1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You were talking about an improvement in entertaining football though, not results, right? That's the point I'm addressing.

I think Rodgers has done fine since December, in terms of results, but the football has still been very concerning at points, and whilst there have been entertaining points, it's not been enteratining football, bar yesterday, which was excellent.

Every team grinds out results, so not expecting it every game. Tactices and shape have been missing this season too often. Hopefully, yesterday was a positive sign.

2. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    BR has played a blinder this week and got right in thier heads. Completely taking the focus of the players and allowing them to focus on the match.

Creativecelt likes this.
  3. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Well he certainly wouldn't have dropped 21 points.

4. murphy88

We scored 7 at home to Dundee, 4 against Livi in the cup, 3 at home against St. Johnstone, St. Mirren and Hearts. 3 away the huns and Livi. 3 in the cup against Aberdeen. That’s a massive improvement from the games just after the winter break where we were absolutely awful.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I actually don't want him to be responsible for recruitment. I don't think it's his strength. It worries me that he might now be given that responsibility and we go from one kind of bad window to another. Like you, I want a DoF, a new chief scout and an overhaul of our structure.

He is arrogant, I think that's true. I definitely prefer Ange as a person. But I also think he hasn't been given the tools he needed. There's a lot of differences between what Ange faced in his first season and what Rodgers faced. I'm not actually convinced that it's a helpful comparison in the first place. There's a lot that's hidden by statistics. For example, the points we dropped in February really rattled me more than points dropped before or since because we were actually being outplayed for large portions of games (sometimes entire halves). That's not normal, it certainly never happened under Ange and it's on Rodgers.

However, I think that if we do compare them, anyone who takes into account the shambles Ange inherited in judging Ange also has to take into account the last 3 windows when judging Rodgers. There's a lot of differences; but in both cases, we're talking about a major handicap.

That last point reminds me that comparisons are very premature as Ange won the double in spite of the handicap he faced and Rodgers still might finish the season trophyless. Hopefully, Rodgers will match him and we'll in a position to even make that comparison soon.

JC Anton likes this.
  6. murphy88

He did in his first season.

7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    With the squad Rodgers has had this season?

8. murphy88

Given how results went at the end of last season when we changed the team, with the injuries we’ve had this season, I think there’s a possibility we would have dropped a similar amount if Ange was in charge yes.

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mate, I've said Rodgers has done well since December in terms of results. But the point we were discsusing was about entertaining football.

Up until yesterday, other than the odd half its not been good football. Don't think that is even debatable.

If Rodgers can have the team play most games the way we played yesterday that will make a huge difference to how the season is percieved. Hopefully he keeps it going next week and we thump the hun in style.

Ryanm1984 and JC Anton like this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :56:- man you are the immovable mountain when it comes to Rodgers - good on you - everyone needs a hobby

JML67 likes this.
  11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Stick to digging holes mate football's no for you :giggle1:

12. murphy88

Ha. Aye ok. Ange isn’t coming back by the way.

13. murphy88

Results fell off a cliff when he changed the team. That’s a fact. So why is it so crazy to think the same couldn’t have happened given we have had loads of injuries to key players this season?

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good. I want Rodgers to stay and keep improving. Hopefully he's past the * he was producing earlier in the season.

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Whataboutery at it's finest. If your point was any thinner it wouldn't be percievable to the human eye.

Ange managed a far worse setup and won us the league. We aren't even talking hypotheticals here. There's a clear example of the previous manager taking charge of our club at a point of crisis and taking us forwards, and winning the league from a position probably 5 - 10x more difficult than the one Rodgers inherited. What happened last season after we won the second league under him matters in what terms?

The fact that you are making up hypotheticals that aren't as bad as the situations that actually happened isn't great for your argument.

16. murphy88

The person I was responding to said Ange wouldn’t drop 21 points. I simply pointed out he did first season. That’s not hypothetical. The poster then asked a hypothetical question whether it would have happened this season. That’s then down to opinion.

17. murphy88

Hopefully your hero Lawwell backs him to take us forward.

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough. You are right different context to what I thought was being discussed.

murphy88 likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lawwell will have nothing to do with it. And Rodgers won't have the luxury of palming off the blame to him if it doesn't go to plan. Thankfully most of us are capable of seeing past your Brendan's blue eyes and white smile and he will be fully accountable for how the team performs.

20. murphy88

Time will tell. Hopefully when Rodgers says we need first team ready players we actually get this time. You’ll be defending the board regardless of course like last summer.