTW.

JC Anton and Peej like this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sorry man, that ended up being more of a general rant about folk who do bring up the last season squad chat. More than directly aimed at you. My bad.

I do agree, with the overall players available to Celtic and comparably to the league, this season should not have been such a drag.

I'll still defend him though, specially regards the injuries and sales being massive in forcing him not to have a consistent 11 for most of the season.

My hope (been burnt before with hope and this club), is that the up turn in performances (think the Motherwell game and onwards) is due to Rodgers perhaps being more at ease at the club, that something behind the scenes has changed for the positive.

He gets next season for me, regardless, but it needs to be a summer window of intent and we start with a bang.

A treble and invincible is hard to do, I'm not gonna demand that of him and the players, but I want to be seeing us pushing towards that sort of level again. Consistency, entertainment etc.

11. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Fair play to Rodgers these past couple months. Let's be real, he was firmly in the doghouse at the turn of the year. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, he has rewrote that negativity and created a new narrative. Most importantly, he seems to have brought the playing squad along on this. "We will write our own story" he said. And in 5 days he has the opportunity to write the most thrilling and climatic conclusion, by way of scudding Tribute FC in front of 60000 Celtic fans to all but secure the title.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's definitely gotten in Clements head..

Rodgers is excellent preparing for the big occasion, he thrives on it..

The preparation will be good this week, with McGregor, Hatate, CCV, O'Riley & Kyogo all looking back to their best add Maeda into the mix and its difficult to see past us.

Maybe Rodgers will be back to being Brendan after Sat.. :56:

13. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I agree. I didn't want him back and was one of his biggest critics before Christmas but he's got the team playing better football since then. We're passing it forward a lot more and our general play is a lot quicker resulting in more goal scoring chances created.
    The players coming back from injury has helped but I think it's the change in tactics that's made the biggest difference.

14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not a problem.

I might even have been guilty of saying exactly what you were responding too anyway in the past. So another opportunity for me to reconsider that.

Peej likes this.
  15. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Clement greeting what Rodgers said was disrespectful?

Too often managers (mainly huns) and media fuel the antagonist flames tonthese games creating hysteria.

Rodgers comes out and says we're going to have fun...you know like how football is meant to be for us all.
    Love how that has wound them up so much

Crilly and JC Anton like this.
  16. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    TOTALLY agree on the mind games with Clement. He has laid a trap for him and Clement has had his Keegan moment.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

I was looking at this last night. If (big IF) we win our last 3 games we end up on 93 points. We finished last season on 99.

With those 5 players missing and the state of the recruitment, is that good?

Peej likes this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Would go to show that when with boring performances, we've still been a solid side.

Still have even as it stands.

19. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Assuming we win those games, I struggle to believe Ange would have got more than 93 points with this squad.

Peej likes this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    With the sales and injuries, unlikely.

Gung-ho as *, we would have been more exposed at the back.

That's not a slight on Ange, I'd rather he stayed and honestly think he was on track for a good European campaign - assuming we backed him, which in hindsight(and foresight) we know he wouldn't have been.

We've won league titles in the not so distant past with 82, 86, 87 points.

Of course we would want to win it breaking the 100pts mark every season, but that's not always possible.

So assuming we win the league with 90-93pts, that's a great season comparably to most seasons.

Football entertainment has been massively questionable for the vast majority of games. But the results still stand.

As Rodgers would say, there is a narrative out there to beat us down, but the results and points tell a much better story.

martin_d and honda like this.