1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :56:

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. Smithy

What did Dundee do that made them the better team for large parts? They might've had decent possession for a couple of 10 minute spells but hardly makes them the better team. I can't recall Hart making a single real save either, all their shots they had on target were catching practice for him.

JC Anton likes this.
  3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    First half they dominated midfield, only when Iwata came on did we start to get the upper hand. They nullified out main attacking threats too.

They created as much as we did, not excellent chances but if it wasn't for Forrest could we claim to be much better.

My main point was it wasn't a 3 - 0 game and that we aren't comfortable and I can't see us being until it's done and dusted.

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Father Forrest did.

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  5. Smithy

I think saying they dominated is a bit strong. We had 3 decent chances at 0-0 (Kuhn, Taylor and Hatate's efforts) and I don't recall Dundee really creating anything?

Iwata made a difference when he came on and steadied the ship, no doubt about that, but they were hardly all over us and cutting us open.

We made it nervy for ourselves as usual with a stupid own goal but these things can happen.

Wee Baldy, Artorias and NomDePlum like this.
  6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I do think some folk would be better off following Spurs for their own happiness

martin_d, Crilly, kenniemk2 and 3 others like this.
  7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ok change dominated to another word. Fine with that but I did think the lad with blond hair was the one who showed the most in midfield. Main point is still that there was nothing easy about it, but given the players we have available in midfield always feels like we should be so much more convincing and we aren't.

Wee Baldy and Smithy like this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why?

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Some folk have Ange glasses

martin_d, kenniemk2 and NomDePlum like this.
  10. murphy88

:56:

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cos they're * miserable *.

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think both things can be true.

1 - Rodgers was dealt an utterly abysmal hand in the transfer window
    2 - We've been far from good enough domestically.

He has no excuse for the constant amount of points we've dropped at home this season. St Johnstone, Motherwell, Hearts and Kilmarnock are all games we should be winning, and the first two we should be winning very comfortably. The football itself has also been abysmal, where I can count the amount of good domestic games we've had on one hand (Huns x2, Dundee and Aberdeen at home, Hearts away first time round)

He's also had the likes of Scales, Taylor, Yang and M Johnston play large swaths of this season, and we've missed the likes of Hatate, McGregor, CCV and Maeda for large chunks, not to mention we lost Jota and Starfelt at the start.

If he doesn't win the league this season, then it'd be best for all parties if he left, but if he does win it, then I'd hope he stays and we actually fully back him next season.

We were best under Rodgers when we had an overlapping fullback in Tierney and two Rapid wingers on each side (Forrest and Sinclair) with a tricky winger in Roberts to intertwine. None of our current wingers really fit either other than Daizen, who is rapid but incredibly inconsistent.

We have two slow fullbacks who can't overlap to save themselves, and were clearly made for an inverted system. There are so many times we have our winger near the six yard box, with our fullbacks in midfield, which worked wonders if Ange's system, but it's clear we need them overlapping in Rodgers system.

It's easy to say Rodgers should adapt to what Ange built, but Ange's system is very unique, there's a reason people were talking about it outside of Scotland. It was excellent and very easy on the eye to watch, but it's not a system a lot of managers play.

Win the league and the Scottish cup and, despite the horrific football, I'd mark it down as a good season. Vast improvements next year would of course be needed, but it'd be a step in the right direction.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Wee Baldy, Sween, Ryanm1984 and 2 others like this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not falling for that again. Bought the jumper then he stopped wearing it. Nice jumper all the same.

Never even seen Ange wear glasses.

14. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    I will send him your best wishes. He had some insights about SEVCO’S New CEO too which was equally interesting.

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Send him my wishes with best regards.

Do we have the privilege of insight into what was said about this new CEO? (Didn't even know they had one).

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Invincible season aside we've always been inconsistent under BR in the league. Was one of the reasons I didn't want him back.

Folk seemed to think the invincible season was the norm under him when by in the large performances were pretty * in his other 2 seasons.

We also look a lot more nervous this season than we have previously.

To honest even if we win the league I wouldn't be too upset with a new manager in the summer. We need something fresh again like when Ange came in

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  17. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Haha

18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This.

Almost everything I dreaded when he was announced has happened.

Plodding football with pathetically lethargic build up play, and horrific recruitment.

Of course there's an argument to be made about the "hand he got dealt" in the transfer market, but again, those were the players he signed off on, and his actual input is still open to interpretation.

Either he acquiesced to these signings without knowing a thing about them, recognized they weren't good enough and signed off anyway, or actually thought they were indeed good enough. Each possibility raises its own problems and he should be accountable accordingly.

And it's still not truly a good enough excuse to explain away the abysmal football we've played domestically at times.

Injuries have played a massive part I will concede, but that's part and parcel of the game. Big players get injuries, you deal with it, and keep going.

He has the best squad in the country, by a big * margin. We shouldn't be struggling to beat ANYONE. Football is football, and bad days inevitably happen. But it's not been anywhere near good enough.

That's the simple reality.

I said I'd give him 2 seasons to prove he's got what it takes, dependant on whether he retained the title of course.
    He's got a * * of alot of work to do if he ever wants the naysayers like myself to truly celebrate his return.

So far... He's been a * appointment, and is scraping by.

19. Sween

I don't think our squad is absolutely miles ahead of rangers anymore. We have a better team than they do which is why we've done well against them and why were favourites to win the league. But we are no longer levels apart, especially when you consider big injuries to guys like CCV and Hatate.

Rodgers is also up against a better Rangers side. If they were as poor as they were under Beale we would be 15 points clear and no one would be stressing. People may still be underwhelmed but no one would be wanting Rodgers to leave when on the cusp of a double.

He deserves to get a chance to bring in his own players and to be funded properly to do so. Then we can judge him, but I think it's unfair to aim so much criticism at him right now.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    Sonic Reducer and murphy88 like this.
  20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He is against a better Rangers side than he faced in his first spell but they aren't any better than the one Ange had been up against. The only reason they are close is because of the stupid points we've dropped. If we were anywhere near as consistent as we have been in previous seasons we would be about 10 points ahead. Pretty sure Beale had a better record by this point than Clement

I know we've had injuries and * recruitment but to be Derek McInnes and Stephen Naismiths * is embarrassing

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    johnfife1959 likes this.